Home Sports Talk

Coach Prime goes to Colorado, and the first team meeting was the stuff of legend

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 5, 2022 11:06AM in Sports Talk

i'll be honest, i wasn't the biggest Prime Time fan back in his playing days. did i respect his game? absofreakinglutely. one of the best d-backs of all time. but rest of his persona was a bit much for me. i can still hear and picture his "Must be the Money" video........it still makes me cringe to this very day.

but Deion the coach? Coach Prime? i'm all-in. what he did at Jackson St. is/was nothing short of remarkable -- both on and off the field (read up on it sometime). 27-5 in his three years as HC.

now he has taken his wares to Colorado. if you want to live vicariously and know what it's like to play for him, check out his very first team meeting with the current Colorado players👇. it is too, too good. the reason i like him so much as a coach is because he's a straight shooter.........telling these kids right off the bat that some of them better hit the portal to make room for the ones he plans on bringing in is liquid gold. :D he carries a no-nonsense approach and tells it like it is. i can't get enough of people like that. following him at CU is going to be fascinating and i can't wait.

this clip is about 7 and a half mins long, but it's definitely worth 7 and a half mins of your day. if you were a college football player, check this out and try to tell me that you wouldn't want to play for this guy:

Comments

  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That was pretty interesting. It sounds like you and I felt similarly about Deion as a player. Incredible athlete, but the Prime Time persona was a bit much for me. I haven't really kept track of his coaching record, but it sounds like he did great things at Jackson.

    One thing caught my attention here. There was a point when he was talking about team meetings and saying something to the effect of "there will be no cell phones, no hoodies, no earrings (I think), etc." I just wondered how many of those young players were thinking that that kind of cool guy persona that he was talking about was also 100% his own persona as a player. Of course he backed that up with excellent play, but still a bit of "do as I say and not as I do."

    But I agree, you have to like that type of coach. Someone who appears willing to put in the effort himself and expects the players to match it. Give him your all and you will get the same from him.

    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 11:45AM

    @AFLfan said:

    One thing caught my attention here. There was a point when he was talking about team meetings and saying something to the effect of "there will be no cell phones, no hoodies, no earrings (I think), etc." I just wondered how many of those young players were thinking that that kind of cool guy persona that he was talking about was also 100% his own persona as a player. Of course he backed that up with excellent play, but still a bit of "do as I say and not as I do."

    Todd i was thinking the exact same thing. that statement was dripping with hypocrisy. but a part of me thinks he strategically included it to let those kids know that if they plan on traipsing around and making a spectacle of themselves the way he did, then they're sorely mistaken. i'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

    his press conference was pretty revealing as well. he publicly announced who his starting QB was going to be -- his son Shedeur who is following him from Jackson St. but in the same breath he mentioned that he left Shilo -- his other son -- behind because he's in his doghouse. whether or not that changes is anyone's guess, but if that stands then that's really all anyone needs to know about the magnitude of his seriousness.

    edit: after thinking it over he probably meant that he left him behind on his initial trip to the university, but it still plants a covert seed that he holds his own sons accountable and there will be no preferential treatment.

  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would have changed the wording used around the idea of how much they have versus the Jackson State kids. I thought his message might have taken a wrong turn.

    I'll be interested in how his season goes. And who from that clip stuck around or bolted.

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 11:42AM

    I spent a lot of time in the city of Boulder, I've got family there, and it's a beautiful city, if I could live anywhere besides North Carolina, it would be Boulder Colorado. It is an outdoors type city, rock climbing, hiking, skiing, kayaking, mountain biking, it's a lifestyle there, beautiful mountains and scenery. I've walked through the University of Colorado campus before, great atmosphere, great people. It sounds like Deion is the right guy for the job, I like his approach, no nonsense, discipline, hard work ethic, everyone held accountable. I think the kids will buy into it, and it should be fun to watch.

  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @galaxy27 said:

    @AFLfan said:

    edit: after thinking it over he probably meant that he left him behind on his initial trip to the university, but it still plants a covert seed that he holds his own sons accountable and there will be no preferential treatment.

    I need to look more into it because I just don't know enough, but at first glance, giving the starting qb spot to your own transfer son who has never played with any of his new teammates before and without a competition sounds like preferential treatment.

    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @AFLfan said:

    I need to look more into it because I just don't know enough, but at first glance, giving the starting qb spot to your own transfer son who has never played with any of his new teammates before and without a competition sounds like preferential treatment.

    it does, but i really should have included the press conference to give it context. after mentioning his son he then said multiple times that he will have to earn it. but i guess in his mind the job is his son's to lose after he was named the SWAC offensive player of the year -- passing for 3400 yards, a 6:1 TD/INT ratio, and scoring over 40 total touchdowns

    meanwhile Colorado had 9 passing touchdowns the entire season

  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well, it does sound like his son is a baller and will be an immediate improvement.

    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll always remember him dumping ice water on Tim McCarver in that clubhouse scene.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

    did not take long for Deion's impact to be felt in Boulder. the #4 receiver in the nation and 13th best player overall (according to 247sports) committed to Colorado within 24 hours

    the Buffs will be competing hard in no time

    https://247sports.com/Article/Deion-Sanders-recruiting-5-star-Winston-Watkins-commits-Colorado-199524060/

  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

    "Prime Time" arrives in Boulder.

    This may result in a CU Buffalos gridiron "Rocky Mountain High".

    Anyone want to wager how long Deion will coach at CU before he leaves for a better gig?

  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I'll always remember him dumping ice water on Tim McCarver in that clubhouse scene.

    I will always remember when he was confronted by Carlton Fisk.

    1990
    White Sox catcher Carlton Fisk struck a blow for traditionalists.

    Fisk got into a verbal exchange with Yankees outfielder Deion Sanders after the two-sport star drew a dollar sign in the batter’s box before an at bat at Yankee Stadium, and then failed to run out a pop-up. Fisk followed Sanders back to the Yankee dugout while shouting, “Run the ball out, you piece of sh*t.”

    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

    Kudos to Colorado for making this fantastic hire. Expect a fully turned over player roster and Coach Prime will have his team competing on a weekly basis. How many wins can we expect? Tough to say, but 6 wins is realistic for year 1. Bottom line, they will have talent, but it just takes time for new players and coaching staff to gel. Coach Prime absolutely needs to find the best offensive and defensive coordinators he can get.

  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2023 5:54AM

    i knew Coach Prime to Colorado was going to be fascinating, but it's already surpassing my expectations

    check out this drama for your momma....

    today Deion flipped a 5-star recruit named Cormani McClain. this kid is a d-back and the #4 prospect in the country. for months he had verbally committed to U of Miami, and on the day he was expected to sign the entire Miami coaching staff showed up at his high school for the signing ceremony.............with a Miami-themed cake, no less.

    only one slight problem. McClain was nowhere to be found. where was he, you may ask?

    and today he committed to CU. this is too good.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2023 6:26AM

    @Alfonz24 said:

    @BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I'll always remember him dumping ice water on Tim McCarver in that clubhouse scene.

    I will always remember when he was confronted by Carlton Fisk.

    1990
    White Sox catcher Carlton Fisk struck a blow for traditionalists.

    Fisk got into a verbal exchange with Yankees outfielder Deion Sanders after the two-sport star drew a dollar sign in the batter’s box before an at bat at Yankee Stadium, and then failed to run out a pop-up. Fisk followed Sanders back to the Yankee dugout while shouting, “Run the ball out, you piece of sh*t.”

    It's funny because Fisk was used to the old school and he probably thought Neon Deion's act was going to be short lived, little did Fisk know that the world he was used to living in was rapidly changing, Sanders was just the start.

    I can only imagine the deep rooted animosity guys like Fisk have agai st these guys who are making Millions more than they ever did.

  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have no problem with the player flipping his recruitment, but to leave the Miami staff hanging was very BAD.

    @galaxy27 said:
    i knew Coach Prime to Colorado was going to be fascinating, but it's already surpassing my expectations

    check out this drama for your momma....

    today Deion flipped a 5-star recruit named Cormani McClain. this kid is a d-back and the #4 prospect in the country. for months he had verbally committed to U of Miami, and on the day he was expected to sign the entire Miami coaching staff showed up at his high school for the signing ceremony.............with a Miami-themed cake, no less.

    only one slight problem. McClain was nowhere to be found. where was he, you may ask?

    and today he committed to CU. this is too good.

    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Go Buffs!!!!

    Boulder will be rocking this coming fall on Saturday during home games.

  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Alfonz24

    i'm not condoning anything that happened, i just find it to be compelling theater. the general public doesn't often get a glimpse of what takes place behind the scenes in the cutthroat (and no doubt corrupt) recruiting process. i'm sure there are a bazillion stories similar to this.

  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Should have had a espn special called the "decision part2"

    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
Sign In or Register to comment.