Home U.S. Coin Forum

Real or Counterfeit- 1835 Half Cent

Hi yall,

I was scrollin around ebay and saw this 1835 Half cent, and wanted yalls opinions on it before I bid. I was just a little hesitant as its coming from an international seller and does not accept returns.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

The images make it "feel" real to me, but take into consideration that I have pulled no reference material to look at it closely and am going by instinct.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks genuine to me at first glance. It is a Cohen 1 with large ST distance in STATES. Which is no real difference in value until mid MS range.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote real.

Tom

• Perfect, thank yall. Just needed a second opinion on it.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks OK to me as well

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me. Is there something that you see on your coin that you find to be suspicious?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine, but possibly lightly corroded on the reverse. These are easy to find in nice condition at reasonable prices, so I’d steer clear unless it was real cheap.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks real but has far too many marks on the obverse and probable corrosion on the reverse. I'd pass even if is cheap.

All glory is fleeting.
  • WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine, I think you will find it is cleaned though if you end up buying it

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks authentic.... However, I avoid international sellers and no return policies... You may not get the coin pictured. Deal done. Cheers, RickO

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real to me as well, but as others have said, this is not a difficult piece to find nice... and in the US if you want to mitigate shipping costs.

The OP coin looks VF-XF details, cleaned and corroded (look at "STATES" on the Reverse of the coin)... I wouldn't bother...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I'd pass even if is cheap.

Would you buy it for a dollar? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks good to me, Cohen 1..... S and T in states far apart..

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@291fifth said:
    I'd pass even if is cheap.

Would you buy it for a dollar? ;)

Actually, because it involves a foreign seller with no return priv. I would not.

All glory is fleeting.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

As they say in Texas....................El Paso.

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2022 5:07PM

Genuine C-1, cleaned and environmental damage.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not buy from any dealer with a no return policy, International or American. Such a dealer may be as honest as can be, but I will not find out.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file