Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Finding a registry set coin owner?

Possible?

I found a coin through some searching with certification number on PCGS that I might be interested in. It says ….
“This cert is currently in a user's private Set Registry Inventory.”

Is there a way to locate the coin in the set, identify the owner and then make contact? Assuming there would be controls in place for this?

JM

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this dilemma recently and wrote a thread about the experience. It is below and might help you-

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1082873/a-multiyear-quest-to-find-a-specific-coin-achieved-thanks-to-the-generosity-of-a-board-member

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I had this dilemma recently and wrote a thread about the experience. It is below and might help you-

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1082873/a-multiyear-quest-to-find-a-specific-coin-achieved-thanks-to-the-generosity-of-a-board-member

Agree great story. Unfortunately for me your method won’t work in my situation because I haven’t sold any coins.

Any other ideas?

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2022 11:16AM

Post a thread on the US Coin Forum that requests the collector who has the subject coin in his/her inventory and/or Registry Set send you a PM.

In the thread say that you are interested in acquiring the coin. Also include in the thread any Trueview photo of the coin and/or the Cert.#.

You can also send PMs about your intetest in the coin to the forumites that have Registry Sets that would include examples of the coin you are intetested in.

Both of the above suggestions are shots in the dark, but in nevertheless into a target rich environment.

Good luck.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if an email request to the PCGS registry set people could help you?

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all

• Options

johnny010-
    Best of luck on your quest!

But I would NOT waste my time contacting the PCGS Set Registry people for anything - they can't find their way out of a paper bag with both hands, a flashlight, and a map.
    I can tell you horror stories about reaching out to the "Registry Set people..."
    I had an interaction regarding the placement of a Proof coin in a Circulation Strike Set - and I explained in painstaking detail why this was NOT a coin that fit the Set criteria. The coin was removed by PCGS only for it to pop up and reappear in the set a few days later. So PCGS obviously did not close that door / plug that hole (whatever you want to call it). This happened 3 times. I called the Registry Set owner out on his set, called PCGS out on it, and they FINALLY created a new "mixed strike" set with both Proof and Circ strike coins allowed for this other Registry Set owner.
    It was a soup sandwich.
    The fact that the Registry Set Director (in my opinion, based on the email exchanges) did not seem to grasp the difference in a Proof strike coin and a Circulation Strike coin let me know there are some serious issues at PCGS.
    There is no incentive to compete or to track down (much less pay to grade) coins to create or assemble Registry Sets (cheap pot metal lapel pin award anyone?). PCGS has gone WAY downhill and they have sucked the joy out of competing in the Registry Sets. Now they just plain suck.