Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Vault

I searched for this and didn't find another thread on it (or any details on the PSA site.) Apologies if this has been asked and answered. Does anyone have any details on the PSA Vault?

Does it cost anything? How do you send them hundreds of thousands of dollars of cards to put into the vault? (USPS? LOL.) I read they scan, manage and track pricing for you. Any other benefits? Anyone have any fine print about their liability coverage?

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think you have to pay sales tax if you ship to the vault, but I am not sure.

What's wrong with the USPS? I have been buying and selling for 35 years through the mail with almost no issues.

The vault doesn't appeal to me, I want my cards in hand.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:
    I searched for this and didn't find another thread on it (or any details on the PSA site.) Apologies if this has been asked and answered. Does anyone have any details on the PSA Vault?

Does it cost anything? How do you send them hundreds of thousands of dollars of cards to put into the vault? (USPS? LOL.) I read they scan, manage and track pricing for you. Any other benefits? Anyone have any fine print about their liability coverage?

I will add, since it hasn’t been mentioned, that it is now the default option when you fill out your submission form.

You can either automatically send your graded cards directly to the PSA vault or you can switch it to the second option of ‘Ship the Cards Back to Me.’

I think that you would save on taxes and shipping then, which can start to add up with some expensive cards.

I don’t use a vault service of any kind but the appeal makes a ton of sense conceptually with ‘investment grade’ cards.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Read the fine print to this stuff. It may be free to put cards in but there are fees to take them out. Some are very high.
    I used to use the PWCC vault to escape sales tax on ebay purchases. Not anymore after two cards were either lost or stolen.
    They gave me the big run-a-round and did nothing. Customer service stopped answering my emails.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I don't think you have to pay sales tax if you ship to the vault, but I am not sure.

What's wrong with the USPS? I have been buying and selling for 35 years through the mail with almost no issues.

The vault doesn't appeal to me, I want my cards in hand.

I trust USPS to a degree. But not with $250k worth of cards. And the insurance on that must be crazy.

I'm not sold on the vault yet either. I also prefer my cards in hand. But we're getting close to retiring and moving overseas, and it could be a good option instead of carting them all over the planet.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know if you buy a card on eBay. You can send it to the eBay vault. Can you do the same with the PSA vault? I haven't sent any cards to the vault.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I was about to use PWCC Vault awhile back and then they disappeared for some time. I heard they have had major issues with cards missing , lost or possibly stolen . I would be afraid of using any vault system. I'm sure there are plenty good reasons to use a vault system but like everything else it is not for everybody.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is some confusion in this thread between the PSA vault and the PWCC vault.

https://psacard.com/articles/articleview/10685/collectors-vault-provides-grading-marketplace-secure-storage-one-platform

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2022 8:11PM

don’t get the vault stuff at all / > @pab1969 said:

@jay0791 said:
    Read the fine print to this stuff. It may be free to put cards in but there are fees to take them out. Some are very high.
    I used to use the PWCC vault to escape sales tax on ebay purchases. Not anymore after two cards were either lost or stolen.
    They gave me the big run-a-round and did nothing. Customer service stopped answering my emails.

Sorry, this happened to you, but this is one of my biggest fears with any vault service. I buy and collect cards so I can enjoy them in my house whenever I want to look at them. I still don't understand why I would allow some stranger to be the caretaker of my cards. So many things could go wrong.

same here / don’t get the vault thing / is nice to pay less but the stuff I buy I want in hand

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    don’t get the vault stuff at all / > @pab1969 said:

@jay0791 said:

Sorry, this happened to you, but this is one of my biggest fears with any vault service. I buy and collect cards so I can enjoy them in my house whenever I want to look at them. I still don't understand why I would allow some stranger to be the caretaker of my cards. So many things could go wrong.

same here / don’t get the vault thing / is nice to pay less but the stuff I buy I want in hand

Doesn't work so well for a collector, but I can understand why it might for an investor, and easily for a flipper.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a good thing for flippers, volume sellers. I got back into cards and comics as main hobby 10 years ago this month. Strictly a collector. Gotta be in my hand, in the hobby den, or displayed. I'm far too much of a control freak for vault services B):D

• Options

I don't have any graded cards myself and I am relatively new to hobby. I love to sit and browse my collection though. Not being able to hold it or look at what you own would be disheartening in my opinion. Lock it it your own safe. If not mines got room for em ;)

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here actually figured out how to have their PSA Collectors vault items shipped back to them? For the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

@smallstocks said:
    Has anyone here actually figured out how to have their PSA Collectors vault items shipped back to them? For the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Did you figure it out? Maybe try emailing customer service or calling them.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

I did. Thanks.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

Do they accept raw cards to be placed in the vault?

Like, if I mail them large boxes filled with maybe 20,000 cards, mainly junk era cards, will they actually scan, and catalogue these cards onto my account? Seems like a daunting task for a free service.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cant understand why a collector would want their cards left in a vault/safe deposit box. you cannot control for their ultimate safety. items get destroyed in bank safe deposit boxes every single year.

for a flipper, i can see how it would make sense.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I cant understand why a collector would want their cards left in a vault/safe deposit box. you cannot control for their ultimate safety. items get destroyed in bank safe deposit boxes every single year.

If you lived in Maui, having your cards at the PSA vault sounds like a good idea now.
    Have you ever been burglarized? My house, my car, my storage facility have all been burglarized a half dozen times over the years, which included my card collection, and my coin collection....twice.
    I'm not a millionaire like most on this forum, so I guess by comparison I live in da hood.
    There are limitations to the "control of their ultimate safety" no matter what method of storage you choose.

I am considering moving cards to one of the vaults, PC and registry cards I have zero intention of selling currently.
    I'm weighing it against other options, and I sacrifice not having cards in hand, but vaulting seems to be the better fit for me.

As for flipping, I actually think having cards in hand is better than being tied to one vault(PSA, ebay, PWCC), because I'm more free to choose where I sell them, ebay, facebook, local auction house, card shop, etc.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

@craig44 said:

If you lived in Maui, having your cards at the PSA vault sounds like a good idea now.
    Have you ever been burglarized? My house, my car, my storage facility have all been burglarized a half dozen times over the years, which included my card collection, and my coin collection....twice.
    I'm not a millionaire like most on this forum, so I guess by comparison I live in da hood.
    There are limitations to the "control of their ultimate safety" no matter what method of storage you choose.

I am considering moving cards to one of the vaults, PC and registry cards I have zero intention of selling currently.
    I'm weighing it against other options, and I sacrifice not having cards in hand, but vaulting seems to be the better fit for me.

As for flipping, I actually think having cards in hand is better than being tied to one vault(PSA, ebay, PWCC), because I'm more free to choose where I sell them, ebay, facebook, local auction house, card shop, etc.

If possible maybe you should think of moving. Many people get killed in robberies. You can replace cards but you can not be replaced.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@pdoidoi said:

@RonSportscards said:

@craig44 said:

If possible maybe you should think of moving. Many people get killed in robberies. You can replace cards but you can not be replaced.

This has been several different locations over a 20+ years span. One of the times, the robber was still in the house when I got home from work. I was going to be hero, then thought better of it and exited the house and called the cops.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

The day I don’t have my cards accessible is the day I stop collecting. Love looking through them. Moving them around as I add cards, etc.