Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln pennies 1959-2022

Cash4coins84Cash4coins84 Posts: 19
edited December 15, 2022 10:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

How much would an entire set of Lincoln memorial and shield pennies cost if every coin was MS66 and higher?

Answers

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cash4coins84... Welcome aboard. Do you mean an album set or slabbed coins?? Definite difference in pricing between the two. Be more specific and you will get some advice. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I have them in coin flips

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2022 12:25PM

I have a dansco full (but only up to 2019). I actually think the majority cost around $60 about 10 years ago and I added the new one as they were released, so maybe $150 and that's with the Dansco in Raw.

If you have the whole set slabbed, may 2-3X more but it will cost you more than the coins are probably worth to get them slabbed.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2022 12:29PM

@Cash4coins84 said:
    I have them in coin flips

Anywhere from $1 to perhaps $100 each if the buyer agrees with the grades.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

I have 1962 1969 1973 1998 2000 1983 1984 1986 in pristine condition not a scratch or mark on them. Does that give me any leverage

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins of that era have little value when raw. It is the certification by a major Third Party Grader that gives them value. As raw coins they are little more than face value since it costs a considerable amount of money to have such coins authenticated and slabbed by a major third party grader.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cash4coins84 said:
    I have 1962 1969 1973 1998 2000 1983 1984 1986 in pristine condition not a scratch or mark on them. Does that give me any leverage

No. Unless they slab as 69 or 70, they are very inexpensive raw.

• Options

Many collectors think their coins from change or the bank will grade 69-70 but in reality they might only grade low 60's grades and many times can even be AU's.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless certified, they are only worth face value as far as I'm concerned.

• Options

That would be a shame to give the set up for a few dollars if one of these grade as best example

• Options

@Cash4coins84 said:
    That would be a shame to give the set up for a few dollars if one of these grade as best example

It would cost you more than it would be worth to find out. Look up how much it costs to slab a coin and you will see what I mean.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@Cash4coins84 said:

What do you think the odds are?

I understand you are a newbie and don't know a lot about coins. You've got a set of UNC memorial cents probably pulled from circulation or mint sets. Of the billions struck and the tens of thousands of sets out there, what are the odds that you have the finest?

But the only way you're getting more than a few bucks for such a set is to get the coin certified. It's pay-to-play. For the low, low cost of $30+ per coin, you can submit them. If it comes back highest known, you've got a winner. If it comes back MS66, you have a set that's still with a few bucks but has a $30 plastic case.

If you want to win, you've got to play. But if you want a chance of winning, you need to study, study, study.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post a couple crisp pictures of what you feel are some of the best coins. From there we can get a feel for what type of collection it is that you have.

• Options

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the images it appears that you have some nice, yet unfortunately nearly worthless cents in the collection. Enjoy them as is or burn your money to get common, low value coins certified. Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins for someone putting together a raw album set, but nowhere good enough to bother sending in for grading. I would grade them, in order of your photos, as; MS64 (the marks around the rim are going to kill the grade) MS65 shot MS66, AU58, and MS64 (again lots of rim hits). All worth $1 or less each, sorry I wish the news was better.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

The coins you picture are very typical Unc. cents that are OK for an album collection but have little value beyond face value. None of them would have even the slightest chance of getting a very high grade from a Third Party Grader.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Anybody ever got bad news on coins and then felt like smeagle afterwards?

• Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

@Cash4coins84 said:

All the time my precious, all the time.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cash4coins84 said:

No. Usually they tell us we have no idea what we're talking about.

• Options

Greysheet in 66 for the set is $1100. [But again, no one is going to pay that for a raw set.]

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cash4coins84 if the set is 59 to 2022 how did a 58 get in there?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

I have a few wheats also

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cash4coins84 said:
    I have 1962 1969 1973 1998 2000 1983 1984 1986 in pristine condition not a scratch or mark on them.

Did you post the right pictures? Your pictures show coins that have many marks and are not close to pristine. Do you need someone to point out the obvious marks in those pictures?

• Options

@DarkStar said:

@Cash4coins84 said:

All the time my precious, all the time.

Wouldn't that make just two types of people?

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

These days for the moderns, it is quite easy to get a rb/rd copper 1959-2022 lincoln set out of CRH or change, maybe with most of the varieties. So unless it is in holders of competent companies, then it would be near impossible to value the set in the condition you have shown at anywhere near what would prevent you from feeling like smeagle. Good luck with your set.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep building your raw Lincoln set.

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

Even a stunning set of raw Memorial/Shield cents (and I mean virtually pristine coins, not the usual dreck sets generally available on eBay) can be obtained for under $100, add another $50ish for the 70 SD and another $150 or so for all the proof only issues.

I've generally found the best coins to be ones cut from mint sets, and even then only about half meet my standards (basically MS66 equivalent).

It won't make you rich -- It's a fun and inexpensive set, and can be a bit of a challenge to find really nice examples of some dates.

Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2023 1:43AM

Raw coins wont be worth much. They're not all going to be 66. If youre into collecting, buy yourself a Lincoln album and start filling the holes with the best you can find. Once you've completed that you might want to start a collection of certified coins. Keep watching the forum and you'll see coins posted once in a while and you'll see what's important that makes a coin valuable.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file