Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you grade this 51S cent. Videos added later in thread.

AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 17, 2022 11:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Looks above a 65BN to me but my eyesight isn’t so great.

Comments

  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It appears circulated with Lincoln's cheek and the top of the wheat ears saying AU. The color does not look natural.

    AU Details would be my grade.

  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

    GEM is about right.
    Nice toning!
    I bet the luster is stronger than your photos show.

    peacockcoins

  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @VanHalen said:
    It appears circulated with Lincoln's cheek and the top of the wheat ears saying AU. The color does not look natural.

    AU Details would be my grade.



  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @braddick said:
    GEM is about right.
    Nice toning!
    I bet the luster is stronger than your photos show.

    “GEM” as in approximately MS65 GEM, AU GEM or GEM, regardless of numerical grade?

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Based on the first pictures, I would give it an AU58... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @braddick said:
    GEM is about right.
    Nice toning!
    I bet the luster is stronger than your photos show.

    “GEM” as in approximately MS65 GEM, AU GEM or GEM, regardless of numerical grade?

    Yes.

    peacockcoins

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @braddick said:

    @MFeld said:

    @braddick said:
    GEM is about right.
    Nice toning!
    I bet the luster is stronger than your photos show.

    “GEM” as in approximately MS65 GEM, AU GEM or GEM, regardless of numerical grade?

    Yes.

    That’s precisely what I thought you meant.😉

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU58

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

    I know everyone believes AU, but I'm going to say MS65 RB. The luster is nice as is the toning.

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

    MS65+RB

    Young Numismatist

  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm torn between AU55 and and ED.

    Also, I am certainly not a photographic expert and admittedly have trouble with the camera. I have learned the best technique is to just leave the coin(s) on a flat surface and then figure out the lights vs. trying to get the coin(s) somehow at the proper angle to a static light source as you have attempted. Highlighting the color doesn't show us what the surfaces actually look like to attempt a grade.

    JMHO.

  • Options

    @Maywood said:
    I'm torn between AU55 and and ED.

    Also, I am certainly not a photographic expert and admittedly have trouble with the camera. I have learned the best technique is to just leave the coin(s) on a flat surface and then figure out the lights vs. trying to get the coin(s) somehow at the proper angle to a static light source as you have attempted. Highlighting the color doesn't show us what the surfaces actually look like to attempt a grade.

    JMHO.

    Does ED stand for Environmental Damage?

    Young Numismatist

  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes.

  • Options

    @Maywood said:
    Yes.

    What makes you say that?

    Young Numismatist

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't see any luster break.

    I believe it to be MS65BN

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice looking coin. I would guess MS65.
    As @BuffalolronTail said ... I don't see any luster break.

  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The extra pics and video make it look MS.

    Still not sure the color would grade out tho. If it did I agree with MS65RB.

  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU RG ( red/green)
    Not sure about the color, but the coin looks AU58 or so to me.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not sure what or if it would grade but I like it

    Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file