Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RIP Stewart Blay

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is with a heavy heart and great sadness that we announce Stewart Blay has passed away.

Stewart was extremely well-known in the numismatic community - traveling to 100s of coin shows while on his pursuit of the very finest Small Cents. The collections he built cannot be rivaled.

He liked to remind me often that he has known my wife (Raeleen) longer than I have.

Over the years, he has put a lot of trust in Raeleen and me - and I only wish he could see the results of his Lincoln set in January...hopefully he will be able to see from above.

To Stewart's family and friends, Raeleen and I offer our sincerest condolences.

• Ian
Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to hear of his passing.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I am shocked and saddened to hear this. Stewart had exquisite taste in copper and I truly respected his opinion and eye whenever we were discussing copper. My heart and prayers go out to his family.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my ... RIP Stewart

Condolences to your family and loved ones

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. Condolences to his friends and family.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know him personally, only through his magnificent cents. My condolences to his family and friends.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's terribly sad. Stewart stood alone among small cent collectors. Such success. So many great stories, many of them told right here.

I didn't know him. I met him just once, over drinks with Andy Skrabalak. I was in awe and could barely speak.

RIP, Stewart. You will be missed.
    Lance.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, sad to hear.

He must have been sick, because I never thought he would sell.

Such a shame that he can't be here to enjoy the prices that his beautiful red gems will realize.

May his soul rest in peace.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

I'm very sad to hear this news.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely sad and unexpected.

Condolences to his friends and family.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news indeed. I only knew of him through his amazing collection. My condolences to friends and family.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, condolences to his friends and family. :(

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this. May he rest in peace.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I first met Stewart likely in the late 1990s and never knew him well, but enough so that we could swap stories and chat about coins. My heartfelt condolences to his family. RIP, Stewart.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible news.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shocked and saddened, Rest in Peace, sending love and light to his family..

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

So very sorry to hear. A sad loss for his family and the numismatic community.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭

A sad day for the community. He was very astute when it came to small cents. Gave me some advice when I was collecting Canadian cents.

National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.I.P. You’ll be missed by many!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such sad news indeed.

Your very special red copper collection legacy will never be duplicated.

RIP Stewart.

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭

Deepest sympathies to his family,,,,,,,

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP.

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad to hear. Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Stewart.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

I seem to remember a 1919 cent he posted that might be the most amazing coin I've ever seen.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad news. Condolences to family and friends. RickO

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

With great sadness, R.I.P. Stewart. I met him only once, at a Baltimore show, but he was kind with his time and passionate about his collection. :'(

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad News Indeed, Condolences to His Family and Friends.....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't know him, but recognize the name. Condolences to the family and coin community.

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

This is very sad news. I knew Stewart fairly well and will always fondly remember having dinner with him and my wife at Babbo in NYC several years ago. His eye for mint state Indian Cents and Lincoln Cents remains unrivalled. My sincere condolences to his family and many friends in the Numismatic community.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2022 7:47AM

That was shocking and so very sad to read. As much as I enjoyed getting to see many of Stewart’s fantastic coins in hand, I appreciated his enthusiasm, persistence, knowledge, his stories about his coins, his incredibly sharp eye and the twinkle in his eye when he spoke. He was a character and we made a point of throwing out verbal jabs at each other and having fun debates, both on line and at shows.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

So very sad to hear this terrible news. I had no idea he was sick. When I saw he had consigned his incredible set of red coppers for auction, it did make me think that something was wrong.
    Stewart was very passionate about the hobby, and I miss the days when he was posting here.

Rest easy, brother.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sic transit gloria mundi.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really sad to hear. From his occasional posts here on the forum, he had a sharp wit. Truly one of the greats among US small cent collectors.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad news, indeed. I met Stewart when part of his collection was on display at a major show (I don't remember which show). He was very gracious and took time to show me some of his great Lincoln cents. I really enjoyed meeting him.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that is terrible news, I never had the opportunity to meet him but as an avid Lincoln cent collector myself his collection is the very pinnacle of the series. I guess this puts some context to the selling of his collection, condolences to this family and friends.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.I.P.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear. It reminds us that the coins are not "ours" they are just on loan and go to another owner someday.
    RIP.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad to hear
    R.I.P Steward

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very very sad to hear this news. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP Stewart.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shocking to hear of his passing. RIP and condolences to his family. I thought he liked fine last time i saw him a few months ago. He was the collector in America for small cents for many years now. It will be very difficult for anyone to match his numismatic feats.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Hopefully he will somehow receive the results of the sale of his red cents (if there is an afterlife).

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a shock to hear of Stewart's passing. We shared the passion for small cents and am very thankful for the knowledge he shared with me. May his copper always remain RD........

RIP Stewart.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. I've seen exhibits of his small cents and it will be a long time before someone accomplishes what he did. RIP.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

So tragic as a personal loss for so many of us and especially ironic that he will not be able to see and enjoy the final results from his amazing small cents collection currently on auction at Great Collections.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file