Home Sports Talk
Options

The greatness of Tom Brady

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

When we talk about greatness you can point to Barry Sanders highlights. Walter Payton highlights. Jerry Rice, Jim brown. You can run the tape on Josh Allen’s runs, Patrick Mahomes no look passes or unbelievable scrambles.
But put a tape on of Brady and they are, well just passes.
My point is he’s the greatest because of his football knowledge and not a human highlight reel. Just some thoughts swirling around the swamis mind early Friday morning

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that is because Brady is a passing Quarterback. And there are some amazing throws.

historically, QBs who throw the ball as opposed to run the ball tend to have long careers. unless Allen, Mahomes etc. change their games, they will encounter injury as they age. it happens to all of them. Running QBs dont play to 40, much less 45. we are already seeing it in Lamar Jackson. injured last season, again this season.

as an aside. when I look at Sanders, Rice and Browns highlight reels, all I see are them catching or running with the ball.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s focus, the same reason Nicklaus was the greatest at golf.
    Brady didn’t overdo the endorsements and commercials like tiger did with Nike and let it ruin his career which is what mahomes is doing with State Farm etc currently.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the point you are making, but I think you are painting with a very broad brush. And truthfully, this almost sounds "tongue in cheek" coming from a guy who has probably forgotten more football than most know. Taking more than a cursory glance (through knowledgeable eyes) will show much more than passes. You will see so much, including...almost never before seen decision making, reads, accuracy, knowledge of the playbook and defenses, adjustments, etc.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where Brady has the edge is his intelligence but also he has the fastest release from scrimmage of any qb. Lot's of short passes right out of the hike which can alleviate issues where qb's hold onto the ball, and complicates the D for longer throws. Combine that with the rest of his game and you got GOAT. Why other offenses don't have the qb quick release as much I have never understood as it opens up the whole game for your O.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, Tom Brady has made it as long as he has and as good as he has because he thinks faster than everyone else. As a QB his brain has to process more information than the other players and they have to do it fast. Brady excels at that and he also has more stored knowledge than probably every other player on any field at any given time. The downside for him is that as we age our mental processes slow. I think he might be reaching that point.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

All great answers. The one sure thing about Brady and it’s indisputable is he is the greatest of all time.
    When NFL films does his bio it will be TD passes in the Super Bowl, not leaps over line backers or 90 yard reverse runs.
    We all are privileged to have seen him

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Brady could even be more effective today if he had a better offensive coordinator. The end of the New Orleans game showed what he could still do when he’s in charge of the play calling. The trouble is he’s lost a little of his passing accuracy, and he’s not get much help from the “brain trust” in the play calling booth. He can still throw passes with a perfect spiral, but the speed and accuracy are not what they used to be.

I hope and think that he will retire at the end of this season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?