Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2022 Numismatic Year in Review

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 21, 2022 3:13AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

While I know that there are 11 days left in 2022, which is ample time for a new acquisition to render this list out of date, I'll offer anyways my recap of the numismatic year, top acquisitions, a few sales, and a few failures. Lets hope that acquisition comes along, and I can offer an update later on in the thread.

First, I want to thank a few forum members for meaningfully contributing to my collection this year. @MrEureka, @bidask, @CoinRaritiesOnline to name a few.

Guatemalan Pillars
Four coins added to the set this year, zero 8r's, 1r's or 1/2r's.
Two 4r's including the key 1764 and another very difficult 1754 Arabic 5 from the Vidal Quadras y Ramon collection.
Two 2r's, a 1764 which gives me a full denomination set of the date ranging from MS63 to F15 and the very rare 1771 which was purchased from a Spanish auction.

The numismatic library expands!
- I think my book acquisitions this year rivaled my numismatic acquisitions.

Notable acquisitions include:
- The Fonrobert Central America bid book from the sale
- John J Fords copy of the Fonrobert catalogs, beautifully bound
- A plated Peltzer, Ulex, both nicely bound
- Medinas!: Five different Medina books including the very rare Admiral Vernon
The super book on Colonial Guatemala by Carlos Jara

Crowns, Crowns and more Crowns
I have kept my primary investment focus on building a set of key Latin crowns, and 2022 was a surprisingly good year.

The peak of the year came from an acquisition of a stunning 1817-FD Chilean Peso which is also a rare assayer.

Another top 3 acquisition came in the form of this SP65 Guatemalan 8 Reales which crossed over to PCGS as an SP65 with the support of research in Jara's new Guatemalan book.

The first purchase of the year was this stunning 1822-L 8 Reales from an Asian auction that turned out way better than the images, grading MS64

It was closely followed in time by a purchase from a Central American friend at the FUN show which he then placed with me.

...a great Chilean from Andy at FUN...

...and then the ANA purchases which started on the floor with that same Central American dealer friend of this Newman coin he had bought through a Heritage auction which I didn't view

...followed up with a Stacks auction purchase...

...and ANA coins on CRO’s inventory post show.

Another theme of the year was "Reacquainting with Old Friends"
- In 2020 - 2021 I went on a numismatic binge with big opportunities to add meaningful coins. In doing so I sold some regrettable coins which were a must, but were missed. I had the opportunity to reacquire two pieces this year thanks to forumite @bidask. Thanks Dan!

Lastly "I guess I am doing Irish again"
- After living in Ireland for three years I took up mid-journey the collecting of high-grade Irish moderns after @MrEureka pointed how just how tough they were. I built a great start to a set but then sold the coins to a collector in Cork to focus on my Latin American set. Well in a Sovereign Rarities sale a choice MS65 1943 Halfcrown popped up and I bought it for perhaps a lot, perhaps a little depending on your point of view. So with that, I started buying Irish moderns again. Im about 40% complete but with many of the early dates in high grade still needed. And of course the 1943 Florin is absent.
I have enjoyed the dialog with @Clio on Irish, especially shillings which he is an expert.

I parted with a few coins as well, largely due to the market conditions being so favorable. Many will be missed, but I don't think in the regrettable camp like the two reacquired.

thanks for reading and special thanks to those who helped me in my numismatic journey this year

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2022 2:52PM

You seem to have had a great year. I also had a very good year so 2022 was better than OK. Hoping to add 2-3 coins in 2023 nothing major like one of the coins I got in 2022 but will be more than happy to get some new coins never the less.

2021 & 2022 were back to back years of adding one major coin per year and some others to the collection. 2023 will most likely be saving up funds and buying a 2-3 coins valued at 1000$ or less.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very impressive year!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really great eye appeal throughout. My favorites are the Guatemala peso and the Lion Daaldar.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent review, thanks for posting. Glad to hear you got the daalder back!
    Does the Argentina 8e have surface PVC? Seems like it could from the pic but hard to tell.
    I love that 1822!

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    Does the Argentina 8e have surface PVC? Seems like it could from the pic but hard to tell.
    I love that 1822!

I see the green but don’t think it’s pvc

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on another successful numismatic year! I'm looking forward to seeing that 1804 Guatemalan one of these days. Sounds like quite the coin.

On the 1813 Potosi sunface 8R - I would send it for conservation. That area at 3 o'clock on the obverse does look like PVC.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    While I know that there are 11 days left in 2022, which is ample time for a new acquisition to render this list out of date, I'll offer anyways my recap of the numismatic year, top acquisitions, a few sales, and a few failures. Lets hope that acquisition comes along, and I can offer an update later on in the thread.

First, I want to thank a few forum members for meaningfully contributing to my collection this year. @MrEureka, @bidask, @CoinRaritiesOnline to name a few.

Guatemalan Pillars
    Four coins added to the set this year, zero 8r's, 1r's or 1/2r's.
    Two 4r's including the key 1764 and another very difficult 1754 Arabic 5 from the Vidal Quadras y Ramon collection.
    Two 2r's, a 1764 which gives me a full denomination set of the date ranging from MS63 to F15 and the very rare 1771 which was purchased from a Spanish auction.

The numismatic library expands!
    - I think my book acquisitions this year rivaled my numismatic acquisitions.

Notable acquisitions include:
    - The Fonrobert Central America bid book from the sale
    - John J Fords copy of the Fonrobert catalogs, beautifully bound
    - A plated Peltzer, Ulex, both nicely bound
    - Medinas!: Five different Medina books including the very rare Admiral Vernon
    The super book on Colonial Guatemala by Carlos Jara

Crowns, Crowns and more Crowns
    I have kept my primary investment focus on building a set of key Latin crowns, and 2022 was a surprisingly good year.

The peak of the year came from an acquisition of a stunning 1817-FD Chilean Peso which is also a rare assayer.

Another top 3 acquisition came in the form of this SP65 Guatemalan 8 Reales which crossed over to PCGS as an SP65 with the support of research in Jara's new Guatemalan book.

The first purchase of the year was this stunning 1822-L 8 Reales from an Asian auction that turned out way better than the images, grading MS64

It was closely followed in time by a purchase from a Central American friend at the FUN show which he then placed with me.

...a great Chilean from Andy at FUN...

...and then the ANA purchases which started on the floor with that same Central American dealer friend of this Newman coin he had bought through a Heritage auction which I didn't view

...followed up with a Stacks auction purchase...

...and ANA coins on CRO’s inventory post show.

Another theme of the year was "Reacquainting with Old Friends"
    - In 2020 - 2021 I went on a numismatic binge with big opportunities to add meaningful coins. In doing so I sold some regrettable coins which were a must, but were missed. I had the opportunity to reacquire two pieces this year thanks to forumite @bidask. Thanks Dan!

Lastly "I guess I am doing Irish again"
    - After living in Ireland for three years I took up mid-journey the collecting of high-grade Irish moderns after @MrEureka pointed how just how tough they were. I built a great start to a set but then sold the coins to a collector in Cork to focus on my Latin American set. Well in a Sovereign Rarities sale a choice MS65 1943 Halfcrown popped up and I bought it for perhaps a lot, perhaps a little depending on your point of view. So with that, I started buying Irish moderns again. Im about 40% complete but with many of the early dates in high grade still needed. And of course the 1943 Florin is absent.
    I have enjoyed the dialog with @Clio on Irish, especially shillings which he is an expert.

I parted with a few coins as well, largely due to the market conditions being so favorable. Many will be missed, but I don't think in the regrettable camp like the two reacquired.

thanks for reading and special thanks to those who helped me in my numismatic journey this year

Fantastic specimens Brian
    Wonderful library 😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    I love that 1822!

@TwoKopeiki
    Sent the Argentina to NCS today. I’m still undecided if it is really PVC but will see. I wrote “remove PVC only” on the form. Here is to hoping they don’t dip it and send me back a white coin.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize if I caused any alarm with my post. I was uncertain and only meant to take a closer look if you had not already since PVC is an issue that can be corrected. Hopefully this was not construed as disparaging the coin which is I think is beautiful and original-looking!

• Options
    AchoriAchori Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

@Boosibri You had a great year, nice additions to your coin and library collection!! and to close the year, you just had a major addition to your library! I had a great year as well, probably added dream coins, I have never thought about adding them too soon.

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    I apologize if I caused any alarm with my post. I was uncertain and only meant to take a closer look if you had not already since PVC is an issue that can be corrected. Hopefully this was not construed as disparaging the coin which is I think is beautiful and original-looking!

Not at all!

• Options

@Achori said:
    @Boosibri You had a great year, nice additions to your coin and library collection!! and to close the year, you just had a major addition to your library! I had a great year as well, probably added dream coins, I have never thought about adding them too soon.

You had a better year, my friend! Simply Amazing

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful books. I liked almost everything here but the Guatemalan peso and the Lion Daler in particular.

Then I saw the 1943 (!) Irish halfcrown and my jaw hit the desk.

I've owned one, years ago- bought in an ancient PCI F15 photoslab. But to see your MS example... wow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

@Boosibri Thank you my friend!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@Achori said:

You had a better year, my friend! Simply Amazing

Anchori please show some highlights of purchases made by you this year .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask will do 😁

• Options
    edited January 1, 2023 7:53AM

One last addition arrived yesterday in time to make 2022. Thanks MrE!

This a deluxe edition of Calberto, limited to 16 copies bound in leather and signed by the author.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    One last addition arrived yesterday in time to make 2022. Thanks MrE!

This a deluxe edition of Calberto, limited to 16 copies bound in leather and signed by the author.

I’ve never even heard of this edition. How cool is that? Congratulations!

• Options
    OnwardOnward Posts: 23 ✭✭

What a year! Thank you for sharing this. Congratulations on10061, and this set, both very difficult and impressive finds. Was any information passed on about who the Calbeto was originally presented to?

Pursuing Charles & Joanna, especially Early Series

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the follow-up. Agree they did a nice job.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    edited January 19, 2023 6:55AM
  • Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Nice work by NGC on pvc removal. Thanks for flagging team!

Do you know what they use? Acetone?

I got a raw 8R and have some green spots:

Maybe leave it as-is?

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proprietary mix of herbs and spices.... >:)