Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pretty sure I have another Henning nickel

OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cherrypicked it within the past year, just don't remember where or when.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Comments

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Wow very interesting. I had to google what a Henning Nickle was. Is there any collectors value to a real Henning Nickle since it was not an unauthorized and counterfeit coin?
    Thanks,
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2022 4:01PM

@milbroco said:
    Wow very interesting. I had to google what a Henning Nickle was. Is there any collectors value to a real Henning Nickle since it was not an unauthorized and counterfeit coin?
    Thanks,
    Bob

There is some value, just don't know how much.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. @JBK was correct. From Error-Ref.Com. You will see they list the nickels produced and no 45 Henning Nickels.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    No. @JBK was correct. From Error-Ref.Com. You will see they list the nickels produced and no 45 Henning Nickels.
    Jim

Can you spot the mistake in the first picture? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited November 25, 2022 5:06PM

I knew that some had the hole in the "R" and some did not, but did not know they ahad a die crack as shown. I vaguely remember a die crack in the dome but not rim to dome. Just my faulty memory.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

I believe at one time a couple of years ago, DCarr listed an uncirculated sample, but couldn't find the photo.
    Jim

• Options

Thank you Daniel. Do you still have this Nickel?
    Jim

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2022 5:38PM

@dcarr said:

@jesbroken said:
    I believe at one time a couple of years ago, DCarr listed an uncirculated sample, but couldn't find the photo.
    Jim

Here is it. This one does NOT have the looped "R". It shows what they looked like right off the press:

Come on Dan, be honest. You can tell us. Although what Henning did was illegal and not recommended, as an artist and engineer, you gotta admit and admire his skill level........right?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to piss anybody off BUT, If Henning nickels are counterfiet how are they able to sell and be collected on the open market?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a worn-out regular warnickel

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Not to piss anybody off BUT, If Henning nickels are counterfiet how are they able to sell and be collected on the open market?

have you read any of the laws regarding counterfeit numismatic items?

i'm certainly not pissed off that someone would ask but it has been discussed on this forum, with many links, probably a couple hundred times if not more. fwiw

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@JBK said:

@PerryHall said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Can you spot the mistake in the first picture? :D

It incorrectly says the die crack goes to "Jefferson's skull", but that is the dome on Monticello.

Also, the lopped R and die crack are only charactistics on some Henning reverses.

Someone screwed up!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have looked for one of these over the years, with no luck. Not a big focus on my part, but would be neat to find one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

It'll be interesting if in the future there are counterfeits of the (scarce and collectable) counterfeits.

:neutral:

peacockcoins

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

i'm certainly not pissed off that someone would ask but it has been discussed on this forum, with many links, probably a couple hundred times if not more. fwiw

I really don't have time to sit here all day reading every post that comes my way. Please forgive me............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

I really don't have time to sit here all day reading every post that comes my way. Please forgive me............

it was to let you know if you do some basic searches here, you will have a ton of reading material if you should so choose. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Thank you Daniel. Do you still have this Nickel?
    Jim

I do. I have a 1939 Henning as well, but no pictures of it handy.

I also have this 1946 Henning nickel with looped "R" (VERY weakly struck):

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@dcarr said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Here is it. This one does NOT have the looped "R". It shows what they looked like right off the press:

Come on Dan, be honest. You can tell us. Although what Henning did was illegal and not recommended, as an artist and engineer, you gotta admit and admire his skill level........right?

Yes, it would take some skill to do that. But there are far better quality transfer counterfeits that have been made by several different entities.

• Options

Any that good in the 30's or 40's. Would be nice to see a sample of the Ehlers brothers and Leo Gallie's counterfeit nickels made in NY in 1935. I heard an Illinois coin club had one, but was never able to contact anyone that could verify that.
    Jim

• Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

jesbroken - That reminds me. I should find that original article on the Monroe mint - I cut it out of the newspaper back in the 70's. I thought it was very interesting at the time when I was in Jr. High. I know it's here around someplace. Snowman

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2022 2:37AM

@Steven59 said:

You can sell them on eBay.
    https://ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=henning+nickel&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&_odkw=1909+vdb+penny&_osacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1
    The commonest (1944) date sells for about $150-$225. Any other date Henning sells for a lot more if you can find one.
    These were minted to appear circulated. F or VF may be the best grade you can find.
    Contemporary counterfeits that are intended for use in commerce are allowed. Counterfeits intended to fool collectors are not and can be confiscated.
    Maybe someone can explain the law better then me. I think that if the FBI decides to confiscate a counterfeit coin, there is no other penalty, other than the owner just having to give up the coin.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Any that good in the 30's or 40's. Would be nice to see a sample of the Ehlers brothers and Leo Gallie's counterfeit nickels made in NY in 1935. I heard an Illinois coin club had one, but was never able to contact anyone that could verify that.
    Jim

Do you know what the die markers are for this coin? I never heard of it.
    Thanks, Bob

• Options

Do you know what the die markers are for this coin? I never heard of it.
    Thanks, Bob

I do not as I have only read of 2 being in the hands of an Illinois coin club, but never could confirm it. The Secret Service agent who made the discovery said they were identical. I spoke with quite a few knowledgeable people in 2009 at the Baltimore show and never really got anywhere. It either didn't happen or it's being hidden because they were so good. I even spoke with a relative of Ehlers ATS some years back and he was vaguely aware of it.
    Jim

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had one - this one would be mine B) :

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2022 3:41PM

and a pic of Francis, because... why not?

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    If I had one - this one would be mine B) :

Why this one?

• Options

because it is :D

• Options

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    because it is :D

Okay.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

besides being heavier, they are also larger in diameter.
    the mint are 0.835 inches in diameter the Henning are 0.838 to 0.840 inches in diameter.

Is that large enough difference to be able to pick out if you had a roll on a flat surface?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file