Home Sports Talk
Options

Justin Fields...

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

...is coming of age right before my very eyes. i can't believe I'm gonna say this, but as a Bears lifer i now firmly believe that he's the signal-caller i've been waiting eons for.

there's no reason for any of you to keep up with the Bears unless you're wagering on or against them, or participating in the season-long picks contest, or you have a weird predilection for keeping up with teams that suck, so i'm here to tell you that JF has been balling out lately. in the past couple of weeks he has rushed for 325 yards and 3 touchdowns all by his lonesome. and via the air he has tossed 5 TDs with only one pick. thru 10 weeks of the season he is just outside the top 10 in QBR @ #11. that is maturation, that is progress. AND he has yesterday's garbage to work with in terms of surrounding talent. once he has some real weapons at his disposal he's gonna be hell for opposing defenses. i'm perfectly fine with losing every game 31-30 from here on out (like yesterday) so we can climb the draft hierarchy and nab him a stud wideout.

sorry, had to get that off my chest. it was very cathartic. the guy is morphing into an absolute beast and i couldn't be more excited about it. now i'm gonna go stare at that dude Jill Burrow some more.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    ...is coming of age right before my very eyes. i can't believe I'm gonna say this, but as a Bears lifer i now firmly believe that he's the signal-caller i've been waiting eons for.

there's no reason for any of you to keep up with the Bears unless you're wagering on or against them, or participating in the season-long picks contest, or you have a weird predilection for keeping up with teams that suck, so i'm here to tell you that JF has been balling out lately. in the past couple of weeks he has rushed for 325 yards and 3 touchdowns all by his lonesome. and via the air he has tossed 5 TDs with only one pick. thru 10 weeks of the season he is just outside the top 10 in QBR @ #11. that is maturation, that is progress. AND he has yesterday's garbage to work with in terms of surrounding talent. once he has some real weapons at his disposal he's gonna be hell for opposing defenses. i'm perfectly fine with losing every game 31-30 from here on out (like yesterday) so we can climb the draft hierarchy and nab him a stud wideout.

sorry, had to get that off my chest. it was very cathartic. the guy is morphing into an absolute beast and i couldn't be more excited about it. now i'm gonna go stare at that dude Jill Burrow some more.

• Options

I'm happy if you're happy.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fields has gotten better and better, I'd be pretty happy with him

Stinks they got rid of Roquan Smith though, the D has some major issues

• Options
    edited November 14, 2022 4:22PM

@thisistheshow said:

I'm happy if you're happy.

i am. he's electric. and he's making progress in areas in which he's not.

if 230 turning on the jets doesn't get a fan base excited, it's time for a pulse check. granted his 4.4 ran into 4.3 once he got into the open field on this one :D, but he still zagged his way to the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyD6J1rCCK8

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trick to drafting and developing a mobile QB in this era is to wait until you know that you have New England early on your schedule, nothing builds your confidence up quicker than watching our defense chase you around on 3rd & 18 while you gain 20 numerous times throughout the game. >:)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

And to think, my Panthers had a chance to draft Justin Fields, but we decided that we wanted Sam Darnold to be our quarterback instead. I'm perfectly fine with it though, no bitter feelings whatsoever, couldn't be happier right now.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    The trick to drafting and developing a mobile QB in this era is to wait until you know that you have New England early on your schedule, nothing builds your confidence up quicker than watching our defense chase you around on 3rd & 18 while you gain 20 numerous times throughout the game. >:)

He chopped and diced our defense into oblivion. It was like prime Mike Vick.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve noticed the improvement in his play. Hope it continues galaxy 👱‍♀️

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

He chopped and diced our defense into oblivion. It was like prime Deshaun Watson Lamar Jackson Josh Allen Patrick Mahomes Mike Vick,

You don't even have to be considered a mobile QB, just start running on 3rd & long and you'll always get it.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a big fan and wanted him as the UGA qb when he was there. He's got skills, believe for sure.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

He might end up being the best pick from that 2020 class where five QB's went early, he just needs teammates.

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Bears fan here. While his 2nd TD run was impressive, I thought that the first one when he broke a tackle for a sack and trucked the safety at the goal line was more impressive.

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

He reminds me of RGIII when he came into the league and took it by storm. Hopefully, with a better result longer term but I'm always leery of QBs who rely on their legs as a focal point to their game.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Culpepper was a stud too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Curious minds want to know what you, @galaxy27, think your team should do with the first pick in the 2023 NFL draft...

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Curious minds want to know what you, @galaxy27, think your team should do with the first pick in the 2023 NFL draft...

trade the pick. some crappy team will be desperate enough to pay a king's ransom for it, and we have more holes than a slice of swiss cheese.

Fields has nothing to work with, so in my pretend-GM perfect world i would be a proponent of sliding down a few spots, nabbing a guy like Quentin Johnston (who i really like and is playing in tonight's game), then picking again later in the 1st round

that would make me quite happy

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@thisistheshow said:

trade the pick. some crappy team will be desperate enough to pay a king's ransom for it, and we have more holes than a slice of swiss cheese.

Fields has nothing to work with, so in my pretend-GM perfect world i would be a proponent of sliding down a few spots, nabbing a guy like Quentin Johnston (who i really like and is playing in tonight's game), then picking again later in the 1st round

that would make me quite happy

Look at it this way...they have a young, dual-threat QB that they took with the eleventh pick two years ago (said QB has the Galaxico personal endorsement, the GPE)...now they have the first pick in this year's draft...There is no way the Bears screw this up, right?

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Fields is about the 8th best running back in the league. Very fast and elusive. There's one major problem.....he's a QB. It's not easy to find Brady and Manning. Sometimes a guy like Fields is your QB. Everyone thinks a QB is what you need to win it all. You generally need a great QB to be a contender; but a complete team to win it all. Look at SF. They seemingly are able to put in any one of a few guys at QB who are basically average and never really skip a beat. They've developed their lines and just physically punishing. In a bar room brawl I'm taking the 49ers. They're not just winning some games....they're beating up the opponent.

• Options

anything is possible showstopper. there are no guarantees in life outside of death, taxes, quarterback sneaks, and highly dubious fire hydrant anecdotes.

i'd just like to think i have a pretty good feel for my team. i mean, i did say this back in June after all -- around the same time that Nick Wright said this

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to stay in the "league" long when running is your main forte as a QB. Looks good for awhile, but the body make up of QB's just doesn't lend itself to running the ball double-digits every game. Especially with the very strict concussion rules. One concussion will mean at least one missed game if not two.

Look at TUA, he doesn't even run much but the concussions have cost him 6 games this year.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    It's hard to stay in the "league" long when running is your main forte as a QB. Looks good for awhile, but the body make up of QB's just doesn't lend itself to running the ball double-digits every game. Especially with the very strict concussion rules. One concussion will mean at least one missed game if not two.

Look at TUA, he doesn't even run much but the concussions have cost him 6 games this year.

Cam Newton

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

My parents waste the electricity watching the Bears...I'll say to them I'm going downstairs to watch "Real Football"... :)

• Options
    edited September 18, 2023 4:59AM

it wasn't easy to bump this thread, but i felt like i needed to this morning. i have no problem admitting i was wrong, and after what i've been subjected to the first couple of weeks of this season, it appears as if i was way off base with regard to Fields. but here's the thing: often times fans stone the player without thinking outside the box. yes, Fields is regressing since i created this thread. but the bigger, more translucent picture says that Chicago is an organizational disaster. many of his teammates suck, many of his coaches suck, and let's face it, he is not a one-off. if you get bored, go look up the Bears' starting QBs since you've been alive. it is mind-numbingly laughable that an NFL franchise can muck up the most important position on the field as often as my team has in my 51 years of living on this planet.

so in my defense, i've basically been waiting my entire life for my team to acquire a difference-making signal-caller. i've built up so much hope over the years that it just seeps out uncontrollably when i see anything that resembles stellar quarterback play. but grote, who is a very wise man, said it best up above. Fields' legs are what i became enamored with, and once you take that away, there's not much to write home about. after laying a rotten egg against the Packers in week 1, i thought he'd be in eff you mode and take the game over against the Bucs. i.e., wear out his legs.

3 yards.

i really can't believe i'm looking at all of the available quarterbacks coming out of the college ranks next year. i just hope i'm wrong a second time about this guy, which would technically make me right in the first place.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2023 5:43AM

The Bears have ruined the most talented QB they’ve ever had. No I’m not saying Fields is an elite QB but he had the opportunity to be a starting QB.
    He’s not a pocket passer. He’s too slow on his reads. He is waiting for receivers to get “college” open. It isn’t happening in the NFL. His wind up is painfully slow. He’s afraid to cut it loose. All those things said he still had the opportunity to be an exciting addition to the offense.
    They’ve taken away the thing he’s the best at which is running.
    Do I blame coaching and not Fields? 50-50.
    The one play that sums up the game
    Who calls 2 screens in a row against a veteran defensive line? And why throw it into that scrum. 50-50

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2023 6:04AM

@2dueces said:
    The Bears have ruined the most talented QB they’ve ever had. No I’m not saying Fields is an elite QB but he had the opportunity to be a starting QB.
    He’s not a pocket passer. He’s too slow on his reads. He is waiting for receivers to get “college” open. It isn’t happening in the NFL. His wind up is painfully slow. He’s afraid to cut it loose. All those things said he still had the opportunity to be an exciting addition to the offense.
    Who calls 2 screens in a row against a veteran defensive line? And why throw it into that scrum. 50-50

very good post. completely on point.

when he drops back to pass, the game moves too fast for him. he is not thinking, reacting and moving through progressions as quickly and efficiently as he should. he blew holes through a receiver with his eyes against the Packers and Quay Walker banged his head on the goal post.

and the back-to-back screens yesterday were a prime example of what i was referring to with regard to the coaching staff. amateur hour, straight up. Shaq Barrett was like, "oh you're gonna run the exact same play because you know and i know that your QB can't throw the ball downfield?" gracias maximus.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 6:16AM

@2dueces said:

Who would want a starting QB in the NFL with those attributes you described? That isn't a QB you give an eight year contract to, and as such, when the opportunity arises you draft someone better...and it looks like they will have that chance in the 2024 draft.

Nothing you can do about it this year. They should just tank again at this point.

I do agree they should just let him run wild as that is all he can do well in the NFL and then maybe they can find a sucker to take him in a trade.

PS the Bears ownership is beyond awful.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Fields has gotten better and better, I'd be pretty happy with him

Stinks they got rid of Roquan Smith though, the D has some major issues

Looks like I was wrong as well but it's week 2 and he could turn it around and make us all eat our words.

Unlikely but there is a chance, I just don't think this poor man's version of Lamar Jax is going to be

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is crazy looking back how hyped people were about the 21 draft. there were actually comparisons to the 84 qb draft. can you imagine!

It sure appears that Lawrence may be the only superstar from the whole bunch. wilson, lance and fields are all a mess and Mac looks average at the very best.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@2dueces said:

Who would want a starting QB in the NFL with those attributes you described? That isn't a QB you give an eight year contract to, and as such, when the opportunity arises you draft someone better...and it looks like they will have that chance in the 2024 draft.

Nothing you can do about it this year. They should just tank again at this point.

I do agree they should just let him run wild as that is all he can do well in the NFL and then maybe they can find a sucker to take him in a trade.

PS the Bears ownership is beyond awful.

Not many but the right coaching he could be a starter. There are just so many to go around. Maybe a Lamar Jackson style offense from his first 2 seasons?

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stinks!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Last year was also a little out of the ordinary even for his rushing. He hit several 'home runs' on some running plays with some great moves and missed tackles turning into long gains. That isn't something to be expected to keep happening for a QB even if he tries to. That is what made those great games for him. I would expect that to normalize some too. He has already been caught by defenders one on one this year when running. Teams also will defense that more too.

• Options

At least no 2021 draft QB has completely Leaf'd or Marinovich'ed themselves as of yet.

• Options

@Ridethelightning said:
    At least no 2021 draft QB has completely Leaf'd or Marinovich'ed themselves as of yet.

just give it some time

• Options

This is a legendary thread.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

¿por qué?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@thisistheshow said:

¿por qué?

I remember when you posted it. You were filled with football hope. It's a beautiful, albeit rare, thing.

• Options

Also, @galaxy27, what you wrote about the organization around him is so true. It's really hard to truly judge a player, and for any player to blossom, when they are surrounded by institutional ineptitude.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

To give you an idea on the Bears franchise offense historically:

Justin Jefferson is 3 months past his 24th birthday and has played 52 games. He would be Chicago's all-time receiving yards leader.

• Options

it's a great time to be a Bears fan

thru 2 weeks the team looks as bad as it did last year with no marked improvement, with a trip to Arrowhead on tap this weekend

then today a couple of things happened.

first, Fields put the coaching staff on blast by saying that they are filling his head with so much crap that he's basically a robot on the field

then, the d-coord promptly resigned and rumors started trickling out that the FBI raided his house. i can hardly wait to see what that is all about.

i love my team ❤️

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    it's a great time to be a Bears fan

thru 2 weeks the team looks as bad as it did last year with no marked improvement, with a trip to Arrowhead on tap this weekend

then today a couple of things happened.

first, Fields put the coaching staff on blast by saying that they are filling his head with so much crap that he's basically a robot on the field

then, the d-coord promptly resigned and rumors started trickling out that the FBI raided his house. i can hardly wait to see what that is all about.

i love my team ❤️

Do I smell an upset forthcoming?

• Options

I dont know if i can ever remember of a QB basically calling himself low IQ. If I am interpreting this right, Fields is basically saying that he cannot quickly decipher the information in his head and the play happening on the field at the same time.

I am pretty sure that is a skill the great ones have in common.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Do I smell an upset forthcoming?

you may smell something, but i don't think it's that

• Options
    edited September 21, 2023 6:24AM

@craig44 said:

I dont know if i can ever remember of a QB basically calling himself low IQ. If I am interpreting this right, Fields is basically saying that he cannot quickly decipher the information in his head and the play happening on the field at the same time.

that was my takeaway as well. if you've watched a Bears game, which i'm sure you probably haven't because, well, you'd probably rather do anything else in life, then it's clear that the game is moving too fast for him.

3 days ago i posted in this thread and said i was surprised that he didn't approach the Tampa game in f u mode after the debacle against the Packers. then yesterday he came out and said his goal this week against the Chiefs is to go out there and say 'f it' and play instincts. lol

it could get ugly against that KC D

• Options

I just checked and he scored a 36/50 on the wonderlic test. the average QB score is 24. I guess, at least by that measure, he is not a total idiot. it definitely is not translating to the field though

• Options

He had five runs over 50/60 yards last year, most of which went for touchdowns. Those five plays encompass the bulk of his QB value last year.

Asking any QB to replicate that many long runs again is folly.

That many of those types of runs are equivalent to a career year type event.

Even if he tries to do that again, it won't happen. Everything has to fall into place for those types of runs to occur.

And that isn't even accounting for league defenses focusing on him differently now as a result of those runs.

They knew his limitations as a passer last year and should have traded him when his value was highest.

Then what happens when he loses a step?

The dude cannot pass.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I just checked and he scored a 36/50 on the wonderlic test. the average QB score is 24. I guess, at least by that measure, he is not a total idiot. it definitely is not translating to the field though

If I’m not mistaken they have done away with the Wonderlic test saying it was, well you know.
    It was a test meant to find out if you could think quick on your feet. Some players did very well and were not NFL material but over all it was a pretty good test for intelligence.
    The Bears are just ruining their latest QB. I honestly can’t put the blame entirely on Fields at this point. The organization is a train wreck

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Mike Greenberg deserves a standing O for this

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=38452471

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Mike Greenberg deserves a standing O for this

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=38452471

Poles has something to prove still too. He spent his league leading open cap money and didn't hit any home runs there. He did not do nearly enough with the offensive line.

He made a terrible trade for Claypoole. Not so much the trade itself, but the idea of trading that pick for a rental receiver when they just traded Smith for picks. It was counterproductive for re-building before Claypoole came and did nothing.

Should have drafted Jalen Carter. It was a gift he fell that far after they already traded the number one pick.

The Bears needed to hit several home runs in the draft to come back from the dead and Carter was a home run opportunity.

The idea that they needed 'veteran leadership' like the Eagles is a bad philosophy. That is what your coaches are for and then sign a few cheap respected veterans for that.

If Poles didn't think his coaches could do that job then he hired bad coaches.

That pick is going to haunt them.

Organization blows but don't exonerate Fields. Fields is not a good passer. Nagy saw it. Nagy did some weird things but he seems to have some idea what a good QB is.

Fields is on his second coach. He isn't a good passer with either one of them. The coaches have nothing to do with him throwing inaccurate passes.

Fields does have a strong arm and he will throw it down field to a wide open receiver...although with a windup that looks like Juan Marichal.

He just doesn't do good scanning the field and throwing it to the right guy.` Or throwing it all because he is afraid and would rather run or check down.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

from the Chicago Sun Times...

:)

• Options

Great first quarter for Fields
    11-22 99 yards 47 rushing

Wait
    , what? Whisper in my ear. Those are game totals?

Never mind

W.C.Fields