Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fake Holder?

Is this a fake holder? It certainly doesn't look legit as I don't see the button seals in the corners below the label. Of course the card is also grossly overgraded based on the flip.

https://ebay.com/itm/115620653200?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5337442852&toolid=10001&customid=WL+Email%5E115620653200%5E6743

Comments

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the PSA grader had a little too much to drink :/

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the sellers other graded cards look the same. They are either the worst 8's ever graded, or the slabs have been tampered with.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

The case looks fake to me

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 8:43PM

Here is the real card.

The cases from the fraudulent seller look fake, but the flips look disturbingly real.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. The flip on the F Robby I posted at the top of the thread is an old generation label but the holder looks more like a new generation slab. The legit Robby shows the proper holder with the tamper evident 'buttons' below the label. The one on the left stands out the most in the After Market photo. The holder on the bogus example has the horizontal lines for tamper detection.

• Options

@gemint said:
    Interesting. The flip on the F Robby I posted at the top of the thread is an old generation label but the holder looks more like a new generation slab. The legit Robby shows the proper holder with the tamper evident 'buttons' below the label. The one on the left stands out the most in the After Market photo. The holder on the bogus example has the horizontal lines for tamper detection.

Please report this seller and his cards to eBay.

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Just reported this item to Ebay. Definitely not the real deal.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

It's scary how real the flip looks in the first photo.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly not an accidental acquisition by the seller who listed it, as he has many fakes listed. Does PSA ever get directly involved with ebay as far as shutting this stuff down? Seems like their name would carry more weight in proceeding with cases than all of us individuals. I'm not an attorney, but I would think that depending on the scale/volume, PSA could initiate criminal charges?

• Options

The seller also seems to be selecting cards that fall below the Authenticity Guarantee threshold.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes...the seller has a '59 Kluszewski and '64 Drysdale out there too. Clearly not PSA 8's. And they have sold 12,000 items since 2016.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fakes are getting better and better - am sure that is why PSA a was more than happy to jump onboard the authenticity program. If this seller took a nice 6 or a 7 and did the same thing it would have been pretty convincing.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

IMO, it seems the seller has access to slabs and a sealer, then is cracking out legitimate cards and using the legitimate label in a new slab with a low grade card.

Scary stuff.

• Options

@georgebailey2 said:
    IMO, it seems the seller has access to slabs and a sealer, then is cracking out legitimate cards and using the legitimate label in a new slab with a low grade card.

Scary stuff.

I agree with you but disagree on the label part. I don't think he is cracking out real cards and using the label. That would be too expensive over time. I believe he is making fake labels off of real cert numbers.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

the barcode on the "fake" one is legit and brings you to the correct card. luckily PSA already deactivated it. im betting its the real label, and the person just reholdered it somehow.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

It's the same label from the original slab. It was cracked open. Legit card got re-subbed to produce another graded slab/label. Person used the original label with an inferior card as you can see it's beat up on the corners and surface crap. Get cases from China. Laser etch PSA on the cases' corners. Also, the bar can be etched on as well if the slabs from China don't have the bars. I ****ing hate PSA and hope to see more of this.

• Options

The eBay link doesn't work. What is the eBay ID of the seller?

• Options

Sorry I didn't write it down. The auction got pulled because he was hawking a bogus item.

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

So the model appears to be - invest in high end card, use submissions to get labels, use labels to create fakes with china slabs - if the owner of a high end card is gonna do this there isn’t much stopping them - if they had used a 6 or a 7 it prob would t be noticed and would be filed under “can’t believe they gave it that grade” and accepted until someone noticed the slab itself didn’t look right….this is going to get much worse I think

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's things like this that add value to the eBay warrantee.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Securescan is all that more important each day…

• Options

Just searched the cert and PSA has temporarily deactivated it, asking owner to call.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder how profitable this scheme even would be based on the fact the resub with PSA, with modern standards, they’re probably slapping you with a PSA 6-7 on that Robinson.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ahmanfan said:
    Wonder how profitable this scheme even would be based on the fact the resub with PSA, with modern standards, they’re probably slapping you with a PSA 6-7 on that Robinson.

Interesting.. then its; Elimination of Profiting from Falsifications through Forced Maintaining of Census Medians.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.