Home Sports Talk
Options

Which of the 4 major pro sports will sell trophy naming rights first?

VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Thinking about the overwhelming amount of marketing we see in sports, which one will be the first to sell the naming rights to their championship trophy?

Which of the 4 major pro sports will sell trophy naming rights first?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NHL

I went with the NHL. I believe they have already begun selling sponsorship spots on jerseys. So I would think trophy naming rights being sold wouldn't be out of the question down the road.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MLB

I highly doubt it will be the NBA when their next Streaming/TV contract that is expected to be signed over the next few years for around 75 billion. The salary cap is expected to jump from around 120M-ish (now) to about 170-180M-ish (then,) they just won't need to really sell off the trophy naming rights.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:
    I went with the NHL. I believe they have already begun selling sponsorship spots on jerseys. So I would think trophy naming rights being sold wouldn't be out of the question down the road.

Stanley Tools should be all over this

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NFL

Chico Bail Bonds

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MLB

I went with MLB since it's the only one not named after anyone already.

Steve

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

The NHL doesn't own it so can't sell naming rights to the trophy.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did not vote... If the NFL wanted to really maximize trophy selling/sponsorships, why not create trophies for the big NFL rivalry games? I see an easy 10-15 trophies that could be created that would be magnets for sponsorships.

Roger... if you read this, we should be able to work out the terms to make it happen $$$$

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NHL

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

I didn't know that. I thought it was property of the NHL. Who owns it?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

I didn't know that. I thought it was property of the NHL. Who owns it?

It's owned and managed by a trust.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont see it happening. I have commented that I'd like to see the AFC Championship game renamed as the Tom Brady Invitational.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^ this!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MLB

@thisistheshow said:
    I dont see it happening. I have commented that I'd like to see the AFC Championship game renamed as the Tom Brady Invitational.

I had a previous comment that i ended up not posting here saying I'd love to see the NBA change the Larry O'Brien championship trophy and rename it after Bill Russell. It would never happen though because his name is already being used on the Finals MVP trophy.

• Options

Interesting comments so far. I did not know the NHL didn't even own their own championship trophy!