Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How long have you been collecting?

I loved collecting cards as a kid. I had 10s (of thousands) of baseball and hockey cards that I collected…only to have hem thrown away in the trash (in my teens). I’m back and I’ve started accumulating the hockey cards. It’s much more expensive now…LOL. I’m approaching my 1 year anniversary. I’ve collected close to 400 PSA cards and close to 4500 raw cards. All hockey from 1979,80,81.

How long have you been collecting ? Let’s hear your story…

Answers

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2022 11:24AM

Back in 1990. But what I truly ended up collecting in the end I just started my 3rd year. Took me a long time to find what was really for me. Not that I did not enjoy the other 29 years I did but now I am happy and will stick with what I now collect till the end.

Sports cards (NFL, NHL, MLB & NBA but mostly NHL & MLB), comic books (Silver Age), stamps and coins (Canada, USA & what I collect now). Now I only collect coins and that will no longer change.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first pack purchase was 1980 but I didn’t get into the hobby with gusto until spring 1986.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since 1987.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spring of 1976, buying packs of Topps baseball and hoping to get Cubs...lol. Did that up to 1982 or so, then drifted back in 2019.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

1987 topps. been at it ever since

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Babysitter’s boyfriend bought me a pack on a whim.
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2022 3:54PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Back in 1990. But what I truly ended up collecting in the end I just started my 3rd year. Took me a long time to find what was really for me. Not that I did not enjoy the other 29 years I did but now I am happy and will stick with what I now collect till the end.

Sports cards (NFL, NHL, MLB & NBA but mostly NHL & MLB), comic books (Silver Age), stamps and coins (Canada, USA & what I collect now). Now I only collect coins and that will no longer change.

The earliest memory I have is buying packs of 1989-90 OPC hockey at a local corner store then I knew I was (still am) a collector.

When I pulled Mario Lemieux & Wayne Gretzky I was super happy.

Not my box just random image:

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first packs I bought were 1970. I can remember in the early to mid-70's going through the boxes of cello packs and the peg boards of rack packs in stores and buying the packs with stars showing (wish I didn't open them!). I bought cards from 1970 through 1978 before getting back into it later on.

I can remember attending some card shows in Brooklyn and Manhattan in the later 1970s and still have some cards from back then. These cards came from that time (condition wasn't a big thing to me back then - it didn't matter that Robin Roberts had a bite taken out, a staple hole, a scuff and a big crease!). These cards hold so much more value to me than on the open market:

Daniel
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

1983 Topps is my earliest collecting memory. I distinctly remember the three cards below (originals) that were stuck between the frame and mirror of my dresser. I believe Schmidt was there, too, along with a couple other Phillies. But these three cards were my “collecting” beginning. Some call it a disease; I call it an ease.

Andy

• Options

Started in 1982 at 9 years old. My mom and I were at a yard sale and there was big box of cards for $5. My mom talked him down to $2 because she thought they would be all over the house. Some good cards in that box, I still have the actual box and the cards.
    Later my mom and I got into card shows and more interested in autographs than cards.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Continuously since 1990.

Son got interested and we collected together.

He left. I stayed.

I've enjoyed it very much tho cards have never been my focus.

Baseball board games until I had so many? No where to store.

Now. Very small projects and overall more disinterested than excited. I'm sure many have had the same thing happen.

That's also reflected in my lack of posting on forums. Tho I do watch some of the youtube channels on the state of the hobby.

Sports card radio brothers are very entertaining - like watching a train wreck.

I've always enjoyed the people here on the forum. I started in 2003 and joined in 2004.

Mike
  • Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

Matt

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

1970-72, took a break and then started up again in the late 1980's, continuing to this day.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

First cards were 75
    Got really into hobby in 81-83
    Left 1984-2004
    Back since then!

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    First cards were 75
    Left 1984-2004
    Back since then!

That's pretty close to my timeline as well, but I was never "completely" gone (mostly gone for sure), and I came back hard around 2001. You must be about 55ish.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    First cards were 75
    Left 1984-2004
    Back since then!

Almost my timeline too, except I started in '76, made it to '87 the first time and didn't get back in until about 2010.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    First cards were 75
    Left 1984-2004
    Back since then!

Mines a similar story too

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started in 1978 when my dad bought my cousin and I each a box of 1978 Topps to keep us quiet on a motorhome trip from San Diego to Montana. I somehow recall Ed Ott being the first card I saw in my first pack. I was five years old than and have never stopped collecting, though my focus has changed a few times over the years.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 12:16PM

I've collected stuff for most of my life. My problem is that for the most part I don't remember much of anything under the age of 10. After 10, memories are of very bad times and are still a part of my everyday existence. After the passing of both parental units almost 8 years ago, suspicions we're verified by relatives which explained a lot but doesn't excuse things.

So, with that said, I'm always trying to kickstart my brain on finding good things in my past so just thought of something I had lying around here which could be the start of my card collecting of sorts.

Feast you eyes upon this blast from the 70's past. While other kids were getting the coolest lunch boxes to take their lunches to school in, I got this.

Yup, thanks a LOT there folks.

So what's a kid to do?

Funny in I actually do remember opening packs of King Kong cards. Not sure whatever happened to the cards. I think the flag stickers came from bread and no idea where the Conan sticker came from.

Flash forward and next time I had anything to do with cards would have been early 80's buying various Fun Packs bags filled with non-sports cards and a LOT of Empire Strikes Back rack packs.

First baseball card I can remember owning would be a beat to heck 1986 Topps Rusty Staub found while picking the local dump in probably 1987 (don't judge me, lots of great finds when you could actually pick the dump :D ) and first purchase of baseball cards would be 1988 Donruss cello packs. Think the first one had Gregg Jefferies on top which is why anytime I found his cards I always put them aside.

I'll add this as well. First record I distinctly remember buying with my own money would be this.

This isn't the exact one as the original has long sense disappeared but this copy I picked up this year is really close condition wise to how I remember it. That one album started me on the journey of what has now amounted to over 3,500 pieces in my physical music collection (lp's,45's,78's,8-tracks,cassettes,compact discs). And yes, I know I have a problem, but much worse things to be addicted to.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

1977 1st edition Star Wars packs - right out of the box on the counter at a Cumberland Farms.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

1978 was my first year, so it's been 44 years. Retired from the hobby this past summer.

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Summer of 1973 series 5 Topps baseball. Pulled the Schmidt - upgraded much later. Jimmy Yee, classmate at Fairview elementary got me going. Saturday mornings at Lake City 7/11 - Zots, cards, and Slurpees.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

1977-age 7 Twinkie boxes. I recall rifling through the boxes looking for favorites (Rose,Seaver,Ryan) At age 12 had paper route money and started buying all types. Baseball, football, Star Wars,…..it’s never gotten old for me.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ironwill said:
    1977-age 7 Twinkie boxes. I recall rifling through the boxes looking for favorites (Rose,Seaver,Ryan) At age 12 had paper route money and started buying all types. Baseball, football, Star Wars,…..it’s never gotten old for me.

hey Ironwill,
    paper route money was the way to go back then... I did the same thing... :)

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:
    ......paper route money was the way to go back then.........

Never again will a kid know what it feels like to have a basket attached to his bicycle that's full of newspapers at 5AM.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2022 8:14AM

1978 - had one pack from 1977 and put the cards in a wallet and carried them around everywhere. They were bent to crap. Remember one of them being Dave Parker.

Just wanted Dave Kingman and Bruce Sutter - for some reason I had 3 Sutters before I finally pulled a Kingman. Once I pulled Kingman I moved to Star Wars cards. They had the yellow series at the drug store on the corner.

Nothing beat getting a quarter from my parents. A pack of cards and a few jolly ranchers.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Born in 57, started getting few packs in 1967 at Jack's market in NJ.
    But 1968 is when I became a truly addicted.. Lol

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started collecting hockey cards in 1973 and by the time I stopped in 1979 I had cards from all 4 sports. I took a break from collecting for about 8 years while I was working, finishing high school and then getting married. Once I was married and settled, I started collecting coins in 1987. I got started in coins by accident when my wife (who was a bank teller) brought home a couple of rolls of silver quarters. In trying to decide what to collect, I quickly gravitated to gold. I put together a 13 piece U. S. Gold type set. I did this from 1987 through 1993. I sold all of it off (except for the 1907 $20 Gold High Relief) in order to fund my Nolan Ryan collection that I started in September of 1993. I collected Nolan Ryan for 27 years (up until 2020). That is the same number of years that he pitched in the major leagues. I sold my Ryan collection off to help fund my coin collection that I started back up with my brother in law in 2017. Now I collect PCGS graded coins only. I'm trying to put together a couple of different U. S. Type sets. My goal is to finish the Basic U. S. Type set in the next couple of years and the Dansco 7070 Type set in the next 5-7 years. The complete U.S. Type set is just a dream. My hope is to get up around 90% complete before I lose interest from old age, run out of money or die. Whichever comes first. Anyhow, it's been a GREAT ride!!!

Enjoy your hobby no matter what you collect.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought and collected heavily from 1974-1980. Got back into it around 2002.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comics: 1975 - 1987; 2012 - present
    Cards: 1983 - 2000; quick stint as flipper 2008 - 2009; 2012 - present.

• Options

Started collecting when I was around 9 (late 1980s), mostly my hometown teams of Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks, and Notre Dame for college. Got tired of the loads of different brands/types of cards flooding the market in the 90s, and decided to switch to collecting vintage, especially Ernie Banks and Walter Payton.

Stopped collecting when I was around 17, and got back into the hobby around 8 years ago, mostly focusing on my favorite players and HOFers from my favorite teams. Loved meeting some of my favorite players from my childhood in person, like Jody Davis, Rick Reuschel, Dan Hampton, Mike Singletary, and Chris Zorich, among many others.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

started collecting around 1988-89. had paper route so couldnt afford too much cept from the bargain bin at the local card store

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    started collecting around 1988-89. had paper route so couldnt afford too much cept from the bargain bin at the local card store

hey slimies,
    The paper route was the way to go back then...crazy we delivered paper to buy cardboard... :)

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcolney1 said:
    Summer of 1973 series 5 Topps baseball. Pulled the Schmidt - upgraded much later. Jimmy Yee, classmate at Fairview elementary got me going. Saturday mornings at Lake City 7/11 - Zots, cards, and Slurpees.

Any wacky packs? 🤔🙂

• Options
    Billyk97Billyk97 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Started collecting when I was 4 in 2001 topps. Remembered my dad and I having such a hard time getting the cards undone. Collected till I was about 13 and then got back in to it around 2019 and have been heavily collecting vintage ever since!

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@slimies said:

hey slimies,
    The paper route was the way to go back then...crazy we delivered paper to buy cardboard... :)

the year i stopped (1994) delivering i made $120 in christmas tips from the customers. got myself a few cards that holiday.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. An older cousin gave me his collection and then I bought my first packs, 1979 Topps football wax.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

To the best of my old memory, 1978 was the sets that I recall going to the local drug store and buying packs regularly. The Roger Staubach and other Cowboys greats were my grails. My love for the Bowmans and other vintage football exploded in 1995 when the NFL released "75 Seasons" and I fell in love with the history of the sport and the icons of the 30's through 5o's like Baugh, Graham, Luckman etc.