Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Red Copper 1955 DDO Lincoln at GC Auction - how high will it go? (Contest for a Prize)

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    It is not a + 65 RD. I have no idea how CAC approved it but it is a solid 65RD but not a +. Good strike, EDS, but whacked against the cheek and and a bunch of planchet shit showing plus a spot on the date and fingerprint remnants. It is not a + IMO.

CAC ignores the “+” when assessing coins and deciding whether to sticker them.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Mark
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given that GC seems to elicit bids way over guide values and that this is 1 of 2 top pops in red, I’ll venture a prophetic guess of $187,500.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin but in that new holder I'd be scared to death of losing that red surface over time! :#

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rays said:
    Since there are none graded higher, I predict a hammer of $175,000.

Nuts
    That would be my guess but you're there first
    Good luck.
    And good luck to me with my 42-S on GC at the same time as one in the same grade from Stewart's collection

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2022 11:12AM

I don't know how the coin made a 65+ grade.

Lincoln looks like he's been in a scuffle with all the marks on him.

Is that a die crack at the bottom of Lincolns ear?

None of this really matters to me, but I just thought I'd make an observation. Coins of this caliber sometimes get a pass on stuff that might affect the grade, IMHOP.

It is extremely rare in its own right being red.

Some have been found attached to cigarette packs in vending machines to make change. I wonder what they look like, or if there is any residue on them.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭

$127,500
    Thanks

• Options
    56morgan56morgan Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Of course it has to be $195500.

• Options

I'm going to go with a strong $141,001

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

38 days left and the bid is up to $101,600

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

$121,500.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is 122,222. on the hammer

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@Martin said:
    I’m going 163k all in
    Martin

Your guess should be revised since the requested guess will not include buyer’s premium. :)

Ok 148k.
    Thanks for the giveaway

Martin

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@Jimnight said:
    Over 160 Thousand.

Needs to be a specific number Jim. :)

$161,468.65

• Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

$160,000

• Options
    ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    I don't know how the coin made a 65+ grade.

Lincoln looks like he's been in a scuffle with all the marks on him.

Is that a die crack at the bottom of Lincolns ear?

None of this really matters to me, but I just thought I'd make an observation. Coins of this caliber sometimes get a pass on stuff that might affect the grade, IMHOP.

It is extremely rare in its own right being red.

Some have been found attached to cigarette packs in vending machines to make change. I wonder what they look like, or if there is any residue on them.

Pete

If my memory serves me right this was bought from a gentleman ungraded still in the cigarette pack cellophane

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2022 4:09AM

@Clackamas1 said:
    It is not a + 65 RD. I have no idea how CAC approved it but it is a solid 65RD but not a +. Good strike, EDS, but whacked against the cheek and and a bunch of planchet shit showing plus a spot on the date and fingerprint remnants. It is not a + IMO.

CAC is approving it as a 65 Rd not 65+ as they ignore the plus designation.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all who participated.

Now we will watch and wait!

Today at $101,600 with 34 days to go!

https://greatcollections.com/Coin/1272982/1955-Lincoln-Cent-Doubled-Die-Obverse-PCGS-MS-65-RD-CAC-Red-Copper-Collection

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dark horse guess: the 1919 sells for more…

• Options

23 days left - $111,600

• Options
    VarietyFanVarietyFan Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Stewies 55 is a staggering coin, no doubt. But it’s easily the second best, even by Stewies admission, of the two 65+RD examples. The array of specks and stains are a bit detracting but the carbon spot on the very focal point of the coin is very detracting.

Many of Stewies coins are absolutely spectacular. Equally some have no business in a red labeled holder. Stewie was shrewd. He “collected” coins but "invested" in labels.

He and I used to giggle all the time in saying “an over graded coin never leaves the holder”. Anyone with a pair of working eyeballs can pick those out.

His spectacular coins will bring (well deserved) big money. The others are just labels that label collectors will pay for.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think its going to be a record price at $235,000 or more without the juice. Lincolns are one of the most collected series & the 55DD is one of the most famous Lincolns. I always wanted one.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

$188.000.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

max TV for anyone that likes fawning over unnecessarily large images. (like i do)

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/44549582_Max.jpg

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Glad to see more guesses but the contest ended midnight 12/18.

Now we await the hammer! 🙂

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

$196,700

I would imagine that it is pretty rare in Red.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

$212,000> @Catbert said:

Glad to see more guesses but the contest ended midnight 12/18.

Now we await the hammer! 🙂

Ooops!!🫢

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Bidder #16 bumped it to $125,001 Wednesday, Jan 11.

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

What’s even more interesting is the 1969 S Double Die which is bringing more money than the 1955

• Options

@Walkerlover said:
    What’s even more interesting is the 1969 S Double Die which is bringing more money than the 1955

The 1969 s is much more rare than 55/55

What’s interesting is that Stu believed the 1974 aluminum cent to be one of the top performers at this auction, seeing as it is unique 1/1. And by all means the closest to a genuine aluminum cent

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

@Walkerlover said:

What’s interesting is that Stu believed the 1974 aluminum cent to be one of the top performers at this auction, seeing as it is unique 1/1. And by all means the closest to a genuine aluminum cent

What about the 1942 J-2079 cent struck in aluminum? Certainly a US Mint alloy is closer to a "genuine aluminum cent" than a foreign planchet. Of course, this excludes all of the aluminum cents struck before the Lincoln design.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@Chevyrose said:

@Walkerlover said:

What about the 1942 J-2079 cent struck in aluminum? Certainly a US Mint alloy is closer to a "genuine aluminum cent" than a foreign planchet. Of course, this excludes all of the aluminum cents struck before the Lincoln design.

This is true but I was mainly speaking in regards to the Red Copper collection

• Options

4 days left - up to $130,001

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

$215,000

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else bothered by the black spot on the date?

It really jumps out at me on the True view, PCGS MS65+RD notwithstanding.
    I'm sure the coin is lovely in hand, and I'm judging it under magnification...but it's still the focal point of the coin, no?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:

I'm sure the coin is lovely in hand, and I'm judging it under magnification...but it's still the focal point of the coin, no?

I’m not bothered by it

Highest graded 55/55, acquired by the #1 Lincoln cent collector of all time

The grade didn’t happen on accident

These coins were all in circulation and handled by many people not trained in handling coins

It’s a miracle it’s in the state it’s in

Nothing bad can be said about this coin

• Options
    edited January 19, 2023 7:14AM

@DCW said:

Yes, it would bother me regardless of the grade assigned or who owned it previously.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just checked my Crazy 8-ball. $178,500.01

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Catbert said:

@DCW said:

Yes, it would bother me regardless of the grade assigned or who owned it previously.

I laugh at anyone who talks down at this collection in any way shape or form

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:

@Catbert said:

@DCW said:

What are you rambling about? We’re laughing at you for letting your worship of Stewart impede your ability to be objective. No one is “talking down” on his collection or his coins, we’re all aware of his accomplishments and have great respect for him. Although the auction is still live, and we should probably refrain from getting too specific until it ends, we should be able to discuss his coins the same way that we would discuss any other coin. It’s not a personal attack on Stewart, everyone has their own preferences.

Yeah I knew Stewart since I was born

Yeah he was my mentor before he passed

Seems like people have more negative to say than good about the coin

Seems to me jealous collectors pick apart high grade coins on this forum

Seems to me jealousy is the the root of that issue. Much like a parent bullying their child because of traits the parent lacks

This forum seriously makes me laugh.

Go out there, do the research and chase the coins you wants

Lots of washed up dudes in their 50s drinking to much coffee and typing too much

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd guess $132k... Congrats to the winning bidder...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:

@Catbert said:

@DCW said:

What are you rambling about? We’re laughing at you for letting your worship of Stewart impede your ability to be objective. No one is “talking down” on his collection or his coins, we’re all aware of his accomplishments and have great respect for him. Although the auction is still live, and we should probably refrain from getting too specific until it ends, we should be able to discuss his coins the same way that we would discuss any other coin. It’s not a personal attack on Stewart, everyone has their own preferences.

Seems to me jealousy is the the root of that issue. Much like a parent bullying their child because of traits the parent lacks

Lots of washed up dudes in their 50s drinking to much coffee and typing too much

If Stewart Blay was really your mentor, maybe you could honor his memory by having some class on this forum. You come off like a petulant child, making lots of assumptions about the rest of us adding virtually nothing to the discussion.

You just got here, right?

I've yet to see you post anything of your own except:
    1. Uncle Stewie's 1955 doubled die gift
    And
    2. A cleaned coin that you overpaid for that had you running back to the dealer full of entitlement.

This is a coin forum where people give their opinions about coins. You get offended and offend others very quickly. Perhaps you don't belong here. And if I am seeing your icon correctly, you may already be in forum "jail."

Kind of like in "Back to the Future" when Marty McFly started to disappear in his family photo when he screwed up in the past?

Ah, 1985. Probably before your time. 😆

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:

@Catbert said:

@DCW said:

Your troll posts amount to mostly rank elevator farts. More like mentored by Stewie from "Family Guy" based on your jibberish.

This discussion has been closed.