Home Sports Talk
Options

Your college basketball school all time team

DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 16, 2022 6:47AM in Sports Talk

My favorite has always been Kansas and it would be hard to beat their all time team.

Guards- jo jo white, Kirk Heinrich,
Mario chalmers, Rex walters

Forwards- Paul pierce, Danny manning,
Nick collison, Andrew wiggins

Center- wilt chamberlain, Joel embiid

Who you got on your team?

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Mel Nowell, Larry Siegfried, Joe Roberts. Off the bench Bob Knight.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

KU-123, Ohio State 41

Thanks for playing Brick.

• Options

Don't think so. Lucas would constantly hit his jumper from the foul line. Wilt would be frustrated and foul out in the first half. While Kansas is trying to figure out how to handle Havlicek OSUs guards would be hitting threes from all over. Only saving grace for Kansas is the Buckeyes would only get two points each time they hit a three. Only problem OSU would have is Bob Knight being disqualified after his second technical foul. OSU 75 Kansas 55. Happy to play.

Ralph

• Options

Brick it looks like two of your guards are 1950’s slow white guys and your tallest player is 6’6.
    I only gave you 41 points because of Hondo and Lucas which was generous.
    Wilt could go for 80 by himself against that lineup.

• Options

I guess that’s a wrap.
    Brick we could just agree ku would win at basketball and osu at football.🍺

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Don't think so. Lucas would constantly hit his jumper from the foul line. Wilt would be frustrated and foul out in the first half. While Kansas is trying to figure out how to handle Havlicek OSUs guards would be hitting threes from all over. Only saving grace for Kansas is the Buckeyes would only get two points each time they hit a three. Only problem OSU would have is Bob Knight being disqualified after his second technical foul. OSU 75 Kansas 55. Happy to play.

😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

University Of San Francisco produced some very good NBA players, including:

Bill Russell
    K.C. Jones
    Phil Smith
    Bill Cartwright
    Quintin Dailey

• Options

@Darin said:
    Brick it looks like two of your guards are 1950’s slow white guys and your tallest player is 6’6.
    I only gave you 41 points because of Hondo and Lucas which was generous.
    Wilt could go for 80 by himself against that lineup.

Wait a minute. Lucas was 6'8" and could rebound. One of the slow white guards had a decent NBA career. He played for the BOSTON Celtics. Posters here will tell you the very best players in history played for BOSTON. Who did Wilt play for? How many rings? The other slow white guard was a very steady player with one hell of a tan. Ohio State was one of the highest scoring teams in the country. They were so good at the fast break the cameraman couldn't follow the ball. Wilt could get 80 if he played the entire game. However, after five fouls it's off to the bench.

Ralph

• Options
    edited December 16, 2022 7:47PM

2 players on my team had their numbers retired by the all mighty BOSTON CELTIC team, number10 and 34.
    We agree your team is better at getting a tan but otherwise like I said only a few teams could hang with ku’s all time team and certainly Ohio state is not one of them

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    University Of San Francisco produced some very good NBA players, including:

Bill Russell
    K.C. Jones
    Phil Smith
    Bill Cartwright
    Quintin Dailey

Thank you sanction that is a good list but not enough depth to hang with Kansas.
    You’ll bury bricks 1950 white boy team with that lineup however because Bobby knight is his only bench player.

San Francisco 87
    Ohio state 24
    (Over-under on Russell blocked shots 20)

Kansas 85
    San Fran 59

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2022 9:01PM

I’m sure UNC could give Kansa a run for their money

Jordan
    Worthy
    Perkins
    Kenny smith
    Stakhouse

Just the ones that came to my mind

Edited to add a coupe off the bench
    Wallace
    Macadoo
    Jamison
    W.davis

Martin

• Options

@Darin said:
    2 players on my team had their numbers retired by the all mighty BOSTON CELTIC team, number10 and 34.
    We agree your team is better at getting a tan but otherwise like I said only a few teams could hang with ku’s all time team and certainly Ohio state is not one of them

All Time Team? I gave you the 1960 Ohio State team. Let me bring Jim Jackson off the bench and you wouldn't have a prayer. I take that back. You can pray all you want but it wouldn't be answered.

Ralph

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

would just like to mention that i took Ohio St +81 against Kansas and now i ride a bike everywhere

• Options

@Brick said:

@Darin said:

All Time Team? I gave you the 1960 Ohio State team. Let me bring Jim Jackson off the bench and you wouldn't have a prayer. I take that back. You can pray all you want but it wouldn't be answered.

I was wondering why you didn’t list anyone under 80 years old. Yes all time team. The way you talk about that 1960 team I realize they must have all seemed like part of the family to you, like sons or grandsons that you’re very proud of so I won’t speak badly of them anymore.

• Options

@Martin said:
    I’m sure UNC could give Kansa a run for their money

Jordan
    Worthy
    Perkins
    Kenny smith
    Stakhouse

Just the ones that came to my mind

Edited to add a coupe off the bench
    Wallace
    Macadoo
    Jamison
    W.davis

Martin

Dang I was hoping unc wouldn’t be mentioned.😟
    That would be a heck of a game. And another point is we could both list several more additions to our teams
    who could contribute in a positive way so we would have really deep benches.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

My line up would have problems with manning and chamberlain
    Not shure Perkins could handle manning. And would have to go to the bench with Wallace to hopefully out quick Chamberlin. And we all know worthy won’t guard anyone

But I think I’m good with my guards😃

Martin

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

UCLA;

Kareem

Bill Walton

Walt Hazzard

Gail Goodrich

Curtis Rowe

Jamal Wilkes

Marques Johnson

Willie Nauls

Reggie Miller

Baron Davis

Henry Bibby

Lonzo Ball

Swen Nater

Pooh Richardson

Tyus Edny

David Greemwood

Kiki Vandeway (SP?)

Tracy Murray

Mark Eaton

Jason Kapono

and many others.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know who else played for LSU but I know they had Shaq and Pete Maravich, that would be one heck of a duo, Pete Maravich was unstoppable, he still holds the record for the highest ppg avg at 44.2 points a game, I would vote for Pete Maravich as the greatest college player of all time. Everyone on the court knew Pistol Pete was going to handle the ball. Everyone knew he was going to shoot a LOT. But no one could stop him. And that was before the three-point shot.

LSU coach Dale Brown went back and plotted where Pistol Pete took his shots. If I remember correctly, Brown said the Pistol would have averaged 57 points per game with the three-pointer.

There was never anyone like the Pistol in college.

Pistol Pete Maravich: 44.2 points per game, 6.4 rebounds per game, 5.1 assists per game, the NCAA’s all-time career points record (3,667) despite playing just three years, scored 40+ points 56 times, scored 50+ points 28 times, and scored 60+ points 4 times.

• Options

Seriously, UCLA would put together the best team. You don't win 10 Championships in a row unless you have superior talent and a coach who knows how to utilize that talent.

Ralph

• Options

When I started the thread unc and ucla came to mind. Also good choice of lsu doubled.
    Kentucky and duke and many others could field great teams so maybe it would come down to coaching.
    Ku has had Larry brown, Roy Williams and bill self so I like our coaches. But ucla had wooden.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Providence College

Otis Thorpe
    Marvin Barnes
    Jimmy Walker
    Eric Murdock
    Lenny Wilkins

Austin Croshere
    Eric Williams
    John Thompson

Given the competition with the larger schools, that’s a pretty formidable Cinderella team. Great defensively and led by one of the great basketball talents and minds in Lenny Wilkins.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest