Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 Lincoln penny - cool stuff

I found this penny in a coin roll. When I saw it come out of the wrap I was immediately curious. The condition is amazing. The sheen on the coin made me think it was a proof coin but upon further inspection I found no mint mark. I am new to coins but thought all proof coins had an S mint mark. It looks like it has some doubling going on. Anyone care to weigh in on thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mydiscussionboard... Welcome aboard. There can be proof coins from any mint - D, S or no mint mark P.... What is that mark above 'Liberty'? Cheers, RickO

• Options

The mark above liberty looks to be possibly a die crack

• Options

@Mydiscussionboard said:
    The mark above liberty looks to be possibly a die crack

If it were a die crack, it would be raised from the fields. Modern proofs were not minted at San Francisco until 1968.

Young Numismatist

• Options

Thank you for the input. I'm new to this so I'm still learning. You're information helps.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof coins in 1964 had no mint mark.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin looks to be a Proof but appears to be scratched.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos appear to be a bit overexposed, but coin photography is quite tricky. The coin also appears to be a proof with a scratch above LIBERTY. It's an absolutely cool find to have in a coin roll. As has been mentioned, proof coins were produced in Philadelphia and had no mintmark until 1968.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Hello it's I have 1964 coins as well if you would like me to post it I will if you guys are still talking about it hello my name is April and I'm new here

• Options

1964 penny

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doylGriggs1 said:
    Hello it's I have 1964 coins as well if you would like me to post it I will if you guys are still talking about it hello my name is April and I'm new here

Hi, April and welcome to the forum. I see that you have already posted pictures while I was typing a response initially. Those cents are common 1964-D Lincoln cents, but they're in too poor of condition to have any numismatic premium. Safe to spend those.

In the future, might I suggest starting your own thread as not to detract from the original post. Thank you for posting both sides of the coins, and continue to do the same thing if you're ever asking for help on here. Always try to get photos that are as crisp and clear as possible.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

This coin was probably one of the tens of thousands of coins presented to coin dealers each day in which the verdict was: "You can just spend these.". Thus, it ended up at a bank and in a roll.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file