Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The crapshoot of buying raw cards online

reelinintheyearsreelinintheyears Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
edited December 11, 2022 2:54PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Over the years, I've had mixed results buying raw cards online (mainly from ebay). Since grading is so subjective, my philosophy when buying raw cards online is you win some, you lose some. I typically only purchase from sellers with a lot of transaction history and near 100% positive feedback and do not complain when I do not agree with their specified grade, unless there is a significant undisclosed flaw which was not evident in the photo/scan (e.g., surface wrinkle, wax stain). I'm wondering if others have had the same mixed results and if any have stopped buying raw cards online due to the risky nature of doing so (or will not pay more than a certain amount for such cards). Despite the risk, I haven't stopped buying raw cards online since the cards I have been collecting over the past several years have extremely low PSA/SGC populations (early-mid '70s OPC baseball) so buying raw is the only way I'll be able to get most of the cards I'm looking for within my lifetime.

My biggest dilemma now is the fear of submitting the better raw cards I've acquired due to the stricter grading standards being applied to cards of this era compared to those that were in effect at the time most of the graded cards I own were submitted. I will be very unhappy if a card that I believe to be a solid 8 based upon the other 8's in my collection comes back in a 6 holder!

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had lots of success buying raw cards online, because I'm usually looking for something specific - centering, lack of a print spot, etc. Grading IS a crapshoot so I don't equate the two, and haven't submitted since the grading goal posts moved.

When buying raw I always assume there is a flaw that can't be seen, and that the card will grade lower then the eye appeal = mostly always being satisfied.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    I've had lots of success buying raw cards online, because I'm usually looking for something specific - centering, lack of a print spot, etc. Grading IS a crapshoot so I don't equate the two, and haven't submitted since the grading goal posts moved.

When buying raw I always assume there is a flaw that can't be seen, and that the card will grade lower then the eye appeal = mostly always being satisfied.

buy with the anticipation of getting a 7 or 8. if you get more than great. i buy raw to grade and the inner carboard issues usually get me. bubbles, small divits, etc.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy the card based first on price and then almost equally weighted for the way the card looks; mostly I buy raw and occasionally graded and then if the card warrants it I send them in.

I firmly believe a beautiful card is a beautiful card, regardless of the grade. The number of collectors who seem to concur isn’t a huge percentage but it does seem to be growing.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

When I buy raw with hopes that it's going to be gradable, I usually limit it to cards released within the last 90 days. I feel more comfortable that it's being sold as a quick flip, rather than something that's being sold because of flaws.

If I'm buying just because I like and want the card, I just make my best assessment from the pictures and live with the results. Centering is my primary focus in this case and I'll also pay above comps to get it.

When I see for instance, a 2016 Bowman Juan Soto auto that's still in raw condition, I'm very suspect as to why it wouldn't have been graded.

Not a fool proof philosophy, but it's the one I use. I don't buy much vintage, but when I do it's graded.

• Options

Not every collector has money for grading even when they realize they have a great card 6 years later. We collect and hold. Did not have money to grade them then and now even more cost prohibited.you can get great ungraded cards but be cautious. who says a 2016 Juan soto auto had to be graded. When collector got it it was a signed card put it away for later not worth much for years. I have lots of rookie autos that are not worth much now. Why pay to grade if I keep them pristine shape but still no money to grade it.bills come first.

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Can always grade later if they turn into a HOF’er

• Options

My point with Soto was just an example of expectations with raw cards, as per the original post - not to say there's never a good reason it's raw.

I saw a raw '16 Soto /499 sell 2 weeks ago for $2K. That card in a 10 sold multiple times over $10K. $5K in a 9. For this reason, I can't help but to wonder if it had been cracked from a slab or otherwise never graded for good reason. Of course, it could also be the cleanest card of all time and simply never graded due to circumstances having nothing to do with card condition.

All said, regarding expectations with raw, that's the deal.