Home Sports Talk
Options

The 1972 Dolphins celebrate again

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

Down go the Eagles, you know what that means, party time!

Comments

• Options

The Dolphins are having themselves a pretty good season this year as well.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great memories of getting gas with dad, filling up the car and book, and watching the Dolphins.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

14 Games = *

It is what it is

• Options

@perkdog said:
    14 Games = *

It is what it is

I don’t know this answer.

The Dolphins were 32-2 with 2 Super Bowl rings in 2 consecutive seasons.

Can any other teams claim better ?

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Great memories of getting gas with dad, filling up the car and book, and watching the Dolphins.

hey Goldenage,
    Pretty cool on your Sunoco's... B)

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:
    14 Games = *

It is what it is

The answer is they crapped on the Pats losing their undefeated Season even though they played less games

14 game season compared to 16 game season

Yes it's a big difference

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:
    14 Games = *

It is what it is

The answer is they crapped on the Pats losing their undefeated Season even though they played less games

I’m unaware of this.

How did the 72s crap on the Pats ?

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:
    14 Games = *

It is what it is

I’m unaware of this.

How did the 72s crap on the Pats ?

During 2007 and after they old Dolphins players were talking so much smack about the Patriots, I'm shocked you never heard if that

It's totally fine with me honestly, that's what rivalries do, I'm just pointing out that the Fins played 2 less games

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's sort of ironic that the team to beat the Patriots and end their regular season winning streak was the.....................Miami Dolphins. Funny how things like that happen, an "of all the gin joints in all the world......................." sort of coincidence.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    It's sort of ironic that the team to beat the Patriots and end their regular season winning streak was the.....................Miami Dolphins. Funny how things like that happen, an "of all the gin joints in all the world......................." sort of coincidence.

Which game are you referring to?

• Options

Well, to be honest, the 07' Patriots got screwed in that Super Bowl, on the helmet catch play there was a blatant hold that helped Eli Manning escape certain doom, but the refs somehow missed it, I'll never understand how you could miss something like that, right there in the center of the universe, but that's football. The guy that committed the hold later admitted it, he basically choked the defender. He said something to the effect that he knew Eli Manning was screwed if he didn't do something to prevent the defender from getting to Eli, so he decided to wrap his arm around the guy's neck and hope that the refs didn't see it.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2022 1:27PM

Here it is, you can see Giants center Shaun O Hara grabbing the guys neck, which helped Eli to escape.

• Options

It just goes to show you how ridiculous the refs can be, take last night for instance, a facemask non-call, and the referee was standing there looking right at it.

• Options

not to overturn this topic or anything like that… :)
    Who is showing on the cover?
    Well we all know that’s Larry
    Giants - I’m leaning towards Ron Johnson
    Cowboys - maybe Bob Hayes or Duane Thomas?
    Cardinals - I’m hoping I could get some help on that one…

• Options

• Options

@Goldenage said:

Yo Goldenage,
    Cool...thanks dude... B)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2022 4:08AM

The Dolphins had an easy regular season schedule in 1972. Their own division was very weak with only the Jets at .500 (7-7). The rest had losing records. Eight of their 14 games were played against those opponents. Their other six games were against the Houston Oilers (1-13), Kansas City Chiefs (8-6), Vikings (7-7), Chargers (4-9-1), St. Louis Cardinals (4-9-1) and New York Giants (8-6). In other words, the Dolphins didn't play any of the top teams in the regular season. They only played five games against teams that had a .500 or better record. The best of those teams were 8-6)

The 2007 Patriots had a much harder schedule and two extra games to play.

What the Dolphins did was great, but calling them the greatest team of all time is debatable.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

It's all semantics. In 07 I knew were in trouble when we barely beat the Giants wk 16. I remember really wanting us to lose that game, as I felt it was the only way we would win it all.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2022 5:31PM

@thisistheshow said:
    It's all semantics. In 07 I knew were in trouble when we barely beat the Giants wk 16. I remember really wanting us to lose that game, as I felt it was the only way we would win it all.

100% agreed

I felt the same about the Baltimore as well

• Options

In this world (the only one there is) you can't literally have everything. In terms of sports/fandom glory, us Pats fans have almost everything. From my perspective we do have everything...everything I'll ever want or need. But to literally have everything would be to also have that undefeated season. Only that Dolphins team and their fans have that. If we had won that last game that year, I'm sure I would be heavily invested in debating which team was better. But as we know, all a team ca do is play the team in front of them, plus I have a sneaking suspicion that if I was having that debate I wouldn't be talking about the seven time SB winning Patriots, but rather more likely the four or five time winning Patriots. So like I said, it's semantics. Is an undefeated season the perfect season?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

100% agreed

I felt the same about the Valtrex game as well

At the risk of sounding slightly obtuse, may I ask which game you are referring to? A quick google search gave me something about herpes medication.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Different times - different rules. I doubt any team nowadays goes undefeated - 14 game schedule or 17

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

100% agreed

At the risk of sounding slightly obtuse, may I ask which game you are referring to? A quick google search gave me something about herpes medication.

WTH my cellphone does the Stupidest spell check uhhk

The Baltimore Ravens game!

They were like 12-0 at that point I think

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

100% agreed

They were like 12-0 at that point

I truly think think that lifelong partnerships could end and wars could start based on spell check mishaps.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

100% agreed

They were like 12-0 at that point

I truly think think that lifelong partnerships could end and wars could start based on spell check mishaps.

OK that's 2 posts that I wanted to agree with and lol

Your 100% true and your reference made me chuckle!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2022 5:53PM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

100% agreed

funniest thing i've read all day week month year

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

100% agreed

funniest thing i've read all day week month year

I really did Google it. Here's a screenshot, and you know it's me because of the purple in the upper right.

• Options
  • Options

@Steven59 said:
    Different times - different rules. I doubt any team nowadays goes undefeated - 14 game schedule or 17

I also believe that any team getting close will try to avoid the Pats pitfalls. It's about the SB, not the record.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2022 6:29PM

@thisistheshow

i know you did, and therein lies the reason why my side is still hurting from laughter. don't get me wrong, perk accidentally typing that is hysterical unto itself. but the mere fact that you were unaware and actually googled it is pure comedic gold and will leave me cackling like a hyena for decades to come.

i can see you now. "dammit, why can't i find the box score to the Valtrex game."

ok i have to stop or i'm going to rinse my keyboard with whatever is in my mouth

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @thisistheshow

i know you did, and therein lies the reason why my side is still hurting from laughter. don't get me wrong, perk accidentally typing that is hysterical unto itself. but the mere fact that you were unaware and actually googled it is pure comedic gold and will leave me cackling like a hyena for decades to come.

full disclosure... :( I really did google it, but had to do it again just to get the screenshot. And I obviously "spiced" that one up a little. In all truthfulness, what I did was first google "Valtrex". The I googled "valtrex game". Then, for just a second or two, I thought maybe @perkdog meant Marquez Valdes-Scantling. But he wasn't in the league back then. I wasted a few ATPs thinking about Vontez Burfict...then I wrote what I wrote. knowing that there is no shame in asking...

• Options

If someone is googling "ATPs" and aren't sure what I meant, just know that it wasn't a typo... PM me if necessary

• Options

this thread is one of those fun games where the first person starts it off by sharing a secret to the person sitting next to him. in this case it's, "hey man, the secret is that the 1972 Dolphins are celebrating again." then it goes around the horn and finally gets to the final person who then says aloud, "so, was the secret that Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Vontez Burfict have herpes?"

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    this thread is one of those fun games where the first person starts it off by sharing a secret to the person sitting next to him. in this case it's, "hey man, the secret is that the 1972 Dolphins are celebrating again." then it goes around the horn and finally gets to the final person who then says aloud, "so, was the secret that Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Vontez Burfict have herpes?"

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂