Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can someone help me with VAMS concerning 1922 Peace Dollar?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2022 8:39PM

I know nothing about peace dollar vams but I pulled up a tv of a coin facts vam 12-a, and yours doesn’t look anything like it. I do see some type of doubling but I may just be mechanical doubling. Someone else will clarify I’m sure

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    edited December 27, 2022 7:34PM
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like damage on the lip and strike doubling. Your "mark" needs to look EXACTLY like DD's picture, not just a mark in the general area

• Options
    edited December 27, 2022 8:36PM
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcourtney123.... Very good pictures... Looks like machine doubling to me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I'm happy to help but its often difficult without the coin in hand. You have 3 rays (lines) under the ONE and a detached olive branch. It's no doubt a B1 reverse. I suggest going to my link and open each VAM for the B1 and try to match the pictures and descriptions to your coin. Use a zoom setting similar to what you see in the VamWorld pictures.

You're lucky in that the B1 reverse has fewer listed VAMs. I find doubling/tripling tough to decipher. Gouges, chips, and breaks are often very obvious. Clashes not so much. If using a handheld scope w/light, moving it around can make anomalies appear/disappear. I can tell from your pictures you don't have a collar clash or cud. I don't see any cracks but VAMs aren't created for mere cracks. They must have another qualifying anomally such as a break or cud (a break and a crack are not the same thing).

The only thing I see in your pictures is a possible VAM 39. Look for the gouge below B of LIBERTY on the obverse. Good luck.
    ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/1922-P_VAMs

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
  • Options

@lcourtney123 said:

@PapiNE said:
    I'm happy to help but its often difficult without the coin in hand. You have 3 rays (lines) under the ONE and a detached olive branch. It's no doubt a B1 reverse. I suggest going to my link and open each VAM for the B1 and try to match the pictures and descriptions to your coin. Use a zoom setting similar to what you see in the VamWorld pictures.

You're lucky in that the B1 reverse has fewer listed VAMs. I find doubling/tripling tough to decipher. Gouges, chips, and breaks are often very obvious. Clashes not so much. If using a handheld scope w/light, moving it around can make anomalies appear/disappear. I can tell from your pictures you don't have a collar clash or cud. I don't see any cracks but VAMs aren't created for mere cracks. They must have another qualifying anomally such as a break or cud (a break and a crack are not the same thing).

The only thing I see in your pictures is a possible VAM 39. Look for the gouge below B of LIBERTY on the obverse. Good luck.
    ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/1922-P_VAMs

Thank you so much for this. I am going now to read it. It does have many B1 qualities I guess is a good way to say it. I see more maybe this Vam 39 will help me. My big question is should I send it in for grading? Also, would I mark attribution on it?
    I have never sent anything in and been practicing the form a few times. I have watched videos as well. I keep catching things I do wrong. The last video I watched said they will correct and call you, if need be, that made me feel more comfortable. I appreciate your guidance this is such an interesting hobby. I have never focused on anything like this before. I am trying hard to do things properly for PCGS

Now I'm not a vam guy, but I might be able to be of assistance regarding your question about grading. When one considers getting a coin graded and encapsulated, you must evaluate the reasoning for doing so. Is the coin of sentimental value, and you want to authenticate it and preserve its condition? Have you been practicing grading and want to see how your assigned grades measure up to a tpg? Do you plan on selling the coin in the near future and believe that it will be worth more once encapsulated? Based on your previous post history, I'm goin to assume its the latter scenario.

In that case, one must do three things before proceeding:

1. Identify the coin, and assign an approximate grade (better to be conservative here)
    2. Compare sold prices of similar graded examples, to similar examples that are raw
    3. Evaluate all potential fees associated with grading i.e.: Grading Fee, submission fee, shipping, insurance, attribution, turnaround time? etc. , then subtract all those costs from the estimated net proceeds from selling the graded coin. If the resulting amount exceeds the average sale price of a raw example, then it may be beneficial to have the coin graded.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2023 3:14PM
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2023 3:25PM

@lcourtney123 said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@lcourtney123 said:
    @jmlanzaf I have been wanting to send in some of the good ones I have. I don't feel comfortable putting a price tag on them for the value I think they are worth. The coin is in good shape. Trying to determine. Could anyone help me ? I noticed its off center as well.

Common date in common circulated condition (au?). It’s not off center enough to warrant an extra premium. There’s no financial upside to send that one in, the grading fees would likely cost more than the coin is worth.

I figure a lot of my coins will not be valuable. However, it sure would be awesome to have them all graded over time. You never know who may be looking for what? I really just want to show em off right now. I don't have key dates but surely have some beauties.

I actually forgot that I had posted a comment on this thread a while ago and an answered your question about getting it slabbed. I would pay less attention to my first comment which you quoted, but pay more attention to my recent, more comprehensive reply above. You can refer to that any time you’re considering using a grading service

• Options
    edited January 3, 2023 6:14PM

@lcourtney123 said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@lcourtney123 said:
    @jmlanzaf I have been wanting to send in some of the good ones I have. I don't feel comfortable putting a price tag on them for the value I think they are worth. The coin is in good shape. Trying to determine. Could anyone help me ? I noticed its off center as well.

Common date in common circulated condition (au?). It’s not off center enough to warrant an extra premium. There’s no financial upside to send that one in, the grading fees would likely cost more than the coin is worth.

I figure a lot of my coins will not be valuable. However, it sure would be awesome to have them all graded over time. You never know who may be looking for what? I really just want to show em off right now. I don't have key dates but surely have some beauties.

Why would you ever want to spend $30 to grade a $30 coin just because somebody might be looking for it? Your Peace $ is worth $25 to $30. Someone wants it now. Spend $30 putting it in plastic and the same person still wants it for $25 to $30.

• Options
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all due respect, I just don't understand your approach.

On another thread you've asked if anyone can mentor you, but you are getting some great advice here but you are just rejecting it.

On another thread you mention that you were trying to sell a Peace Dollar on ebay, but above you say that it's not about the money.

On the other thread you say that you want to get all your coins graded and you seem to have joined PCGS, but you haven't shown any coins yet that experienced people think are worth grading.

If you're having fun and are aware that you are probably throwing away money then you are all set. But if you are looking for people to endorse that approach then I don't think you'll have much luck.

Just my opinion...

• Options
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcourtney123 said:
    If I am a burden to you with my questions, please move on to the next and don't waste your time on me. Critiquing is uncalled for.
    just my opinion

This attitude right here is your downfall.

What you call "critiquing" is exactly the kind of advice you should be listening to. You have gotten lots of great "mentoring" from people here but you won't listen to it.

No one said anything about you being a "burden" or criticized your "lingo". I have no idea where you got that from but for some reason you choose to see it in those terms.

In any case, good luck with your hobby.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2023 6:26PM
  • Options

@JBK said:

@lcourtney123 said:
    If I am a burden to you with my questions, please move on to the next and don't waste your time on me. Critiquing is uncalled for.
    just my opinion

This attitude right here is your downfall.

What you call "critiquing" is exactly the kind of advice you should be listening to. You have gotten lots of great "mentoring" from people here but you won't listen to it.

No one said anything about you being a "burden" or criticized your "lingo". I have no idea where you got that from but for some reason you choose to see it in those terms.

In any case, good luck with your hobby.

At one point, they said they could no longer work and wanted to make a business out of it. So I share your confusion about the goals here.

• Options

@lcourtney123 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@lcourtney123 said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@lcourtney123 said:

Why would you ever want to spend $30 to grade a $30 coin just because subduing might be looking for it? Your Peace $ is worth $25 to $30. Someone wants it now. Spend $30 putting it in plastic and the same person still wants it for $25 to $30.

It isn't all about making money for me or selling them. I guess everyone has their own reasons. I wasted more on worse things lol....

You specifically said slabbing it because someone might want it. I didn't realize the someone was your nephew and it was his birthday. My apologies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file