Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Soft “S” to the right of S mint mark?

I just got this is some change from the grocery store earlier today, and I’m pretty sure some kid took it out of a collection and spent it not knowing what it was. Nonetheless, the bottom rim of the coin appears to have been doubled and due to that feature, I’ve noticed a soft “S” just to the right of the S mint mark on this piece. The soft “S” in question appears to be the same size and style to me, do you notice this as well? Obviously due to the circulation and PMD of the coin, that significantly reduces the value, however, are doubled die coins that are supposed to be proof quality more scarce or rare?

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse pictures?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2022 3:07AM

Looks like a slightly misaligned die which is why the rim looks like that. It is not "doubling". The reverse image would prove this if it is properly centered.

The shadow "S" is pareidolia. Those are just contact marks.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

Just some circulation marks by the S and slightly mis-aligned die as jmlanzaf stated, nothing out of the ordinary.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quarter worth a quarter.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth the quarter is a silver proof, and even though it’s circulated, the melt value alone is worth more than 25 cents..

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a Silver issue with 965,421 minted.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As indicated above, slightly misaligned die, wear/circulation/pmd by the mm... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pareidolia.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

The S mint mark was added to the master design and not the dies, so what you are seeing is a possible likeness, but not really there. The bottom of the rim is not doubled, it is a finned rim and a really common occurrence. A little bit of the metal flows up from between the slightly misaligned dies when it is struck and then over time it can get smashed down like what happened to your coin.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    DieHardWithVengenceDieHardWithVengence Posts: 70
    edited November 29, 2022 7:07PM

I didn’t realize the picture was that messy, it has been reposted below..

Now, if a normal silver state quarter, which were only released in proof sets, weigh 6.25 grams, why does this one weigh almost .2 grams more?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2022 6:24PM

What does your scale say, can’t read all the numbers? It looks like 5.43. That would put it more in line with a clad proof.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:
    What does your scale say, can’t read all the numbers? It looks like 5.43. That would put it more in line with a clad proof.

The OP has posted better photos. Why all of a sudden an overexposed washed-out photo? 🤔

• Options

@JBK said:

@robec said:

The OP has posted better photos. Why all of a sudden an overexposed washed-out photo? 🤔

He's better with a camera than photoshop? ;)

• Options

@DieHardWithVengence said:

Now, if a normal silver state quarter, which were only released in proof sets, weigh 6.25 grams, why does this one weigh almost .2 grams more?

Troll fingerprints are known to weigh 0.15 to 0.22 grams.

• Options

@robec ☝️☝️☝️

• Options

@JBK ☝️☝️☝️

• Options

@jmlanzaf ☝️☝️☝️

• Options

Ah...is that 0.227 the tare?

• Options

@jmlanzaf ☝️☝️☝️

3 thumbs up for you as well!

• Options
    DieHardWithVengenceDieHardWithVengence Posts: 70
    edited November 29, 2022 7:45PM

@jmlanzaf. No, the 0.227 is the conversion of grams to ounces. So 6.44 grams is equivalent to .227 ounces. Nifty feature of the scale to have..

Thank you for the thumbs up.. 👍
    ☝️= look up

• Options

@ZoidMeister. Did you make that? if not, where can I find one, I have a friend I’d definitely give that to as a stocking stuffer.. 😂😂

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

the obverse looks cleaned up for you already

I wonder if you have one of those rare platinum (plated) ones?

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DieHardWithVengence "Did you make that?"

What makes you think it's not a mint error? :D

• Options

@davewesen said:
    the obverse looks cleaned up for you already

I wonder if you have one of those rare platinum (plated) ones?

Most of the plated ones were over clad not silver.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf ☝️☝️☝️

3 thumbs up for you as well!

“Lacking laws of their own, the uneducated Romans ask the cultured Greeks to provide them with some laws. The Greeks suggest a debate using sign language to test the Romans’ intelligence. The Romans call on a ruffian whom they dress in expensive clothes, the Greek representative is an elegant doctor. First the Greek lifts up one finger, the Roman responds by raising three fingers. The doctor then shows the palm of his hand, the ruffian shakes a fist. Upon which the Greek declares that the Romans deserve the laws.

Asked to explain, the doctor interprets the “conversation”: when he lifted one finger, it was to show that there was but one God, the Roman had responded with the sign of the Trinity, the open palm meant that everything obeyed God’s will, the Roman’s clenched fist showed that God held the world in his hand. The Roman, however, had quite a different understanding of the signs: the single finger was a threat to poke out his eye, his three-finger reply was to poke out both eyes and break the doctor’s teeth with his thumb; the open palm was a threatened slap, the clenched fist promised a thorough beating.

Clearly, both Greek and Roman “read” each other’s signs “incorrectly”; each proves to be wrong; each is limited to understanding the other according to his cultural inclination or personal experience; the uncouth Roman actually gets what he wants –the laws–, the cultured Greek loses out…”

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2022 2:03PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:

I'm glad SOMEONE gets my humor. I can be a bit too sophisticated / cryptic in the funny department . . . .

As far as pareidolia goes . . . .

Pretty much explains it all. . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

I'm glad SOMEONE gets my humor. I can be a bit too sophisticated / cryptic in the funny department . . . .

As far as pareidolia goes . . . .

Doubled Guy?

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you may have to lay off on these “error” posts. Still a cool find!

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file