Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver Coin Detecting Roll Machines

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 26, 2022 9:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm sure this has been asked here somewhere before.

Do the coin rolling companies (Brinks, Loomis, etc..), coin sorting and rolling machines detect and pull out/eject silver coins?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

They probably have some machine that weeds out slugs and foreign coins that would also remove silver coins and obsolete US coins such as 1943 cents. Hopefully, someone here who works for one of these companies will comment on their process.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Coinstar often rejects silver dimes... Not sure if it always does. I would think those companies have some sort of detection capabilities. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

During the changeover from silver to clad in the mid-1960's, once there were enough clad coins in circulation to carry the load, the Mints began pulling silver back out of circulation by running dimes and quarters through weighing machines that had originally been ordered to catch missing clad layer planchets prior to striking. By tweaking the expected weights they were able to separate the heavier silver coins from the clad and just keep the silver ones.

This was fairly labor intensive, and they discontinued the sorting when the percentage of silver being recovered fell too low to be cost effective, but not zero. Considering how little silver there is out in the wild today, there is no way that it could be cost effective for a simple coin depot to weigh each coin going through.

And all of this makes me ask a question of the Coin Star checkers. The machines reject silver coins because they are heavier than the normal clad ones. Do they reject pre-1982 cents for the same reason? I ask because I just half an hour ago got this Unc-ish 1960-D cents in change at a Dairy Queen, complete with fresh coin wrapper scratch. Would Coin Star reject this?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2022 5:16PM

Having trouble with pictures.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    During the changeover from silver to clad in the mid-1960's, once there were enough clad coins in circulation to carry the load, the Mints began pulling silver back out of circulation by running dimes and quarters through weighing machines that had originally been ordered to catch missing clad layer planchets prior to striking. By tweaking the expected weights they were able to separate the heavier silver coins from the clad and just keep the silver ones.

This was fairly labor intensive, and they discontinued the sorting when the percentage of silver being recovered fell too low to be cost effective, but not zero. Considering how little silver there is out in the wild today, there is no way that it could be cost effective for a simple coin depot to weigh each coin going through.

And all of this makes me ask a question of the Coin Star checkers. The machines reject silver coins because they are heavier than the normal clad ones. Do they reject pre-1982 cents for the same reason? I ask because I just half an hour ago got this Unc-ish 1960-D cents in change at a Dairy Queen, complete with fresh coin wrapper scratch. Would Coin Star reject this?

A simply brilliant reply and explanation Tom, THANK YOU!! 👍🏻

I look forward to the answer of your Coin Star question.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure they have ways to sort copper, I would think they can sort silver.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

Do the coin rolling companies (Brinks, Loomis, etc..), coin sorting and rolling machines detect and pull out/eject silver coins?

Yes, coin machines sort by size and weight. The 90% junk gets kicked out at Brinks, Loomis, etc. Just like it does at the coinstar. Junk weighs more than clad. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yes, coin machines sort by size and weight. The 90% junk gets kicked out at Brinks, Loomis, etc. Just like it does at the coinstar. Junk weighs more than clad. RGDS!

Thank you for the additional feedback. That's most likely the reason I'm not finding much silver in bank wrapped rolls. I would only make one change to your statement. I would say: "silver weighs more than clad" not junk. The junk is the clad! 👍🏻 😉

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I'm not so sure about the coin processors sorting out the silver coins, yet. Like just last week I found 15 silver dimes in a batch of MWR. Although I did heard that hunters in AZ may disagree, so it may be regional.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

The machines reject silver coins because they are heavier than the normal clad ones.

@blitzdude said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I don't think it has anything to do with weight today.
    For $70 or so you can build a coin comparator, i did it to sort copper cents but it could also sort out the silver, based on size and metal content.
    https://youtu.be/cta_kxNzK9g
    not my video.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my quarter Coin Roll Searching, I have found silver (6 this year) found Canadian coins, slugs, nickels, and other Foreign Coins, from rolling companies, so I say no they do not pull silver...

• Options

The only thing I found in a COinStar machine this year was a clad dime that had been exposed to some sort of corrosive environment. The cu-ni surfaces were pitted, the the copper core on the edge had been eaten away maybe half a millimeter so that there is a groove around the edge. This of course made the coin lighter, and I believe that that is why the coin was rejected.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Rydale machine that sorts copper pennies for me. However, I need to search the zinc for shell brass wheat cents, as the alloy falls out of tolerance. It's a pretty nifty little machine, but I don't use it as much as I used to.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember armored truck companies and banks using clear plastic rolls for dimes, quarters and half's back during the changeover in 1965.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

btw What is the percentage of copper/zinc cents are you seeing in rolls these days. About 10 years ago it was about 20% or so copper in my area when I stopped checking.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@metalmeister said:
    I remember armored truck companies and banks using clear plastic rolls for dimes, quarters and half's back during the changeover in 1965.

That would be a great way to spot silver today! 👍🏻 😂

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metalmeister It's still around 20% in my area.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always check my own rejects to make sure they’re not a wrong planchet error.

• Options
    hawkowlhawkowl Posts: 30 ✭✭

I suspect that, if some coin rolling companies pull silver, certainly not all do, or at least not in all areas. I just hit a "jackpot" on a box of halves from Loomis: 13-1964 Kennedys, 4-40% silver Kennedys,12-Benjamin Franklin halves and 4-Walking Liberty halves. Obviously, this is a very rare occurrence, but there are still some silver coins out there in the wild.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I was CRH for W quarters the boxes of old coin rolls would yield on average one Silver quarter per box. 😉🤑🤑🤑

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2023 6:55AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Back when I was CRH for W quarters the boxes of old coin rolls would yield on average one Silver quarter per box. 😉🤑🤑🤑

Like a slowly fading scratch-off ticket the big winners have all been found :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file