Home U.S. Coin Forum

Polished?

This is polished right?

Was thinking about getting it, but I have a feeling the value is way lower cause of the polish. Then again I haven’t really seen a large cent that’s polished. Any help or input is appreciated.

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 1:44PM

Looked whizzed to me as well, jmo the reverse does anyway

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 6:09AM

I don’t see signs of polishing or abrasive cleaning. Looks like an AU that was dipped awhile ago.
    If it was a silver coin, dipping isn’t that big of a deal. It’s a much bigger problem for copper, as it will likely never retone properly.
    This is a very common coin. No need to buy one with problems.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very common date that has been cleaned. Pass.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color looks unnatural, but the coin appears to have been cleaned or dipped, not polished.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd only want to buy cents that are graded already or from a reputable seller as many of these have been re-toned or fooled with in other ways.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No visible signs of polishing.... Likely dipping as others have said above. Get a slabbed coin, you will be certain of authenticity, condition/grade. Cheers, RickO

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin may have been dipped long ago and recolored. It is an AU coin. You can purchase a Certified mint state coin of this date for under $300. I would suggest you go that route.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Along with the above-mentioned cleaning issues it has several hits. Pass on this one.
    The board is a good source with no tuition.
    Best wishes.

• Thank you all for your input, now if may ask how do you know it’s been dipped? Is that why it looks more red brown?

@EvanCrook1 said:
    Thank you all for your input, now if may ask how do you know it’s been dipped? Is that why it looks more red brown?

Original, un-dipped examples can display a wide assortment of red, red-brown or brown colors. However, the color of the one you posted doesn’t appear to be original/natural.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited December 3, 2022 12:57PM

Original red:

Faux red, mostly retoned after decades:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Original red:

Faux red, mostly retoned after decades:

Those both look BN to me, not RD.

I was referring to the traces of red, sir….

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2022 5:42PM

A few things about this coin make me take pause. The color is a little too orange, and the denticles over the "UN" in United looks a little pinkish. Pink is a telltale sign of chemical cleaning and dipping. The roughness under the "N" in United and again under the "ME" America looks more like mechanical cleaning than flow lines. I am not as much an expert as some on this thread, but that is my opinion if I were looking to buy it myself.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file