Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1972 dbl die? (I’m bad with this kind of stuff)

OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 4, 2022 8:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I feel stupid asking this, I’m thinking machine doubling but it’s been bugging me since I found it. Please share your feedback, thank you!

Edit: My 3rd time coin roll hunting!

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Comments

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Congrats! That one is a doubled die. :)

What!!

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the biggie for the year, but still a nice doubled die.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now see if you can nail down what one it is. ;)

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/DDO 1972.htm

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

If his pics were just a little bit better.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@JBK I wanted to give you a like, agree & lol but you know that's not how it works so you got a lol. ;)

• Options

It’s the FS-102 or 107. More pics too!

• Options

Check for the die gouge to confirm 102 ;)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

And flatten down the staples on that 2x2! ;)

• Options

@JBK said:
    And flatten down the staples on that 2x2! ;)

I was in such a rush I did it backwards!

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Check for the die gouge to confirm 102 ;)

Not seeing it, are you?

• Options

Hard to tell but it looks like it might be there. ;)

If you are having a hard time seeing it there is also a slight difference with the W in WE between the 102 & 107.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, congrats on the find!! Zooming in on your last pic it looks like the die gouge is there.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Hard to tell but it looks like it might be there. ;)

If you are having a hard time seeing it there is also a slight difference with the W in WE between the 102 & 107.

@morgandollar1878 said:
    Nice, congrats on the find!! Zooming in on your last pic it looks like the die gouge is there.

Thank you, your eyes are better than mine I guess. ;)

• Options

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up, congrats

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the big doubled die for 72 bit still nice. Also doubled die coins are not errors they are a variety.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

And it ain’t worn out.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find... Glad to see one found while CRH'ing..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 4, 2022 7:53AM

@ricko said:
    Nice find... Glad to see one found while CRH'ing..... Cheers, RickO

Funny enough, I’ve only searched 8 rolls… Ever. :D

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks like a nice find to me! Congrats!

----- kj
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know the mintage of the 1972 DD?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 and 7 sure look an awfully lot like just different die states of each other. i'm not really up for debating this one at this time. just a modest (obvious?) observation. @ifthevamzarockin what'd they call it at VW, evil mimic?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    2 and 7 sure look an awfully lot like just different die states of each other. i'm not really up for debating this one at this time. just a modest (obvious?) observation. @ifthevamzarockin what'd they call it at VW, evil mimic?

It's 102. You can identify 107 easily by looking for a small dot in Lincoln's mouth, and in-hand the doubling is nowhere near as clear as 102. I've been selling ANACS MS64 and MS65 RD examples of 1022 on eBay for about $60 to $125.

102 (ANACS MS64 RD):

107 (ANACS MS65RD):

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@cmerlo1 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

It's 102. You can identify 107 easily by looking for a small dot in Lincoln's mouth, and in-hand the doubling is nowhere near as clear as 102. I've been selling ANACS MS64 and MS65 RD examples of 1022 on eBay for about $60 to $125.

wow. talk about a variety whose premium came down. i think i remember one of those in higher RD sell for well into 4 figures long ago, of course, a lot more examples coming to light usually does that.

someone i know several years back, based on that prior sale was stoked to have came up with a couple nice RD gems of #2 and sent em off to HA and their hammer was quite disappointing.

i haven't even looked at the pops in a long time. i'd have to venture a guess at least several dozen in RD at pcgs alone these days. i may have to go look up what recent examples have sold for in 65 and higher.

still a good premium though considering the non variety price.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC I think the spread on WE shows it best that they are 2 different dies and not just die state. ;)
    In the photos you posted you can see where the secondary image on the W is not as high on the right side of the W.
    The lower part of the E is not the same either.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

wow. talk about a variety whose premium came down. i think i remember one of those in higher RD sell for well into 4 figures long ago, of course, a lot more examples coming to light usually does that.

someone i know several years back, based on that prior sale was stoked to have came up with a couple nice RD gems of #2 and sent em off to HA and their hammer was quite disappointing.

i haven't even looked at the pops in a long time. i'd have to venture a guess at least several dozen in RD at pcgs alone these days. i may have to go look up what recent examples have sold for in 65 and higher.

still a good premium though considering the non variety price.

You might be thinking of die 4- that's the rarest of the DDO's.

In 2015, I helped a dealer buddy of mine buy and certify a hoard of 1971 (2 rolls, RD unc), 1972 (18 rolls- dies 2,3,5,7, and 8 (with 12 die 4's mixed in), and 1973 (1 roll) DDO's. We've been dispersing it since then.

What I've seen is the price for Die 2 and die 8 increase in 64 and 65 RD from around $30 - $40, to the all-time high of one in 65 RD for $125 each. Die 7 has never sold for more than around $65 - $70 in 65 RD. We did really well on the die 5's as well, and got $300 - $400 for some of those.

The die 4's ranged in grade from AU to MS64 RED, with the top price for an ANACS 64 RED for $3000.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@cmerlo1 said:
    You might be thinking of die 4- that's the rarest of the DDO's.

In 2015, I helped a dealer buddy of mine buy and certify a hoard of 1971 (2 rolls, RD unc), 1972 (18 rolls- dies 2,3,5,7, and 8 (with 12 die 4's mixed in), and 1973 (1 roll) DDO's. We've been dispersing it since then.

What I've seen is the price for Die 2 and die 8 increase in 64 and 65 RD from around $30 - $40, to the all-time high of one in 65 RD for $125 each. Die 7 has never sold for more than around $65 - $70 in 65 RD. We did really well on the die 5's as well, and got $300 - $400 for some of those.

The die 4's ranged in grade from AU to MS64 RED, with the top price for an ANACS 64 RED for $3000.

you're right. :) momentary misremember on my part.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file