Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

49th Anniversary, and Two Great Coins

In the morning of December 10th 1973 the now-Mrs. MapsOnFire and I married in a small town in Western Massachusetts. Later we drove south to a hotel in New Jersey across the river from New York City. I left her in the hotel - on our wedding day - and crossed the river to a Shulman auction. I bought two important half cents - an 1805 small 5 (3rd finest at the time) and an 1806 small high 6 with stems (about 5 known at the time). I returned to the hotel before midnight.
If you think that escapade was a test for our marriage, you may be right. We passed the test. She knew me well and knew what to expect. She's still the greatest.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MapsOnFire .... Congratulations on your Anniversary ... and next year is your GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY!!! Only fitting you should get a nice gold coin for that one. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your Anniversary. Sounds like you have a endearing spouse who supports your love of collecting. Have many healthy years together!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, We will be celebrating our 55th in January. How time flies,

You still have her, but do you still have the two coins acquired on the same date?

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

I had the field pretty much to myself from the mid- 1960s. Then Roger Cohen's book came out in 1971 and suddenly there were others, some with money, combing the shows. The two Shulman coins were among the last added to my collection. What drove me was finding the coins, not owning them. When I couldn't acquire more, I sold them all to one of the big-money collectors. Found only one great half cent after that: an 1804 G9 in a very high grade.
    Something happened at the auction that I've never seen, before or later. After one of the coins closed, another bidder wanted to bid more. The auctioneer asked me if he could reopen the bidding! Of course I said no.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2022 9:35PM

If you had purchased four Half Cents, you then could have given her your “two cents worth” on any topic!

Happy Anniversary!!!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Happy anniversary. :)

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Anniversary.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file