Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any idea what this is?

It looks like they are soldered to the plate.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

And what exactly is "this"? A picture of the whole item might be helpful. Also, maybe a view at an angle to show if the tokens are inset or just sitting on top.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like test strikes for a medal on a piece of copper plate.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    And what exactly is "this"? A picture of the whole item might be helpful. Also, maybe a view at an angle to show if the tokens are inset or just sitting on top.

These are the only pictures. These were in an auction.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try asking the seller.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Try asking the seller.

He didn't have a definitive description. I thought someone here might. This is what he says:
    "Plate looks like it is made out of copper. Might be a plate for printing. Plate is over 4 inches long and 2 inches wide."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen a display like that before. Seems like some sort of merchant display.... That is just a guess... Thanks for the second set of pictures too.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

There appears to be some solder on the edges of the medals in the first picture, so it looks like the medals were soldered back into the holes in the copper plate where the planchets used to create them were punch out.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Abe looks kinda weird rocking a ponytail. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like @PerryHall guess. Sounds more reasonable. Wouldn't be for printing otherwise all the lettering would be in reverse.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

the seller did not say how thick? I have seen similar on 1/8" sheet

your example looks like it could be 3 tokens soldered back into sheet that had planchets punched out from

• Options

They are in hand. They are attributed as King-275 & 276.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting, so they are tacked back into the copper sheet?

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool piece!

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

To me it looks like a souvenir when you visit historical places like the Lincoln Memorial or something like that.
    But then, what do I know?
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

@davewesen said:
    interesting, so they are tacked back into the copper sheet?

Looks like traces of solder on the edges of the tokens so it appears they were soldered back into the holes from where the planchets were punched out.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm stumped. They're stamped.

• Options

I sold this to Paul Cunningham at FUN for $475 and a signed copy of his Lincoln book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file