Home Precious Metals
Options

Powder gold ?

I crushed a Rock n panned it out n cleaned it as much as I could it's not effected by acids n it's not magnetic it conductes a current with a multimeter so it's a medal but which one can I melt it n make a coin

Comments

• Options
    OwlxOwlx Posts: 261 ✭✭

• Options

• Options

Does this like gold?

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2022 9:57PM

pyrite would be my first guess. You can pretty easily tell if it is brittle metal and thus crushes like pyrite or malleable and flattens nicely which would more gold like.

it is an interesting rock with quartz in it but without much clearer pics I cannot tell by the structure of the gold like parts. Pyrite is more crystalline.

• Options

Dies pyrite turn to dust wen u crush it

• Options

Becouse I crush n crush this n it don't turn to dust

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

That is pretty much what I would expect from a brittle metal like pyrite. Greenish/black when crushed or crumbled.

The easiest way to tell is take a nice little piece and poke it with a pin. Gold will dent pretty easily. Pyrite just breaks.

• Options

Oh it dents very easy It polishes glass its makes that eeteeteet skweeky clean noise on glass like wen u wipe a window with Windex noise !

• Options

I can dent it with my finger nail

• Options

Do u know wat the specific gravity is for gold crystalline!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your 'dust' and 'stone' look like pyrite.... Gold is very malleable and even as gold dust, should demonstrate malleability rather than hard crystals. Cheers, RickO

• Options

This is not pyrite I ruled that out when it polishes glass also when I get continuity with a muliti meter test .Gold is very yellow but when the silver content is high it turn more sliver then yellow .plus I roasted it with my torch n I just turned more yellow

• Options

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like SC mineral composition from near diamond Hill. Very likely pyrite.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 9:49PM

Gold has a distinct gold color.
    Shines in the shade.
    What's it look like under a 10x loupe?
    Lots of gold colored rocks look great to the eye, under 10x or better loupe it's hard to mistake natural gold.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 9:51PM

@Owlx said:

That one looks like a type of galena.
    Cool rocks in your area though.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Specific Gravity of gold is above 19. I don't see a piece big enough to test at home, but good luck.
    I'm in the camp that it is "maybe" gold. Yes, the lesser the karet the more silver gold becomes. What part of the world are you and what has been found in the area in the past. Is this just a piece of float or did you mine a vein? Sure would be fun if it's the latter and gold, 'eh?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com