Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Always need to check your coins

coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

After I posted a picture last week of my Morgan roll, I wanted to take a look at them. Had not opened the roll in over 10 years. Since they are unprotected, don't like to touch or open the roll.Wasn't busy today and opened the roll. After flipping over the first coin, noticed a discoloration on about 1/4 of the rim. Same with the 2nd a so on, both sides. Started to freak out and had not noticed this before. Half way thru the roll, held one of the coins real close to my desk lamp for a better view with loupe and it was gone. Condensation had formed on the rims of all the coins. Held all the coins for a couple of seconds next to the bulb and cleared it right up.
The coins are in the plastic tube inside a white Intercept Shield slab box. I do not use a desiccant but wonder if I should start. Live in NJ and yeah it gets hot in the summer, but never thought the humidity would get inside the tube.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not normal. Well, at least for those of us in Nevada!!
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

If you sealed it on a humid day the last time you opened it up, all that humidity got sealed inside that plastic container.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2022 5:19PM

Condensation?!?!? You're kidding, right? No way in hell should that have ever happen! If that had happened to me, it would have been totally and completely my fault..... Zero excuses! Unless it was something beyond your control, like a natural disaster. Or the coins were stored someplace "very bad" before you came into possession of them.

And then of course your user name comes to mind. coastaljerseyguy= Hurricane Sandy. Were these coins evacuated or left behind during the superstorm?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

I live 5 miles from ocean, so although no power for 3 weeks after Sandy, house was ok. Plus the temp dropped below below freezing immediately after. Might be what Visanti mentioned, been a while since I opened,

• Options

Drastic and rapid change in temperature can easily cause condensation. The very first thing a coin collector learns is, how to protect his coins.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited December 6, 2022 9:51PM

@DeutscherGeist said:
    It is wise to use a desiccant. They are not expensive and do help preserve your coins, especially in the climate you are in. I use desiccants when I store coins (raw, slabbed, capsuled, flipped) in air-tite polypropylene storage boxes. After a year, you should go trough that box and put the desiccants in the oven to re-dry them so they can be used again.

I would invest in the reusable desiccants. It saves money in the long run. The desiccants I use have a window indicator that changes color when they need to be put in the oven to re-dry.

If this guy has condensation (that's moisture, that's WATER) on the coins, inside that plastic tube.............desiccant is not going to fix his problem. The cardboard box that tube is in, must be sitting in a pool of water!

The only way to solve the problem is at the source..........whatever that is.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@DeutscherGeist said:
    It is wise to use a desiccant. They are not expensive and do help preserve your coins, especially in the climate you are in. I use desiccants when I store coins (raw, slabbed, capsuled, flipped) in air-tite polypropylene storage boxes. After a year, you should go trough that box and put the desiccants in the oven to re-dry them so they can be used again.

I would invest in the reusable desiccants. It saves money in the long run. The desiccants I use have a window indicator that changes color when they need to be put in the oven to re-dry.

If this guy has condensation (that's moisture, that's WATER) on the coins, inside that plastic tube.............desiccant is not going to fix his problem. The cardboard box that tube is in, must be sitting in a pool of water!

The only way to solve the problem is at the source..........whatever that is.

I think we all know what condensation is, stop yelling. Not making excuses. Not sure what you are talking about, sitting in a pool of water! Ask for advice, or if this has happened to others, and some folks want to condemn you or like they know it all. The condensation was on < 1/4 of rim about 1/16 " wide, it was not floating in water.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use desiccant in my safe... Have for years. It works well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

Reading threads like these always makes me nervous. I use those double rowed intercept boxes. Maybe I should put those inside something though besides just letting them live on a shelf next to my albums.

Sorry that happened to your Morgans. If you have other coins nearby are those also affected? Or is just the one roll?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

And sea air humidity is the worst.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

for anyone wanting to do so, there must be 100 threads at least on the subject. this not just applies to homes but home safes, bank safe deposit boxes etc and there is 1 universal rule (at least) and that is like someone above mentioned, just check on your collectables (coins) a few times a year. the more they are worth, the more you have a vested interest to check on them. tpg holders are great but they are not 100%. (just like condoms for those of you that don't know)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@bagofnickels said:
    Reading threads like these always makes me nervous. I use those double rowed intercept boxes. Maybe I should put those inside something though besides just letting them live on a shelf next to my albums.

Sorry that happened to your Morgans. If you have other coins nearby are those also affected? Or is just the one roll?

Thanks, think everything is ok now since I caught it and the heat from the lamp appeared to dry up what what condensation there was on the coins. It was just the 1 roll. My Morgan, Peace and WLH albums are all ok and I look at those weekly.

Not sure if it was the long duration since opening the roll and upon thinking of this, now I am having a second opinion of how it might have occurred. Wonder if the condensation was caused 'after' removing the coins from the roll and was not present in the plastic. Yesterday was a very rainy warm winter day here. If the coins were cold, could the humidity in the house caused condensation to be attracted to the cold metal and immediately formed? Never saw this before, but got me wondering. I did take a a tissue to wipe the inside of the tube before replacing the coins and it was dry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file