Home Precious Metals
Options

Trading Halves for Dollars

I've started to think that Dollars are easier to store than Halves. Using Halves at 0.36169 and Dollars at 0.77344 ounces of silver, what do people think is a fair trade if I said I had X number of Halves and I'd like Y number of Dollars (assuming that condition on both sides of the transaction are decent - no culls, no holed coins, etc)? Closest I can come is 30 Halves @ 10.85 oz for 14 Dollars @ 10.83 oz. Or there is also 47 Halves @ 17.00 oz for 22 Dollars @ 17.02. oz. Does this seem reasonable? Does this even occur? I appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reasonable as far as weight is concerned however dollars carry a much higher premium compared to halves. I don't think you will have much luck finding someone willing to give you equal weight in dollars for your halves. Last time I checked Morgans were in the mid $30s for common date low grade. Halves in BU condition were going for around 18-20x.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the advice - makes sense. I suppose Dimes/Quarters for Halves would be a more fair swap?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:
    Thank you for the advice - makes sense. I suppose Dimes/Quarters for Halves would be a more fair swap?

again, as @hvellente said
    "It works geat when swapping similar items but fails when swapping dissimilar items (apples and oranges)."
    and as @blitzdude said, you have to consider the relative premiums, and that is a more complex calculation.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not quite sure why your really want to swap? If it is storage is the issue... dimes, quarters, and dollars will still take up space. If you go with dollars, perhaps you will save a 'little' space, since there is typically more premium on them now, so you will get less silver in return.

It depends on your motive. If you just plain like dollars, then sure; perhaps make a trade. But if you are just 'stacking' silver.... why not just keep the halves?

----- kj
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Swapping halves for dollars, you will likely get less than one for two, due to the premiums as mentioned above. Just sell the halves and buy dollars if that is how you want to go. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your concerned about space, just buy a bigger safe or what ever you use to store your coins. you could also just trade to Paper currency and save a bunch of room. :D

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with that swap is the numismatic angle. So many varying values with dollars.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Typically half dollars have less wear than dimes/quarters, so silver content based on face value will be slightly more with halves.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.