Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Geek on PCGS crossover attempts

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q4DCDoiobM

What type of selectivity do you use before attempting these crossovers since the cost of every failure is pretty significant?

Comments

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting video. Hard to believe a dealer would submit total dreck and expect pcgs to reward his bad submission behavior. Why would anyone dump more money into these “coffin” coins? Needless to say, I agree with every dnc decision by PCGS, and argue that most are details coins.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opinions, opinions, opinions ... this is what the coin market is today. I thought the 1898 dime should have crossed but not most of the rest. I'm surprised the Seated Half was submitted as it was obviously cleaned (as so many Seated Halves are).

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

The long though mostly hidden scratch on the Barber dime/NGC MS64 was clear to me, curious why he missed it. This shows how people who some regard as "experts" need to have sharp graders around before money like that is wasted.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be some good late night entertainment.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Random thought: I suspect more videos of pcgs submission reveals on YouTube would bring in some younger folks that may have a curiosity about numismatics.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its entertainment. Relax and enjoy.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

Don’t underestimate the number of customers he has that pay to have him send crazy stuff to PCGS just to facilitate a video.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    The long though mostly hidden scratch on the Barber dime/NGC MS64 was clear to me, curious why he missed it. This shows how people who some regard as "experts" need to have sharp graders around before money like that is wasted.

How do you know he missed the scratch? Maybe he was well aware of it and more forgiving of it than you appear to be.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I bought a pcgs slabbed coin from this dealer several years ago and actually upgraded it with pcgs, so it’s somewhat ironic (if he’s truly sincere in the video) that he doesn’t necessarily understand why his coins didn’t cross. He should hire me because I’d make his shop a lot of profit.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    Random thought: I suspect more videos of pcgs submission reveals on YouTube would bring in some younger folks that may have a curiosity about numismatics.

Agreed. Any numismatic content on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram or TikTok is going to help facilitate some younger collectors into the hobby. Not gonna convince many 14 year olds to go to a coin show, but they do spend all day on their phone.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well especially with the lower value lower grade coins, just go for the crack out.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

Had it been a serious crossover, not an entertaining one it would have had more value, ie a cross at any grade submission, which in the past has had a high success rate for me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to watch that just a few minutes at a time.... Do not like these 'dragged out' videos. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Entertaining bit, I spoke to Ben at the large yearly show here in AZ last year, I hope he is setup at this year's show again.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of us take are gamble’s but we know going in it may pop or we are not going to do it that is a smart collector. Now a dumb collector will send in a coin that has no chance and keep spending the money for nothing with no gain in sight.

Some one here should do a how to video on how to buy a coin raw or in a holder then crack it out then flip it for a profit then buy the coin they really wanted at a discount. It takes work but nothing is free, time is money but what we do is fun to us.

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file