Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Original 1884-CC GSA Box Unopened

Comments

  • Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Stryker62 said:
    Pretty Cool
    1884-CC $1 GSA Uncertified.... (Total: 5 coins) https://coins.ha.com/itm/gsa-dollars/1884-cc-1-gsa-uncertified-total-5-coins-/a/1351-4033.s

    I agree! :)

    Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Interesting box from the sales of 1980. Not part of the 1972 sales so the odds get better for a toner?
    bob :)

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Optimistic bidders!

    Vplite99
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

    what are the chances the winner bidder doesn't open it?

  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @steveben said:
    what are the chances the winner bidder doesn't open it?

    ???? But the odds are extremely high they would destroy value by doing so, since the premium is due to the unique, pristine nature of the virgin box. Based on where the auction is likely to end up, all in, there is almost no chance that 5 1884 GSAs will come anywhere close to it.

  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

    What a huge waste of money!! Probably a dog 62 coin. To each his own.

  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree, waste of money as per Manorcourman.

    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @NJCoin said:

    @steveben said:
    what are the chances the winner bidder doesn't open it?

    ???? But the odds are extremely high they would destroy value by doing so, since the premium is due to the unique, pristine nature of the virgin box. Based on where the auction is likely to end up, all in, there is almost no chance that 5 1884 GSAs will come anywhere close to it.

    @Manorcourtman said:
    What a huge waste of money!! Probably a dog 62 coin. To each his own.

    I bought 2 such sealed boxes at a Stacks auction last year. I had no trouble selling them, still sealed, at a similar price. People like such items. You don't have to want them to recognize that some people value them.

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    original items like this, in any collectable field, are VERY neat and i'm not sure i possess the predisposition to NOT open items like that, which is why we probably see so few of items like this.

    sure hope there aren't GI Joe cards in there. (anyone know what i mean?)

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:
    People like such items. You don't have to want them to recognize that some people value them.

    Yep. As much as people here make fun of the attention "unsearched" stuff on eBay attracts, just let something show up that they think is unsearched and see what happens... ;)

  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2022 6:41PM

    These sold at Stacks not that long ago for around $2500 buyers fee included. I bid around $1800 and just missed them.

  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I wouldn’t think an auction house would touch a “chance” or “mystery” item like this. If the buyer claimed the box was empty or had other dates inside, I think the auction house would be on the hook for a return. Credit card / PayPal would most likely side with the buyer.

    This could get messy quick

  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I remember when gsaguy sold many similar items here in the boards. I purchased one from him and still have it.

    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I bought a few unopened GSA (single coin) boxes from gsaguy years ago... I opened them all, just had to see them. They were/are very nice - I still have them. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1madman said:
    I wouldn’t think an auction house would touch a “chance” or “mystery” item like this. If the buyer claimed the box was empty or had other dates inside, I think the auction house would be on the hook for a return. Credit card / PayPal would most likely side with the buyer.

    This could get messy quick

    It's not such a mystery. While it's not impossible to forge such an item, it also wouldn't be easy.

  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This, to me, is like the 'unopened' sealed proof sets that were the rage back in the early to late '60's.

    They traded a lot and brought high premiums.

    That is, until someone opened one envelope, and found washers inside [and no coins].

    All other packages were quickly ripped open and no one would touch a 'sealed' package again.

    Even with these boxes, someone will find a way to open and reseal them.

    Punt.

    Frank

    BHNC #203

  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

    I bought a sealed single once. I finally opened it and the gsa was a dog with a dealer sticker on it with his code. The original box was perfect in every way. No visible signs of being tampered with. Buyer beware

  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I wish I bought more of those back in the day.

    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

    100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

    when i was a kid, a ice cream truck used to roll though our neighborhood from time to time. if i had some money and i could catch it, i always got the grab bag. it never had anything good in it, but each time, i was so enticed.

  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Only buy sealed when the shipping label is still across the flaps.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TONEDDOLLARS said:
    I bought a sealed single once. I finally opened it and the gsa was a dog with a dealer sticker on it with his code. The original box was perfect in every way. No visible signs of being tampered with. Buyer beware

    In the shipping box?

  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @TONEDDOLLARS said:
    I bought a sealed single once. I finally opened it and the gsa was a dog with a dealer sticker on it with his code. The original box was perfect in every way. No visible signs of being tampered with. Buyer beware

    In the shipping box?

    This ^^^^. Inside boxes were easy to steam open and reseal. Outside shipping boxes, like in this auction, not so much. I trust HA (or Stacks or GC) to know what they are doing. However, I wouldn't touch something like this on eBay.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @NJCoin said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @TONEDDOLLARS said:
    I bought a sealed single once. I finally opened it and the gsa was a dog with a dealer sticker on it with his code. The original box was perfect in every way. No visible signs of being tampered with. Buyer beware

    In the shipping box?

    This ^^^^. Inside boxes were easy to steam open and reseal. Outside shipping boxes, like in this auction, not so much. I trust HA (or Stacks or GC) to know what they are doing. However, I wouldn't touch something like this on eBay.

    Yes. That's why I asked. While in theory you could steam and reseal anything, it would be no small matter to do so with the outer box. The inner only has a single piece of tape.

  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2022 10:34PM

    I have a few of the unopened outer mailing boxes of 5 GSA silver dollar boxes plus outer mailing boxes of 2 GSA silver dollar boxes and many unopened mailing GSA boxes.
    I started buying them-in 1972. i ripped open my first box and realized that I would be better off not doing so.

    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

    How can they determine it's an 1884 CC? I thought these were random dates?

    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DollarAfterDollar said:
    How can they determine it's an 1884 CC? I thought these were random dates?

    it's marked on the label 1884

  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well, I've had less fun with $3k.

  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well, it sold for $4600 plus the juice ($5520 total), which sound incredible and the only way I can see this working out is if the bidder decides to hold on to it for another 10 years or so.
    And the label doesn't say 1884-CC....it just says 1884, which I find interesting.

    Tom

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TPRC said:
    And the label doesn't say 1884-CC....it just says 1884, which I find interesting.

    The only dollars that were sold by year were the CCs. The others were sold as "mixed uncirculated" or "mixed circulated".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file