Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hopefully about to get this absolute gem of a coin (Mint State Buffalo Nickel)

SummerDays3104SummerDays3104 Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 25, 2022 8:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What do you guys think the value is on it?

Comments

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Pass. Weak date. A very common coin in mint state. Wait until a nice one slabbed by a major TPG comes along. That way you don't have guess about how it will grade.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Go for it, great start to a nice set. You can always upgrade years down the road as your income grows. Meanwhile pick that baby up and smile all day long!

    bob :)

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

    As a fellow low budget collector I think you did ok.

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options

    Nice coin for sure. Congratulations

    Randy Conway

    Www.killermarbles.com

    Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2022 3:26AM

    Looks pretty solid to me, for forty bucks in trade.


    Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It appears that you could get fair value for your trade - though we have no idea of what you traded for it. Normally, I would recommend getting a slabbed coin. Will you submit it for grading? Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It’s always better to buy mint state certified, if you can, especially, when the price difference is little, but if that’s all your budget allows, then you did fine. You won’t lose and you can upgrade later. As a beginner and a YN you should be learning and having fun, which I think you are doing.

    “I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

    Depends on what you want it for. If it's an album I think this is a fine coin. But if you really want an impressive buffalo nickel you might find saving to get a MS one worthwhile. For what it's worth I have a very similar buffalo in my album.


  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SummerDays3104 said:

    @291fifth said:
    Pass. Weak date. A very common coin in mint state. Wait until a nice one slabbed by a major TPG comes along. That way you don't have guess about how it will grade.

    I mean, it may be a weak date and a common one, but I’m getting it as a trade, and I’m only 18, AND I’m only getting it for $40

    I own about twenty just like this,,, don't sweat it.

    My fav coin is the lowly 1938d and I own it in almost every grade.

    Send it in for grading and keep it as a momento and a useful comparison grading tool for future purchases.

    There is a Red Book that focuses on Buff nickels and talks all about strike by year, quality each mint produced, etc...

    BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It’s a nice looking coin, congrats! Try to ignore the grumps on this board, who have mostly forgotten the excitement of being a YN.

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @scubafuel said:
    It’s a nice looking coin, congrats! Try to ignore the grumps on this board, who have mostly forgotten the excitement of being a YN.

    I have not forgotten about the excitement of being a young numismatist, nor have I forgotten about all the expensive mistakes I made while being one.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It is a nice coin and I think you will enjoy owning it. Tom's post above has some very solid advice on the values for this date that may be helpful to you.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SummerDays3104 said:

    @ricko said:
    It appears that you could get fair value for your trade - though we have no idea of what you traded for it. Normally, I would recommend getting a slabbed coin. Will you submit it for grading? Cheers, RickO

    Well, it was a total of $180 worth of coins in a trade so it would be hard to tell you what I traded for it evenly, but I made sure I wasn’t getting ripped off doing so. I did my research and all of that.

    Would it even be worth grading though?

    I thought you had received the coin for the equivalent of $40? I imagine that this was part of a larger deal of coins and cash going back-and-forth and that you assign a $40 equivalent value to it in the trade. Is that correct? As for grading it at a TPG, do you want to invest the additional funds? Do you believe it would grade MS65? If it comes back as an MS63 then you are more-or-less at a break even point and might be underwater. That is up to you.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

    "Pictures don’t show anything about grading unfortunately"

    I agree that the above statement can be true, but that kind of makes your opening question to this thread ("What do you guys think the value is on it?) moot, doesn't it?

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SummerDays3104 said:

    @TomB said:
    "Pictures don’t show anything about grading unfortunately"

    I agree that the above statement can be true, but that kind of makes your opening question to this thread ("What do you guys think the value is on it?) moot, doesn't it?

    Well, yes, but I’m asking from experienced collectors, who know more than I about coins. I figured you guys would be able to give me a better price based on the pics than I could come up with. But instead, I get told that I made a bad decision and that I should pass on it. I didn’t ask that, I asked the value and I didn’t ask for any other opinion other than that. Which, I still have yet to have that question answered.

    The quality of the images you have supplied is not great, but I realize this is all you have at the moment. Therefore, the valuations that folks can realistically give to you will be limited in utility due to the images. I have already given you a window of approximate value based upon the images. If you want a more granular price then the images (which you do not have, I understand) should be better or else they are simply guesses on the part of everyone else.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SummerDays3104 said:

    @TomB said:

    @SummerDays3104 said:

    @TomB said:
    "Pictures don’t show anything about grading unfortunately"

    I agree that the above statement can be true, but that kind of makes your opening question to this thread ("What do you guys think the value is on it?) moot, doesn't it?

    Well, yes, but I’m asking from experienced collectors, who know more than I about coins. I figured you guys would be able to give me a better price based on the pics than I could come up with. But instead, I get told that I made a bad decision and that I should pass on it. I didn’t ask that, I asked the value and I didn’t ask for any other opinion other than that. Which, I still have yet to have that question answered.

    The quality of the images you have supplied is not great, but I realize this is all you have at the moment. Therefore, the valuations that folks can realistically give to you will be limited in utility due to the images. I have already given you a window of approximate value based upon the images. If you want a more granular price then the images (which you do not have, I understand) should be better or else they are simply guesses on the part of everyone else.

    Okay, so in other words, until I have better images there’s nothing to grade or price? Is that correct?

    @SummerDays3104 said:

    @TomB said:

    @SummerDays3104 said:

    @TomB said:
    "Pictures don’t show anything about grading unfortunately"

    I agree that the above statement can be true, but that kind of makes your opening question to this thread ("What do you guys think the value is on it?) moot, doesn't it?

    Well, yes, but I’m asking from experienced collectors, who know more than I about coins. I figured you guys would be able to give me a better price based on the pics than I could come up with. But instead, I get told that I made a bad decision and that I should pass on it. I didn’t ask that, I asked the value and I didn’t ask for any other opinion other than that. Which, I still have yet to have that question answered.

    The quality of the images you have supplied is not great, but I realize this is all you have at the moment. Therefore, the valuations that folks can realistically give to you will be limited in utility due to the images. I have already given you a window of approximate value based upon the images. If you want a more granular price then the images (which you do not have, I understand) should be better or else they are simply guesses on the part of everyone else.

    Okay, so in other words, until I have better images there’s nothing to grade or price? Is that correct?

    Yes and no. It's hard to be definitive from photos, even good ones. In the case of that particular coin, the price is fairly flat from AU through MS63. So, the short answer is that it is probably OK at $40 but not a steal.

    There is something going on in the hair. It may be a planchet defect. I don't see it going 64 or 65 which is the only way it would be worth grading.

    The people with the shorter answers are just trying to express that more concisely and may be coming off as brusque. And some people are rather insistent on only buying what they perceive a quality and forget there are budgeted collectors out there. 90% of what I sell, profitably, they would turn up the nose at.

    And you also sort of greased the wheels with the thread title which comes off as overselling a fairly common coin.

  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I suspect it could be a problem coin. The area just above the date has parallel lines going from 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock. They could be on the mylar of the 2x2 or on the coin. It almost looks like an attempt to remove the darker spot near the tips of the feathers.

    There also is a rim edge issue on the obverse near 3 o'clock - lamination?

    If you like it, that is all that matters.

  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm at a loss regarding the two respondees who ask/suggest to grade this coin. Where's the value proposition?

    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file