Home Sports Talk

Buffalo - Cleveland game moved to Detroit

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 17, 2022 2:18PM in Sports Talk

Due to the forcast of 4-6 feet of lake effect snow during the weekend -

"The NFL is moving Sunday’s Browns-Bills game out of Buffalo due to snow and the game will now be played at Ford Field in Detroit,"

The Bills will now play two games in Detroit in five days.

• Sunday: vs. the Browns
  • Thursday: vs. the Lions

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2022 2:57PM

My buddy bet the Under on this

He is NOT happy

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

He is NOT happy

he had to know the possibility this would be moved.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The NFL is moving Sunday’s Browns-Bills game out of Buffalo due to snow and the game will now be played at Ford Field in Detroit,"
    Awful awful awfful... :(

@Alfonz24 said:

@perkdog said:

He is NOT happy

he had to know the possibility this would be moved.

IDK I wasn't aware that they move NFL games because of snow all that often lol

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2022 3:44PM

Could someone here explain to me what "Lake effect snow is?"..... Many years ago, at a Lansing Lug Nuts game, I asked a local lady what it was.......Couldn't make Heads or Tails about what she said....The pregame music was too loud....Way too loud...

The game wasn't any good either.... The Burlington Bees against the Lansing Lug Nuts.....Good after game get together though....It was worth the trip....

Oh, Baby!.....Was It Ever!....

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

He is NOT happy

Neither are the Browns - The Cleveland sports news media were actually giving the Browns the advantage with their running game being a predominant factor in a bad weather - Now the scenerio looks like Allen will be able to light up the Browns pass defense (What pass defense?).........

edited November 17, 2022 3:53PM

@Hydrant said:
    Could someone here explain to me what "Lake effect snow is?"..... Many years ago, at a Lansing Lug Nuts game, I asked a local lady what it was.......Couldn't make Heads or Tails about what she said....The pregame music was too loud....Way too loud...

Lake-effect snow occurs when arctic air races across the relatively milder waters of the Great Lakes every fall. These snowfalls can be intense, but are often localized.

So it is very cold air going over warmer water, picking up the moisture from the warmer water.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
    edited November 17, 2022 3:53PM

delete double post

edited November 17, 2022 3:58PM

@Hydrant said:
    Could someone here explain to me what "Lake effect snow is?".....

Typicall cold air blowing over the lakes pick up moisture from the warmer waters and then dumps it on the nearest land turning the moister to snow because of the colder air. If the wind driven snowbands stay in the same location it just keeps snowing and snowing untill the wind direction changes and the snow bands set up elsewhere. It's a crazy thing - sometimes it can keep snowing for days at a few inches + an hour

@Alfonz24 said:
    >

So it is very cold air going over warmer water, picking up the moisture from the warmer water.

Sorry to have sniped your description ............nice map visual!

Thanks guys. I figured it had something to do with wet snow....You see, I don't know much about snow....or ice, or water for that matter........
    Home Sweet Home

@Hydrant said:
    Thanks guys. I figured it had something to do with wet snow....You see, I don't know much about snow....or ice, or water for that matter........
    Home Sweet Home

Seeing by that picture I'd figure you'de have lots of ice on hand - but in the freezer of course!

edited November 17, 2022 4:44PM

@Steven59 said:

Home Sweet Home

Seeing by that picture I'd figure you'de have lots of ice on hand - but in the freezer of course!

You got that right Stevarino....Last Sunday morning before leaving for the Rams game, The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ went to the freezer for ice.....Gotta' keep her Corona Extra cold for the tailgate party....Well, I left the lever up on the freezer ice maker!....No Ice!!! She flipped out!!!.......GO GET SOME ICE!!!!......20 frickin' mile trip up the hill and back for a bag of ICE!!!!....OH,Well......It was a good thing....it's mandatory to get snockered before watching the Rams!......It Helps To Ease The Pain....

edited November 17, 2022 4:36PM

@Hydrant said:
    Could someone here explain to me what "Lake effect snow is?".....

hey Hydrant,
    me being from the south side of Chicago and walking distance to Lake Michiagan...
    Um lake effect snow can go in many directions all at the same time, so other words take cover and hide... B)
    forgot to add yesterday's lake effect here in NWI...

edited November 17, 2022 5:02PM

I like the snow....I can only remember it snowing here three times in my life.....and then just an inch or two.....I once told a friend from Minnesota that I would like to spend the Winter in Minnesota so I could see the snow......He told me I was crazy!.....But I already knew that...... We get snow here....but only on the Mountains..... It's nice to look at

PARADISE.....

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said: Could someone here explain to me what "Lake effect snow is?"

I live about 150 miles from Buffalo along the shoreline of Lake Erie, maybe 3-4 miles inland. With "lake effect snow" what happens is the wind comes across the body of water(warm) and picks up moisture which is then dropped perhaps as far inland(colder) as 10-15 miles. It happens all winter, primarily earlier but when Lake Erie doesn't freeze it happens all the time.

I believe there are 4-5 places in the World where lake effect snow happens and wind conditions need to be just right.

@Maywood said:
    BTW, I think this really sucks, moving a game out of the elements and into a domed stadium.

Because of snow and just crap weather......
    April 9th, 2007 (?)
    CLEVELAND -- It's safe to say that the Cleveland Indians have never played their home opener in Milwaukee. Until Tuesday.

But instead of opening a three-game series against the Los Angeles Angels tonight at Jacobs Field, the Tribe will engage them in Milwaukee at Miller Park, which is protected from the elements by a retractable roof.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lived in the UP in a couple spots, the Soo and Marquette for a few college years...lake Superior effect snow/storms is no joke. Figure a tropical storm dumping rain but it's snow...for every inch of rain you might get it's like 4-5+ inches of snow if not more ( I forget the ratio). The northern lakes that go E/W are more intense than MI and Huron with the effect.

Would have enjoyed watching them playing in it.

Just can never get a straight answer from these weather people - they would make great politicians -

"How much snow does it take to equal an inch of rain? This varies depending on the type of snow, but to make 1 inch of water (rain), you need 10 inches of average snow, 4 to 5 inches of wet snow, or 15 inches of powdery snow."

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has the NFL ever moved a game location because of a heavy snowfall forecast before? I agree with what a poster above me (Maywood) saying that this sucks. Football and the elements go together like no other sport.

@GroceryRackPack said:

This is not the NFL from my childhood anymore.

edited November 17, 2022 6:07PM

@LandrysFedora said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

This is not the NFL from my childhood anymore.

Yep...I'm totally with ya on that part... :)

NFL = Not Fair Logistics... B)

Well c'mon - if the NFL doesn't allow the QB to be touched anymore they sure as Hell ain't gonna let grown men play in the snow!!!!!!!!

So did Baseball players all of a sudden become tougher than footbll players? B)

I'm thinking Bills fans aren't very thrilled by this executive decision of the NFL.

@LandrysFedora said:
    I'm thinking Bills fans aren't very thrilled by this executive decision of the NFL.

They might be when upon opening the garage door on Sunday morning and ther is 6 feet of snow in the driveway.

I would love to tail-gate out in Buffalo for a Sunday…actually Pittsburgh for a night game but that’s another story…
    Now just think of some of the tail-gaters out there that may have had an abundant of food catered and their party is now canceled…

@GroceryRackPack said:
    I would love to tail-gate out in Buffalo for a Sunday…actually Pittsburgh for a night game but that’s another story…
    Now just think of some of the tail-gaters out there that may have had an abundant of food catered and their party is now canceled…

A definite trickle down effect in play in Buffalo now.

@Steven59 said:
    So did Baseball players all of a sudden become tougher than footbll players? B)

Looks that way.

@Steven59 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

They might be when upon opening the garage door on Sunday morning and ther is 6 feet of snow in the driveway.

That's Crazy Snow there... :D

@GroceryRackPack said:

That's Crazy Snow there... :D

"Were going to need a bigger Snow Thrower! :D

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2022 6:40PM

I remember the snow bowl from 2017 vs the Colts, that was crazy. The snow games are fun, but I will admit, you get better football in good weather.

edited November 17, 2022 6:49PM

Um dumb questions:
    1st what time & network will the Bills/Lions - Browns/Lions be on?
    2nd will the Bills and or Browns be wearing any blue & silver on their uni’s?
    3rd and what if someone from Buffalo or Cleveland doesn’t like Detroit style pizza?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see Aaron Rodgers in a snow bowl game, standing on the sideline frozen stiff, with a little carrot stick nose.

edited November 17, 2022 6:53PM

@GroceryRackPack said:
    Um dumb questions:
    3rd and what if someone from Buffalo or Cleveland doesn’t like Detroit style pizza?

3 could present some serious issues. lol

edited November 17, 2022 6:55PM

@LandrysFedora said:

@GroceryRackPack said:
    Um dumb questions:

3 could present some serious issues. lol

didn't mean it to be all large and bold

What would Ralph Wilson say about playing in Motown this weekend ???

Or moved this game

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if the fans are refunded. Or maybe if they can get to Det. their tickets are good. May be tough to get out of Buffalo to drive or fly. I assume Buff. is still the home team.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@Brick said:
    What a bunch of crap. We go from an easy Browns win to a probable loss. What if they moved the Ice Bowl from Green Bay to Dallas? Iconic game would not have happened.

I'm sure there will be other "Snow Bowls".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@Steven59 said:

@perkdog said:

He is NOT happy

Neither are the Browns - The Cleveland sports news media were actually giving the Browns the advantage with their running game being a predominant factor in a bad weather - Now the scenerio looks like Allen will be able to light up the Browns pass defense (What pass defense?).........

Looks like the Bills dodged that bullet.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

That person is clearly lacking in taste.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

It makes sense to move the game. Logistically, just getting all the necessary folks into the building would be nearly impossible.

@perkdog said:

He is NOT happy

Rest assured the lines man would of adjusted the line to incorporate the snow effect. Not much gets by the line makers.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@perkdog said:

He is NOT happy

Rest assured the lines man would of adjusted the line to incorporate the snow effect. Not much gets by the line makers.

He put it in as soon as he read the weather report at 41, now it's at 48 I believe

@Steven59, it goes without saying that MLB is a little different than the NFL when it comes to snow, but you already know that. BTW, I remember that game. :p

@Tabe said: It makes sense to move the game. Logistically, just getting all the necessary folks into the building would be nearly impossible.

If you live anywhere that it snows, you make adjustments. If you live where there's lake-effect snow, you know what to expect and you adjust. Probably the only real "logistical problem" would be where to put the snow, how to clear the stands and playing field. But it's not like the workers would be showing up a few hours before game time to do the work, with snow like what is expected the plow guys are out 24/7 and that's how it'd be at the stadium --- all hands on deck probably starting this morning. One thing that helps is the artificial turf in Buffalo, it's much easier to clear.

Remember, the projected 4-6 feet won't fall all at once, it will be a steady snowfall that lasts a couple days and may not even take place if the winds shift direction. Also, with lake-effect snow one of things that determines where the snow comes down is "winds aloft" in the upper atmosphere. Sometimes it drops right along the shoreline and ends like a straight line 5-10 miles inland. Other times it drops 5-10 miles inland with nothing at the shoreline.

It's possible that Buffalo could get hammered but Orchard Park could just get a dusting. It's possible it could happen the other way around. Meteorology and weather forecasting may be a science but when it comes to "location" it's more of an Art Form. Suffice as to say that forecasting in Phoenix, Arizona isn't the same or as easy as forecasting in Cleveland or Buffalo.