Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Walking Liberty Half 25% off-center on Steel Cent Planchet in Heritage Auction

ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2022 3:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just one of many U.S. major mint errors in the upcoming Heritage Auction on December 21. “The Misfits Collection of U.S. Error Coinage”, Part 2 Showcase Auction #63200.

https://coins.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=63200&ic=breadcrumb-coins-121913-interior

This is a very famous mint error and just one of 2 known. It was formerly in the Milt Cohen Error Collection.

https://minterrornews.com/features-11-14-06-milt_cohen_collection.html

The other known Walker on a Steel Cent blank was certified by PCGS. I purchased it from Fred Weinberg and sold it. It has re-sold a few times.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is amazing the first circulated down to XF

on the second, how come the left field did not get flattened out and still shows remnants of upset rim. Shouldn't it be a broadstruck inside a half dollar collar?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some more amazing coins.

These coins are super rare.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

Circulated without a clear denomination? That seems unlikely.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, just make sure the “scores of coins” are as awesome and interesting as this one.
    If you post only the really good stuff, we’ll let the rules slide a bit…

• Options
    edited November 27, 2022 5:31PM

I thought this forum was about coins and learning about them.

Mike showed us some really cool and extremely rare coins.

Thanks for sharing.

• Options

In my opinion, it was a pocket piece to show off. Not ‘circulated’ in the traditional way.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    ‘’Just one of many U.S. major mint errors in the upcoming Heritage Auction on December 21. “The Misfits Collection of U.S. Error Coinage”, Part 2 Showcase Auction #63200.’’

Do you know the owner of this coin? Is this just “free advertising” of this coin here on this board? If this is ok to do, I can post scores of my customers’ (cool) coins coming up in auctions at Heritage, GC, etc. including more than a dozen cool/interesting errors (ex: how about not 1 but 8!! SLQ errors coming up in one auction at Heritage FUN). Just never thought it was “open season” here.

Wondercoin

Speaking for myself, I'd rather see posts about interesting coins in upcoming auctions than posts about parking lot finds and grading. And if it ever gets to the point where there are too many of these posts, easy enough to start a new forum for Upcoming Auctions. Same as with the BST.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

B) error

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options

This mint state off-center Flying Eagle Cent pedigreed to Milt Cohen is spectacular and collectors will be fighting over it:

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for posting these, I would not have known about their existence otherwise!

• Options

My pleasure!

It’s part 2 of “The Misfits Collection of U.S. Error Coinage” auctioned by Heritage.

Part 3 is in January 2023.

This collection is ranked in the top 3 mint error collections of all time!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the OP's error was struck on a steel planchet wouldn't that indicate the Walker is 1943?

peacockcoins

• Options

That’s a good question.

Except that there are 1944 dated Steel Cents, a few 1944 dated Nickels on Steel Cent blanks, (5) 1944 dated Quarters on Steel Cent blanks…

• Options

In this sale is a Quarter on a Steel Cent blank…. dated 1944!

• Options
    edited November 27, 2022 8:23PM

The U.S. Mint at Phili in 1944 struck Belgium 2 Franc coins on LEFTOVER 1943 steel planchets that were used to produce Lincoln Cents.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - somehow I was unaware of this auction despite keeping a pretty close eye on HA. Thanks for posting - some amazing material here, though I’m sure much beyond my price range!

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question @braddick, I’m thinking a 43 or 44 date would be appropriate for the slab label

• Options

@J2035 said:
    Wow -though I’m sure much beyond my price range!

I'm with you. An absolute stunning assortment!

I thought about it, I laughed (actually cried) about it, then I forgot about it! I'm still at the die chip mint error level. I'll be moving up to the die crack level in about five years! 😂 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@davewesen said:

Circulated without a clear denomination? That seems unlikely.

I'll bet most of us don't check our change to make sure it has a clear denomination. I'll also bet that we check our change far more closely than average. I can easily see a coin about the same color, size, and weight circulating without many people looking further.

After all, there is a far bigger difference between a '70s-'80s Washington and an SBA.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2022 11:22PM

These bonded mint errors with smaller planchets are extremely rare and are also in this upcoming session of the auction:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some amazing error coins here - and others often posted as well. I believe most must be found in bags of coins, or the result of midnight minting efforts. The only error coin I have found in circulation is a blank cent planchet. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Some amazing error coins here - and others often posted as well. I believe most must be found in bags of coins, or the result of midnight minting efforts. The only error coin I have found in circulation is a blank cent planchet. Cheers, RickO

A midnight acquisition on the midnight shift at the mint?? 😂 😉

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR .... In the words of the famous Sgt. Shultz.... "I see nothinggggg." :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

The rarest mint errors in this collection are the type coins, but there are some modern mint errors that are incredible too…

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot access any of these on my Heritage account.

Handy linky would be quite handy, please. Thank You !

• Options
    edited November 28, 2022 7:39PM
  • Options

@LindyS

All of the Heritage Auction links for the mint errors are up and have images now…

• Options

Awesome Error Collection !

I recognize a few from Steiner and Ziempher from mid 1970's MECCA Issues and their price lists and books. Items I have not seen available for decades. I'm in hunt for a couple or more, now that I see whats being offered.
    Sheer quantity may bring lower hammer prices ?
    Fun stuff !

Can you link me to Misfits #1, please ?

I do searches but I don't get Heritage results I seek.

• Options
  • Options

Additional link I am curious about is Part 1 Misfits which I assume has closed ?

• Options
  • Options

Awesome !!!

Good to see what errors sold for. Thank You !

This one cosigner had accumulated a vast array of rare errors over decades !

• Options

LindyS

I think that many record prices will be set in part 2 and part 3 of this collection.

This overstruck mint error certainly set a record in part 1 for a State Quarter overstruck by Cent Dies:

• Options

LindyS

Your flip-over NH is very cool

• Options
    edited November 29, 2022 5:34PM

Thank You Very Much !!!

It's a top ten for me.

Something I had to own when it presented itself to then further round out my error coin collection.

For me lately, it's all been about what the mint machinery can produce for collector market or random mistakes that somehow escape or shenanigans struck as lucky one offs with help.

I love error coinage, more so when I need something to fill in a perceived hole in my fluid error coin collection

@Byers said:
    LindyS

Your flip-over NH is very cool

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    LindyS

I think that many record prices will be set in part 2 and part 3 of this collection.

This overstruck mint error certainly set a record in part 1 for a State Quarter overstruck by Cent Dies:

Dumb description, 11 cent, should be 25 cents

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Byers said:
    In my opinion, it was a pocket piece to show off. Not ‘circulated’ in the traditional way.

That makes sense. > @Treashunt said:

@Byers said:
    LindyS

Should be 26 cent piece

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2022 10:51PM

@Byers said:
    Just one of many U.S. major mint errors in the upcoming Heritage Auction on December 21. “The Misfits Collection of U.S. Error Coinage”, Part 2 Showcase Auction #63200.

https://coins.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=63200&ic=breadcrumb-coins-121913-interior

This is a very famous mint error and just one of 2 known. It was formerly in the Milt Cohen Error Collection.

https://minterrornews.com/features-11-14-06-milt_cohen_collection.html

That's what I call a "half cent". ;)

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

@Byers said:
    LindyS

My typo, I meant to say 26 cents

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bidding absolutely crazy! Did anyone win anything? Some amazing coins tonight.

• Options

Overall very strong prices!!

A few things fell through the cracks and were rips…

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that Fugio.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ byers Can you tell us where the "rips" were? I am very curious!

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a crazy auction! Lots of fun to watch.

1. I think Heritage could have greatly increased bids by having this be a live auction with an actual auctioneer and some buzz. Many of these coins were absolute highlights and didn't even get a description!

2. Here is one that felt like a great deal to me:
      https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/1971-s-50c-kennedy-half-dollar-obverse-retained-die-break-struck-in-a-piece-of-a-die-pr65-ngc/a/63200-93216.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Proof error with actual die steel embedded due to a crumbling die!

But there were many others that I felt could have gone for more with more eyeballs on this auction.

1. This one went absolutely nuts and I'm not sure why:
      https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/-1864-73-2c-two-cent-piece-double-struck-second-strike-off-center-au55-ngc/a/63200-93074.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It was the most expensive lot in the auction but not close to the coolest or rarest coin unless I'm really missing something. 2 people just really wanted it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file