Home Sports Talk

NBA basketball..

olb31olb31 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you every thought the NBA was legit, here is a nice example of why it's not.. the Golden State Warriors and currently 11th in the West and out of the playoffs if they started today. They have the BEST home record in the NBA. Couple this with WORST record on the road.

In the class, statistics, which I took at college, this would be a huge outlier and would need way further texting to see if this made any sense, which it doesn't. They route the Celtics at home and can't beat Cal Poly on the road. They were 8 1/2 point dogs without Curry last night at home against the Western Conferences's number 1 or 2 team and crushed them.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

    NBA threads are not allowed on the Sports Forum.

    Go to your room. No supper for you. :)

  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I understand, I will post generically when talking about that Organization. LOL!!

    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @olb31 said:
    if you every thought the NBA was legit, here is a nice example of why it's not.. the Golden State Warriors and currently 11th in the West and out of the playoffs if they started today. They have the BEST home record in the NBA. Couple this with WORST record on the road.

    In the class, statistics, which I took at college, this would be a huge outlier and would need way further texting to see if this made any sense, which it doesn't. They route the Celtics at home and can't beat Cal Poly on the road. They were 8 1/2 point dogs without Curry last night at home against the Western Conferences's number 1 or 2 team and crushed them.

    ...
    In my opinion you are talking about two different things. Professional sports, college sports, and basically anything else in the world where big money is involved, is rigged to different degrees. Anyone who thinks anything that people bet on isn't rigged, whether it's elections or sports, is not being honest or just needs to be convinced. But the idea of a team being night and day home and road is not uncommon and , in my opinion, not tied into the rigging aspect. But I'm open to listen if you want to elaborate.

  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @olb31 said:
    if you every thought the NBA was legit, here is a nice example of why it's not.. the Golden State Warriors and currently 11th in the West and out of the playoffs if they started today. They have the BEST home record in the NBA. Couple this with WORST record on the road.

    In the class, statistics, which I took at college, this would be a huge outlier and would need way further texting to see if this made any sense, which it doesn't. They route the Celtics at home and can't beat Cal Poly on the road. They were 8 1/2 point dogs without Curry last night at home against the Western Conferences's number 1 or 2 team and crushed them.

    I think this current Dubs team is a borderline anomaly right now. They're coming off a title run but as a roster they've got one foot in the "let's win now door" with the other in the "let's develop our next core" at the same time and it hasn't worked out as planned. They've also had a string on Injuries/DNPs that has likely played into that huge gap in their home/road record.

    The team has played 34 games and here are the number for each main contributor:
    Curry has missed 8 games, 7 on the road
    Klay has missed 7 games, 5 on the road
    Green has missed 4 games, all 4 on the road
    Wiggins has missed 12 games, 9 on the road
    Divencenzo has missed 10 games, 8 on the road
    Kuminga has missed 4 games, 3 on the road
    Jamychal Green has missed 6 games, 3 on the road
    The only other player that they expected more from was James Wiseman whose played 17/34 games but has also spent time in the G league after missing all of last year.

    I know that not of all those games missed were injury related and it looks like GS gave quite a few of their players rest nights while on the road which probably has alot to do with the bad road record. If the team is goin to rest players let it be on the road so that their own fans get to see them at home.

    Also you have to add in that the Warriors defense is horrible this season compared to last. They're currently the 26th ranked defense where they finished 3rd overall in the regular season a year ago. Gary Payton Jr (great defender) and Otto Porter Jr (good defender) are both gone from last year and this current roster,mainly the older core, is now another year older.
    Wiggins could be considered their #1 defender or 1A to Draymond Green and he's missed over a 3rd of their games. Their paint defense isn't close to what it has been during the better years either.

    All this negative play yet they still managed to beat down Boston so bad when they came to town that it sent the C's reeling with 5 losses in 6 games over a 10-12 day span. It left most of our fanbase wondering how much post-Finals PTSD was this team dealing with lol.

  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2022 3:16PM

    @erikthredd said:
    Also you have to add in that the Warriors defense is horrible this season compared to last. They're currently the 26th ranked defense where they finished 3rd overall in the regular season a year ago. Gary Payton Jr (great defender) and Otto Porter Jr (good defender) are both gone from last year and this current roster,mainly the older core, is now another year older.
    Wiggins could be considered their #1 defender or 1A to Draymond Green and he's missed over a 3rd of their games. Their paint defense isn't close to what it has been during the better years either.

    Here's their home/road splits:
    Home: 15games 120ppg/113ppg opponents
    Road: 19 games 113ppg/123ppg opponents
    Also looks like their FG%/3pt%/Reb/Ass/Stl/Blks averages are all down on the road too.

    Just a really odd season from a team that just won the last Finals. The Coach & GM are in a tough position right now, do you trade these younger players & picks for more depth or do you ride it out but chance missing out on the playoffs entirely? Barring anymore major injuries I think that they make the playoffs but that's not a given right now.

  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2022 10:09AM

    What is this thing basketball?

  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The team has played 34 total games with 19 on road and here are the games missed for each main contributor:
    Curry has missed 8 games, 7 on the road DUBS 0-6 road record when out
    Klay has missed 7 games, 5 on the road DUBS 0-5 road record when out
    Green has missed 4 games, all 4 on the road DUBS 0-4 road record when out
    Wiggins has missed 12 games, 9 on the road DUBS 0-9 road record when out
    Divencenzo has missed 10 games, 8 on the road DUBS 0-8 road record when out
    Kuminga has missed 4 games, 3 on the road Dubs 0-3 road record when out
    Jamychal Green has missed 6 games, 3 on the road DUBS 0-3 road record when out

    To sum up this discussion on why GS is so bad on the road compared to home, the players mostly miss road games that they continually lose.

  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

    In just about every team sport, the players ‘running things’ is bad for the business of winning. The quality of play is in decline in just about every sport while athleticism is on the rise.

    The NBA seems to lead in this as I liken the modern NBA to the WWE; sure, it’s a form of the sport but…

    …come on.

    Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If GS makes the playoffs and is healthy, they will be tough to beat. The team will likely be playing very well with all players meshing.

  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm guessing the end of the season is what really matters -
    2022 Golden State Warriors 4‑2 Boston Celtics

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Steven59 said:
    I'm guessing the end of the season is what really matters -
    2022 Golden State Warriors 4‑2 Boston Celtics

    Yup that's what previously happened in the June 2022 Finals, I doubt we see that same result in June 2023. 😎

  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Doncic had a record night yesterday in a 126-121 OT win over the Nicks............

    1). 60 points, surpassing Dirk Nowitzki’s 53 for most in Mavericks single-game history
    2). 21 rebounds, a career high and part of the first 60-point, 20-board triple-double in league annals
    3). 10 assists, rounding out the 52nd triple-double of his career
    4). Scored or assisted on 16 of the 23 points Dallas scored in the fourth quarter and overtime

    "And all of it mattered, helping the Mavericks miraculously erase a nine-point deficit in the final 26.8 seconds of regulation — more on that below — before pulling away in OT for the victory."

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Steven59 said:
    Doncic had a record night yesterday in a 126-121 OT win over the Nicks............

    1). 60 points, surpassing Dirk Nowitzki’s 53 for most in Mavericks single-game history
    2). 21 rebounds, a career high and part of the first 60-point, 20-board triple-double in league annals
    3). 10 assists, rounding out the 52nd triple-double of his career
    4). Scored or assisted on 16 of the 23 points Dallas scored in the fourth quarter and overtime

    "And all of it mattered, helping the Mavericks miraculously erase a nine-point deficit in the final 26.8 seconds of regulation — more on that below — before pulling away in OT for the victory."

    And the best part? We now all know that he could have a successful tap dance career once basketball ends. 😉
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2bnkR0bWQo

  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Took the warriors at home and they covered.

    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Luka is a fantastic player. Good team player. But their team is just, ok. He needs a little help.

    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2023 8:19PM

    Damn, tonight VS Suns, Cavs were dead ducks the first Half - But without DG they came back on Neto's & Donavan's shoulders and got the win!

    EDIT: Cavs 90 - Suns 88

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Sign In or Register to comment.