Home Sports Talk
Options

Einstein or Edison ?

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s funny is that intellectual boards debate the smartest people ever, just like we debate athletes. The fun never ends !

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

For smarts Einstein is on another level. For practical application to the masses and profitability Edison.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I work in the electrical industry I will say Edison.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best that I can do here is Common Wealth Edison on south side Chicago which was a few blocks from my old house -- maybe the radioactivity from CWE is why I'm like this... :D

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2022 10:10AM

I suggest you look at the pages of Da Vinci's codexes if you want to see mind of a real genius.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I suggest you look at the pages of Da Vinci's codexes if you want to see mind of a real genius.

Yeah but are you typing on an invention powered by Da Vinci

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

Study Leonardo Da Vinci, his life, his art, his codex books, he is the greatest genius that ever lived and it's not even close. His brilliance was on another level. Bill Gates purchased the Codex Leicester for $30 million a while back. Leonardo Da Vinci's mind was always at work, 24/7, he was thinking up ideas for inventions 500 years before anyone even considered such ideas. War machines, helicopters, tanks, the parachute, the human anatomy, the list goes on and on. Areas of interest included invention, painting, sculpting, architecture, science, music, mathematics, engineering, literature, anatomy, geology, astronomy, botany, writing, history, and cartography, just study his codex books, he makes Thomas Edison, Tesla, and Einstein look like a joke.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a small handful of people to whom we owe almost everything we have. These are the people who had truly original ideas that changed how everyone looked at the world going forward. Da Vinci is one of those people, and so was Einstein. Edison, while surely brilliant, was not; everything he invented was known to be possible because of the ground breaking ideas of others. In Big Bang Theory terms, Einstein was a Sheldon and Edison was a Leonard.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

Study Leonardo Da Vinci, his life, his art, his codex books, he is the greatest genius that ever lived and it's not even close. His brilliance was on another level. Bill Gates purchased the Codex Leicester for $30 million a while back. Leonardo Da Vinci's mind was always at work, 24/7, he was thinking up ideas for inventions 500 years before anyone even considered such ideas. War machines, helicopters, tanks, the parachute, the human anatomy, the list goes on and on. Areas of interest included invention, painting, sculpting, architecture, science, music, mathematics, engineering, literature, anatomy, geology, astronomy, botany, writing, history, and cartography, just study his codex books, he makes Thomas Edison, Tesla, and Einstein look like a joke.

I love Da Vinci. I drove 6 1/2 hours to see his paintings in a museum. I saw his lifelike hair painted with a single hair brush. It’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen and you know I’m an art collector. He could write with both hands at the same time, forward or backwards His designs were centuries ahead of their time. His war machines are futuristic. He’s the greatest mind in history but modern day give me Tesla.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isaac Newton has to be considered.
    Max Planck (spelling) was a brilliant
    mind.

• Options

Leonardo Da Vinci is unrivaled, the most brilliant mind that has ever existed, just pour over every page of his notebooks, his codex, that you can find, he was an absolute genius, it's like looking into the mind of God himself. Among the Leonardo da Vinci inventions list, his research on the water movement led him to design machines that harnessed its power. Much of his work in hydraulics, mechanical function by water, was for the Duke of Milan, Ludovico sforza.

Some of his most recognizable civil engineering inventions include canal lock, revolving swing bridge, water pump, bucket-wheel excavator, a rudimentary crane, his ideal city, he designed an underwater scuba suit, the list is ridiculous. Other than the wide range of Leonardo da Vinci famous inventions mentioned above, some of the famous inventions of Vinci which affected the course of innovations in history are machine gun, water-lifting device, catapult, casting mould of the head and neck, automobile, multi-barrel gun, flying machine, ornithopter, cannon foundry, design for the Da Vinci helicopter, design for a parabolic compass, design for a boat, design for a machine for grinding convex lenses, drawing of locks on a river, siege defences, the list is just ridiculous. Just look over every page of his notebooks you can find, he puts every genius in history to shame. His work on the human anatomy, he studied the human body and he found that the heart had four chambers and it connected the pulse in the wrist with the contraction of the left ventricle. He worked out that currents in the blood flow, created in the main aorta artery, help heart valves to close. And he suggested that arteries create a health risk if they fur up over a lifetime. There was just no limit to where his mind would take him, he wanted to figure out everything about life, just study the man, his life, the way his mind worked, pour over every page of his notebooks that you can find, he was untouchable as a genius.

• Options

Archimedes deserves a mention

• Options
    edited December 18, 2022 3:02AM

His design for a scuba suit, he did this in the late 1400s or early 1500s, the man was absolutely brilliant.

• Options

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

200 to 300?! That's on a whole other plane! And I thought I had a hi iq. Totally humbled. lol

• Options

Whoever made the antikythera mechanism should be in the running. This was something extremely sophisticated made around 200 bc.

• Options

I’ve been told I’m an idiot savant without the savant.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

good discussion. a few names off the top of my head for which this thread would be incomplete without

Galileo
    Copernicus
    Isaac Newton
    Bobby Orr
    Johann Goethe

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    good discussion. a few names off the top of my head for which this thread would be incomplete without

Galileo
    Copernicus
    Isaac Newton
    Bobby Orr
    Johann Goethe

I mentioned newton but dang I forgot Bobby Orr😛

• Options

@Darin said:

@galaxy27 said:

Galileo
    Copernicus
    Isaac Newton
    Bobby Orr
    Johann Goethe

I mentioned newton but dang I forgot Bobby Orr😛

He was so smart.
    He never once failed a blood test !

• Options

@Darin said:
    Whoever made the antikythera mechanism should be in the running. This was something extremely sophisticated made around 200 bc.

Just one of the unexplained mysteries of history

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

And let's leave this question up to someone else, anyone else aside from the great minds of the PCGS Sports Forum. You guys can't agree on anything except maybe that you love Tom Brady and hate Lebron James.

Stick to sports, fellas, this one's a little to deep. :p

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Money rules the world and Adam Smith wrote the \Wealth of Nations_, which is still a masterwork in economics.

The Wealth of Nations argues three basic principles and, by plain thinking and plentiful examples, proves them. Even the intellectuals should have no trouble understanding Smith's ideas. Economic progress depends upon a trinity of individual prerogatives: pursuit of self-interest, division of labor, and freedom of trade

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest