Home Precious Metals
Options

What's the most secure way to ship an expensive package? My Registered & Insured package stolen?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had the unenviable experience of having my Registered & Insured package "picked up by individual" at the main office in Fresno, when it was supposed to be delivered across the country.

Registered Mail is supposed to be kept in a locked cage and have a 100% chain of custody. The only way i can imagine it being diverted is for someone with access to the Registered Mail cage falsified a signature and took it home, leaving another employee to get hung for it.

Maybe it's a clerical error and the package will show up tomorrow.

Now, I'm wondering how to ship a valuable package containing coins. What's your advice?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2022 7:14PM

Private insurance?

I use shipandinsure.com

I haven't had any trouble yet, but thankfully, nothing to claim either!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call the post office.
    Find the post office general and raise hell?
    ask questions?
    and get someone on it sooner than later.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

The USPS tracking reports are bogus sometimes. Not uncommon for a registered package to be "out for delivery" when routing between distribution centers far away from the ultimate destination. Most people would assume out for delivery means that your local mail carrier has the package, but not necessarily. In USPS parlance, "picked up by individual" might mean simply that a postal worker has taken custody of the package.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

there may be an error in the tracking number provided

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered mail is super secure.... Get in touch with the PMG and get them on it.... Likely it will be a clerical error. I have never had an issue shipping registered - except for slow delivery, which must be expected. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I talked to the Postal Inspection Service yesterday, and I'm going down to the main PO today to talk to the postmaster. The tracking number is correct. I tracked it from the pickup time at the branch, down to the main PO where it was "picked up by individual" yesterday at 1:55. I'm actually hoping that it is a clerical error and that it shows up downtown.

How a Registered Mail package that was heavily insured can be "picked up" at the originating PO by an "individual" is beyond my comprehension. The package didn't even make it out of Fresno.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diamond dealers ship in unmarked packages....plane janes. I've shipped 15oz af gold in a 4x4x6 brown box, priority....plain as it gets. A forminte was the reciever....all went well.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2022 2:12PM

FedEx for me I know some hate it but they have never ever caused me troubles in over 20 years. UPS is good as well.

I live in Canada shipped many times to the USA also with Registered and Express mail using Canada Post that becomes USPS over the border again never had a single issue as a seller only once as a buyer the package was damaged. I must have purchased 1000's of times over the 20 plus years small and more expensive items (2000$ for me is lot of money again to each their own I know some that is peanuts).

But anything I buy of say 1500$ or more I always ask to have it shipped to me via FedEx or UPS.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stick with paper gutter, much easier to manage. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

lol, sure thing!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

be sure you are clear on what FedEx and UPS will and will not insure when it comes to PMs. Their definition of precious metals is equally important.

• Options

Depending on the outcome, I might still use Registered Mail, such as it is. Argh.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

there never seems to be a clear answer to this question
    I hate registered mail personally - I think it just alerts everyone that you are shipping something valuable and several people on here have claimed it doesn't even cover coins!
    UPS one-day when I was shipping to major bullion companies was a nice way to do things, but this was quite expensive.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2022 6:20AM

registered remains the safest, most secure way to ship valuable items. It is the only class of USPS shipping methods that will cover loss of bullion. Yes, it is slow but that is because of the security procedures that are taken throughout the shipment. Tracking for registered is not great, but when it says "out for delivery," you can bet it will be there.

Registered mail is also the cheapest USPS method for insured items over approx. $800 in value.

Does a registered package scream "high value?" Sure it does. But any of the USPS employees that handle it and are required to sign for it know better than to put their job on the line. No one else has access to it during the shipment.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52... Glad to hear your package is safe and in the system. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jclovescoins said:
    there never seems to be a clear answer to this question
    I hate registered mail personally - I think it just alerts everyone that you are shipping something valuable and several people on here have claimed it doesn't even cover coins!
    UPS one-day when I was shipping to major bullion companies was a nice way to do things, but this was quite expensive.

Reference: USPS Domestic Mail Manual, Section 609:
    ~ sub-section 4.1.g provides details for "coins of [...] numismatic value" (i.e., FMV);
    ~ subsection 4.1.m provides details for "bullion" (i.e., max indemnity is $15.00, except for Registered Mail).

Note - I could NOT find a definition for "numismatic" vs. "bullion".

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2022 10:53AM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    FedEx for me I know some hate it but they have never ever caused me troubles in over 20 years. UPS is good as well.

I live in Canada shipped many times to the USA also with Registered and Express mail using Canada Post that becomes USPS over the border again never had a single issue as a seller only once as a buyer the package was damaged. I must have purchased 1000's of times over the 20 plus years small and more expensive items (2000$ for me is lot of money again to each their own I know some that is peanuts).

But anything I buy of say 1500$ or more I always ask to have it shipped to me via FedEx or UPS.

>

@derryb said:
    be sure you are clear on what FedEx and UPS will and will not insure when it comes to PMs. Their definition of precious metals is equally important.

I agree with the comment from @derryb - it is important to know what the carrier will, and will not cover, in the event of 'damage/loss'.

Consider the FedEx terms for international shipments departing the U.S.

Maximum 'declared value/liability' is limited to $1,000 USD for:
    ~ "Precious metals, including, but not limited to, gold and silver bullion or dust [...]"(sub-section E.9);
    ~ "Collector’s items such as coins [...]" (sub-section E.12).

Reference: 2022 FedEx Service Guide, FedEx Express Terms and Conditions, International Shipments, Page #144

Edited to add:
    UPS explicitly "prohibits" the following.

"Articles of unusual value, which shall be deemed to include, but are not limited to:"
    ~ "Coins, cash, currency, bonds, postage stamps, money orders, and negotiable instruments (such as drafts, bills of exchange, or promissory notes, but excluding checks);"
    ~ "Any article that contains more than 50 percent by weight of gold or plati­num, or any combination thereof in raw form including, but not limited to, bullion, bars, or scraps of these metals."
    [Section 3.1, page #5]

As such, "UPS shall not be liable or responsible for:"
    ~ "loss or damage to any Shipment contain­ing articles that Shippers are prohibited from shipping, that UPS does not or is not authorized to accept for transportation, that UPS states that it will not accept, or that UPS has a right to refuse."
    [Section 55.3, page #32]

Reference: UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service

• Options

@MetroD said:

Note - I could NOT find a definition for "numismatic" vs. "bullion".

and you won't, at least not with USPS.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2022 3:31PM

Two things

A company that ships to me uses Usps priority mail and has private insurance so the box never has a postage amount on the outside.

They did mention that they were having very bad luck at the FedEx hub in Memphis. Something like 7 for last 7 had been tampered with. That sounds like an internal criminal theft gang.
    This company ships a lot of gold and is very careful.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ship in an adult diaper box.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2022 9:09AM

Thanks, Jim. If you ever buy any coins from me, that’s how I will ship to you, uninsured of course. It’s no xxxxxxx laughing matter.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Registered Mail is not always kept in a cage but the truck drivers who carry it carry it in separate bag from regular mail and the clerks who receive it do have to sign for it. There is assumed personal responsibility but in 20+ years at USPS I never saw an employee write a check.

Even if it is insured you have to prove value. Proof of sale at ebay or whatever is good, statement from a dealer is good. Price guide is not good.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Any update on the wherabouts of the package?

• Options

The package showed up 2 weeks later without ever having been trackable and with exactly zero help from multiple PO sources.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thankfully. But 2 weeks of uncertainty is not good.

Have a nice day