Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

2023 Numismatic Goals

bosoxbosox Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 21, 2022 2:33AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum
  1. Finish the book I have been working on for three years.

2. Write a few numismatic articles that I promised people and upon which I have been recalcitrant and remiss.

3. Try to find a nice coin or two or three.

What are your goals?

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Rob, I think one of your 2023 goals would be to slow down a little. The RCNA needs you up and well

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding coins I don't currently have in my primary series is always first. Upgrades if financially reasonable is second.

That's the goal every year.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set of goals!

1. Stay focused
    2. Add a major coin if at all possible
    3. Attend more shows
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

keep collecting coins that get my notice

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

King Charles III sovereign
    Tudor beasts releases
    George IV and William IV sovereigns

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

Make significant progress on one or both of the books that I am working on.

@3stars said:
    Tudor beasts releases

Nice list. For the King Charles, are you looking for the 2022 memorial sovereign or the 2023 standard?

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Exbrit said:
    Make significant progress on one or both of the books that I am working on.

@3stars said:
    Tudor beasts releases

Nice list. For the King Charles, are you looking for the 2022 memorial sovereign or the 2023 standard?

2023 standard. Probably there will be a coronation related one as well.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

My world coin goals for 2023 are pretty modest:

1. Add at least one coin that fits well in my gold minors set.
    2. Stop bidding on things that are awesome but don't fit any sets
    3. Attend the ANA
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rabbits! Rabbits and more Rabbits! :D

I’ve already started:

• My goals for 2023 are quite humble...
    Be thankful for what I have collected so far. As stated earlier, cull the herd and focus on those that bring me joy. Spend more time cultivating relationships with like-minded collectors.

• DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Not really sure at this time. Most of the British coins I was looking for happened to become available and I didn't want to pass them by. Of course looking forward to the new coins of Charles III. I do have a few other world coins I'm also looking for. These are just lower value coins not found on the BST board, I've found this out many times over. Also some here have said I need to post more offend. I only post when I really have something to say which most of the time I don't.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    Rob, I think one of your 2023 goals would be to slow down a little. The RCNA needs you up and well

Ha! My name is Rob too, and that hit really close to home. (Until the part about the RCNA)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will be a big year for me. 2022 showed me that once a set is 'mature' I get restless. My Albanian set won a big award over at NGC and it made me realize there wasn't much left to do with it. One missing coin and then minute upgrades? It feels like stagnation.

So 2023 will be the end of an era. My Zog coins are up for sale at NYINC with Stacks. I'll eventually sell the non-Zog material as well. By a nice turn of events I'll actually be at NYINC and watch them sell live if I want!

On the other hand 2022 also reminded I'm a type collector at heart even though I've ended up with a load of date run sets of my Japanese coins. I'm not sure I'll pull back on those, but I'm definitely looking forward to using the proceeds of the Albanian coin sales to add to my Japanese collection. I've also been delving more into the pre-reform/1870 material. I even got a paper version of the Kingin Zuroku to go along with the pdf.

As for the rest, the usual need to update my website I haven't touched in ages and to pare down on coins that ended up not going anywhere.

Here is the set at NGC (I'll take it down in January, sadly they don't archive the sets but I have a nice plaque and a special slabbed coin to remember it by) https://ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/164777/

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Done... :-)

My goals are/were to

1. work on the book and publish it maybe for ANA2023.
      and
    2. to fill one hole / upgrade one coin from my two real sets

• C1 (Coins In Circulation as of 10am 11 February 1861)
        and

• C2 (XF 3CS)

Well, at Tuesday's Heritage Scratch & Dent auction, there was an XF40 ANACS 1867 3CS to upgrade my PF58.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goals:
    1. Stay on budget.
    2. Work on 7 core sets that are already in progress.
    3. All while selling at least 5% of the coins (by number, not value) currently in my collection
    4. Buy/Sell coins where I can to augment my budget.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• OnwardOnward Posts: 23 ✭✭

This wonderful time of the year between Christmas and New Years always means contemplating new areas to improve. Some of my goals for 2023 are...

Raise my understanding of the one real coins, especially early series.

Become aware of and purchase books or catalogs which so far have escaped my notice, that touch on the Charles and Joanna coins.

In view of the awareness raised by @burfle23, continue to sharpen detection methods for altered coins, and fakes.

There is always something new to discover-

Onward!

Pursuing Charles & Joanna, especially Early Series

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goals for 2023:

1) Continue to learn, network with fellow numismatists, and travel to Mexico for shows.

2) Continue to buy coins that strike my fancy, hopefully ones that add depth or breadth to my existing collections.

3) Continue to slab my existing collection, partially to help with #4 below and partly to help my heirs in the event of my eventual demise.

4) Continue to sell unneeded and duplicate coins—and former collections and accumulations that stopped being interesting—taking advantage of the decent market.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

No goals for 2023...

I would not want a 2023 year end review that failed to meet expectations.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.