Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A roll of 1973 D pennies from a friend

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted about some rolls I picked up from a friend at the Denver Coin Expo a couple months ago.

I bought 4 rolls from him, from his childhood a few years after these came out when he was about 11 and he had bought them at a coin show. He never searched any of the 4 rolls because pennies never became his thing. He told me that he likely dumped one or two of the rolls partially out to see them maybe when he was a teen but can't remember which rolls.

I've never done a roll of "fresh" 1973 D Lincolns before and oh my they are a mess lol.
I genuinely thought I was looking at whizzed coins at first.
Look at the group shot, all those foggy halos...that's some heavy-handed die polishing lol!

Our host's images of some higher grades, and it's still easy to spot that crazy die polishing lol https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1973-d-1c-rd/2962

It was my kind of fun and just wanted to share :smiley:
The one in the flip is the one I determined to be the best of the bunch.

As a side note, it appeared that every single one was an RPM-003 which is pretty neato.

The roll

All of them RPM-003

Best in show

Fun ones...

Can you spot the ultra heavy die polishing lol?

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

can't imagine there is much value there but the die polishing is over the top!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the die polish. They look amazing!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up that RPM-003 has the mintmark much lower relative to the date.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is some extensive die polishing on those cents. Thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

1973 is the only year with a very large FG on the reverse.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file