Home Precious Metals
Options

Buying on eBay

Hey everyone…just started following on here. I’m a newer collector, and was wondering what your thoughts are on buying PMs off of eBay? Is it like everything else on eBay? Do your research, reputable seller accounts, etc…any other factors? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    SilveryfireSilveryfire Posts: 14
    edited December 25, 2022 10:07PM

You want to only buy things that you can tell are real otherwise you are taking a lot of risk. For example, I'd be willing to buy vintage bars on there because there aren't fakes of them but wouldn't buy generic from random people. Plus the fees are high for that.

I've seen people with perfect feedback on ebay selling some shady items or straight scams.

There are some big dealers on there though. Years back sometimes dealers would list cheap just to clear out inventory on occasion. How the prices were so low and they covered fees idk(special deal i assume) but i haven't seen that in this seller's market. People would also order stuff with ebay bucks but you can't do that for bullion anymore, I don't believe.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

" Do your research, reputable seller accounts, etc…"

Sounds like you have purchased on ebay before.... all of the above certainly apply.

since you specified that you are a newer collector.... stick with the well known names / dealers on ebay. There certainly are bargains on ebay... but until you get the 'feel' for bullion type purchases on ebay, best to remain cautious.

I also try to time purchases with any ebay promotion such as 5% or more off promotions, etc.

----- kj
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jpace23... Welcome aboard. If you buy slabbed bullion, and do the prior scrutiny, from reputable sellers, you will be safe. I would recommend a lot of caution, and read this forum (and the U.S. coin forum) for a history of scams on ebay. The Buy Sell Trade forum (BST) here is a good resource and reasonably safe. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've purchased a lot of 90% U.S. silver on eBay over the years, but a far as gold bullion coins/bars goes, I prefer to purchase them in person, in a reputable coin shop.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2022 7:40PM

I sell some there. It's less costly through the shop , but wherever it's cheapest ( and genuine) is from where one should stack.