Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Quick question on EBAY authentication program

I recently bought 14 cards on ebay. Seller said in description 1st card shipping cost is fixed at highest $ and all others are $1.00 each. Shipping ended up being far more. Four cards were higher than the $250.00 ebay guarantee figure. They had to be shipped separately (each one) on their own and cannot be combined. My question is: Is this program mandatory? There was nothing said in item descriptions at all. I wasn't even aware of this. Why would I need a PSA graded card authenticated anyways?
I formally asked just to combine them and up front in writing I considered the cards authentic.

Is this the absolute dumbest thing ebay ever came up with????? If so, why not make it a choice on the buyer. Not to mention the delay to get my cards. Good grief, what if this was a xmas present.

Merry Xmas to you all.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2022 6:17AM

Yes it's mandatory, and yes it's dumb. Nothing the seller can do about it. Even though it's already graded, it's to assure you that the case isn't tampered with and the card switched out. Much like this card. https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1084436/fake-holder#latest

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you leave them in the eBay case or take them out?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    I recently bought 14 cards on ebay. Seller said in description 1st card shipping cost is fixed at highest $ and all others are $1.00 each. Shipping ended up being far more. Four cards were higher than the $250.00 ebay guarantee figure. They had to be shipped separately (each one) on their own and cannot be combined. My question is: Is this program mandatory? There was nothing said in item descriptions at all. I wasn't even aware of this. Why would I need a PSA graded card authenticated anyways?
    I formally asked just to combine them and up front in writing I considered the cards authentic.

Is this the absolute dumbest thing ebay ever came up with????? If so, why not make it a choice on the buyer. Not to mention the delay to get my cards. Good grief, what if this was a xmas present.

Merry Xmas to you all.

There are enough fake slabs on eBay that eBay doesn't want to take the chance. There are also enough clowns on eBay willing to file a SNAD when a player gets hurt and the value of the card goes down, or even when the buyer is unable to flip the card for a "big profit" and files a SNAD. This way eBay independently determines whether the lot is "as described" before the buyer even has a chance to be upset.

Bottom line is that too many clowns on eBay have ruined it for everyone.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I do like the idea that once its authenticated, you pretty much are covered and no shenanigans. That being said, I have sold $190 cards that were graded and had to go through authentication and $190 cards ungraded that didnt. It would be better if there was some consistency

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

How is it determined then?

Shane