Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So, how'd they know this Flying Eagle cent was the Large Letter variety?

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 7, 2022 4:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I mean, isn't the pickup point the bottom of the A and M in AMERICA?

Are there other markers for the variety?

Interesting coin. Very cool. Mind you, I'm not bidding. Was just curious.

Side note: man, I hate those intrusive white NGC prongs...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought so as well, the connecting A and M. Possibly attributed wrong by the seller. It does not show such attribution on the label.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I thought so as well, the connecting A and M. Possibly attributed wrong by the seller. It does not show such attribution on the label.

That's the easiest pick up point but technically the letters are all larger on that variety. My eye isn't good enough to verify type here without a side by side comparison

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Heritage auction has some great error cents. The 1944 struck on a steel planchet intended for 1943 is spectacular. I am interested to see the $$$ it goes for.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That steel 1944 cent is awesome... Have looked for them most of my life... Wanted one of those more than a copper 1943..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's attributed correctly. My opinion is that this is a Large Letters, with a High Leaf reverse which is most common reverse for the Large Letters obverse.
    I like to use the eagle's beak as a pick up point: I have a _silly _little drawing I made to take with me to shows back when I used to search for these coins to find high and low leaf reverse varieties.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

The above would sit nicely next to this Invisible Letter variety:

peacockcoins

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    I think it's attributed correctly. My opinion is that this is a Large Letters, with a High Leaf reverse which is most common reverse for the Large Letters obverse.
    I like to use the eagle's beak as a pick up point: I have a _silly _little drawing I made to take with me to shows back when I used to search for these coins to find high and low leaf reverse varieties.

you know, there have been many a time when the various designs of the eagle cents has stopped me dead in my tracks that i felt it wise to sit and look at certain coins for a while longer always wondering if it were some rare proof or pattern because the differences on a few/several of the dies is somewhat subtle but more than enough to stand out and that beak difference was one of them that usually got my attention.

that being said of course is no difference than any other denom/series where one can determine the year/decade/type within a series by design changes, strike, nuance and just plain experience.

i've played a game with myself many times with the morgan tubs/buckets of the 1921 series to see if i could do the mm of each w/o looking at the reverses but doing it within say 10 seconds per coin. the 21 s almost always were 100% as the obv is just different enough seemingly across the whole obv that the general look of one is more than different enough from D & P even if the S is grease filled or missing. P & D are different enough buy my success of differentiation was much less than the S.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting indeed.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file