Home U.S. Coin Forum

Black Roosevelt dime

I ran across this 2001D Dime . Can't find a reason it would be black. Look forward to your comments.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the environmental damage assessment. It has a look consistent with such coins.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

with @jmlanzaf. It almost looks like a metal detector find.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Junk

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metal detecting dig

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly picked off the ground or maybe from a parking lot.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2022 7:05PM

deleted

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bamaphil ... Welcome aboard. As noted above (several times), your dime has environmental damage and warrants no numismatic premium. Spend it. Cheers, RickO

• BamaphilBamaphil Posts: 113 ✭✭

@ricko
    I appreciate your comment. Everyone that made a comment pretty much said the same. I know you're not supposed to clean a coin but I just wanted to see if I could get it clean. I tried soap and hot water didn't work. And then I went and tried acetone. The coin stayed the same as it is in the picture. I'm a little curious why nothing's cleaning it. You have any ideas?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bamaphil.... It is just worth ten cents, so use a regular tarnish removal product. Like a jewelry cleaner or Tarn-X.... It should come off. Cheers, RickO

• Looks like extreme heating to me. This half had been heated to red hot and was black as night when it cooled off. I doubt it could be removed with any chemical.

• BamaphilBamaphil Posts: 113 ✭✭

@JohnThePainter
    Thanks for that information.. I didn't even think about the heat but it makes sense. I imagine you're right about the heat.I don't think any chemical can clean that either.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bamaphil said:
    @ricko
    I appreciate your comment. Everyone that made a comment pretty much said the same. I know you're not supposed to clean a coin but I just wanted to see if I could get it clean. I tried soap and hot water didn't work. And then I went and tried acetone. The coin stayed the same as it is in the picture. I'm a little curious why nothing's cleaning it. You have any ideas?

It is chemically oxidized not "dirty". Try soap and water or acetone on a rusty nail and see what happens.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file