Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Scammer alert - @davebe

Almost fell for this until I zoomed in on his photo. Please be careful out there. Is there a better way to report this type of activity?

Tagged:

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah he wrote me too. Loser

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

He offered me this:

davebe
    November 16, 2022 11:41PM

i have G.B. 1958 1/2d Proof for sale in good condition

:o

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 354 ✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 3:22PM

Ummm... perhaps the bigger problem is that the PCGS cert info DOES NOT match the ACTUAL coin in holder as shown in the Stack's 2020 NYINC sale!!

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@realeswatcher said:
    Ummm... perhaps the bigger problem is that the PCGS cert info DOES NOT match the ACTUAL coin in holder as shown in the Stack's 2020 NYINC sale!!

I'm not certain what you are writing, but the coin as shown in the PCGS cert verification page is the same one that SB sold at auction. The lighting is different, but it is the same piece.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

However, the PCGS cert verification page notes the coin as being "Genuine-XF Details (98 Damage)" while the holder has it listed as "AU55". So, somewhere along the process, PCGS did not put the correct grade/designation on the coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Yes, the coin pictured on the cert lookup page IS the coin in the holder. AU55 has to be the actual grade - a few scratches, but practically UNC (55 probably being a bit of a "net grade" due to said scratches) - no chance that was called only XF detail.

Looks like he indeed photoshopped in the picture from the Stack's auction... just kind of amusing that the scammer here unwittingly shed light on a goof-up.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, for sure he is scammer. someone should report him.

• horseyridehorseyride Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

Why bother. He emails me about selling me coins under different names about once a month. At least this time he pretended to have the coins himself instead of asking me to email his friend

• Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@MattTheRiley said:
    Almost fell for this until I zoomed in on his photo. Please be careful out there. Is there a better way to report this type of activity?

Just bumping this thread. Looks like I just got scammed by @davebe also! I was looking for the book: Numismatic Photography, 2nd Edition by Mark Goodman, and he told me that he had a copy. So, being a trusting guy (I know, I'm an idiot!), I paid via PayPal to: esthernyambura368@yahoo.com. This was over a month ago, and no book.

Dispute reported to PayPal - we'll see what comes of this.

@davebe is a scammer. Also, anyone with the email esthernyambura368@yahoo.com should be included.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

They probably use a different e-mail address for each scam.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)