Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln cent books that taught you the most

Which books on Lincoln cents taught you the most about the series?

The obvious is the David Lange complete guide.
Are there others some members have found particularly enlightening?

Bonus question. What is your favorite date or variety in the entire Lincoln series 1909-present

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it was the Redbook.... mainly because the Lincoln cents, while interesting, were not a focus of my collecting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2022 8:57AM

Favorite date for me is 1922-D followed closely by 1914-D.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    FairfaxthunderFairfaxthunder Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2022 9:43AM

Wexler's book for varieties is great. I've only been in this less than a year and the various websites (Variety Vista, Cooper coins, and Coneca are also amazing) but I just like having a book with me too. I believe the first 70-100 pages are history and understanding how DDs occur which has helped me greatly. I think I will reread today. But yes it all starts with Lange.

I'll let you know what my favorite is when I actually find a good example :)

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now all the books helped, but the one I learned the most from would be Flynns book on Matte Proofs followed by Carl Waltz Book on MPL's. But the Variety web sites are used by me and the one that really matters is the LCR site because of the experts on it.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

David Lange's and Sol Taylor's (expanded 2nd edition), both of which I believe are out of print, and the Wexler/Flynn book (which I think may still be in print).

Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP is no longer with us. Shocking :*

I will echo the sentiment above that the Flynn/Wexler Authoritative Reference on Lincoln Cents (at least for varieties) was the best. I learned many things about all dates of the series, and besides a site like coppercoins.com or the lincolncentresource you just can't find that all in one book.
    Highly recommended

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file