Home U.S. Coin Forum

Curious IHC from a recent dig group

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took advantage of a brief 50's morning to revisit an old farm. Dug 7 IHCs, 1881, 84, 89, 91, 92, 93 and a weird 1907 that is smaller, thinner and lighter by the following: 18.1mm, 0.7mm and 1.4g. All the obv and rev design features are there but it ain't right. With all the recent talk about fakes, it got me thinking. See pics and your thoughts are welcome. Thanks. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just old corrosion damage.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, I'm good with that. Thanks

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you look through enough tubs/buckets/boxes of low-dollar coins for the type, you'll come across these. imo, it has been acided, not just a ground find. i've seen pretty much all but gold usa types like this. several morgans/peace/buffs/barbers/indians/lincs etc.

sometimes people post em here and sometimes they get called counterfeit.

image>
    image>

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, my dug cents never look that good! You got good dirt.

Acidized, that's a first for me. Makes perfect sense with all 3 dimensions reduced. @MarkKelley yeah nice loamy soil, and now frozen like a rock. I think it was below an old clothes line.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thinness of the letters and date, mainly the "T"s in cents are evident of an acid effect. Seen this effect many times.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the 'acid' effect..... Since all dimensions seem affected.... Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those IHC look better than the ones I found in the coin star machines.Nice finds!

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69
    Makes me want to buy a metal detector. Then I remember where I live and half the year the ground is frozen. 😂
    Although the train has been coming through town for over a hundred years so perhaps this summer. While it’s sub zero outside might be a good time to research how to use a detector and which one to buy. There’s miles of world famous gold medal fly fishing waters Headwaters of the Colorado river. Between that and skiing/ winter sports lots of tourists and old cabins, lodges and the western entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. Lot’s of potential.
    I’m always fascinated with your discoveries and enjoy your taking time to post😀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

@Jzyskowski1 My not so secret weapon is my Walls thermal coveralls, those little heat packs and staying in the sun. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is one i found in my archives.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Thanks Lance, Now I do appreciate the shrinkage all the way around.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file