Home Sports Talk
Options

How bad is Josh Allen injury?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are reports that he may need Tommy John surgery, I hope it isn't that bad, you can see in this photo the hit that caused the injury.

Josh Allen Tommy John surgery fears surface for Bills after reports of UCL injury

The Buffalo Bills were hit with a worrying injury update to Josh Allen after the star quarterback sustained an elbow ailment late during the Week 9 loss vs. the New York Jets. While initial reports were optimistic that Allen had avoided serious injury, NFL insider Chris Mortensen indicated that the star QB is now being evaluated for a potential ulnar collateral ligament injury.

Via Chris Mortensen on Twitter:

“Bills QB Josh Allen is being evaluated for an elbow injury to his ulnar collateral ligament and related nerves, per source. Bills coach Sean McDermott said earlier team hopes to have more info Tuesday.”

Ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) injuries are largely linked to Tommy John surgery among MLB circles, a common procedure for pitchers to undergo if they pick up an elbow injury. The report of a UCL injury for Josh Allen has led to speculation that he may require Tommy John surgery, though the Bills have not confirmed any of those rumors.

We won’t know more until Tuesday, but Bills fans were surely be holding their breath until the team provides its next update on the MVP candidate.

Tommy John surgery typically requires a lengthy absence. Most MLB pitchers who undergo the procedure are sidelined for more than a full season, and sometimes two.

Allen was seen grabbing at his throwing elbow during the fourth quarter of the loss to the Jets, clearly in some discomfort. Now it seems the pain he was in is related to an injury to his UCL, which is a significant concern for the organization.

Hopefully, Josh Allen Tommy John surgery isn’t something the Bills have to explore too deeply, as he is in the midst of a career year in Buffalo. But any injury to the ulnar collateral ligament is a major concern for a player who relies so heavily upon his arm, and the Bills will explore every possible option.

Bills fans should keep their eyes peeled for another update on Allen, as the organization indicated there would be more information available on Tuesday.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 8, 2022 3:18AM

Josh Allen said after the Jets game, "There's some slight pain, but we'll get through it." I hope it's not too serious, he's one of my favorite players, incredible athlete.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he threw a long laser beam pass the next play? I'm assuming he must be ok

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, I hope it isnt serious. This is supposed to be Buffalo's year. I love to Watch Allen. He is my 2nd favorite active QB

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I think he threw a long laser beam pass the next play? I'm assuming he must be ok

I watched that whole game and Josh Allen was grabbing at his arm after just about every throw after the hit.

Some of it is the pain tolerance and some is risk of further damage but plenty of pitchers blow out their elbows then still finish the inning throwing in pain and thinking it’s a cramp or a mild strain.

When my dad ruptured his Achilles, there was no pain at all. He only realized something was really wrong when he got it the car and couldn’t push the pedal; he could walk without pain and a mild limp so he thought it was nothing.

You never really know until they take the pictures…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

that is correct, they will not know until they get pictures of it. all speculation until then.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a season ender type of injury? I read a few articles about his injury but none mentioned a timeframe if he's out.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Caution should be exercised or else he could blow out his arm completely at any time. Doesn't it take MLB pitchers at least one season to fully recover from TJ surgery??

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Verlander had Tommy John surgery in October 2020 and missed the 2021 season while rehabbing. Although you couldn't say it was easy, Verlander's return was very successful.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

For Josh, this is the same injury he sustained in his rookie season. On the surface, that situation seemed more severe. To reminisce, Allen left after he took a shot to his elbow and was seen in pain on the sideline immediately.

When this occurred in 2018, Josh Allen missed four games, which amounted to five weeks of recovery due to a bye week. He was able to return to action with a brace thereafter.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

I have read that UCL injuries are not quite as serious for QBs than for baseball pitchers for a few reasons: less torque on elbow because of different mechanics, less overall throwing for QBs, Pitchers, in-game, throw max effort much more often than QB's do.

I have a feeling, that unless the UCL is blown, Allen will play again this season. if it is pretty bad, they will rest him for a few weeks and then manage it.

conjecture only.

• Options

I have been glued to the news all day concerning his injury and nothing yet, still waiting for the update.

• Options

@doubledragon, let us know as soon as you hear.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    @doubledragon, let us know as soon as you hear.

I definitely will, he's one of my favorite players and it's driving me crazy!

• Options

I highly doubt they will say much until it's time to list the injury report

• Options

They need Allen this weekend, they got the red hot Vikings at home. If Allen is down then I think Case Keenum will be the starter.

• Options

Here is a video of the play that presumably injured Josh Allen.

• Options

Oh man, this waiting is driving me nuts, I'm going to go grab a juice box. What flavor you ask? Apple of course, what else.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Oh man, this waiting is driving me nuts, I'm going to go grab a juice box. What flavor you ask? Apple of course, what else.

That new hairdo looks great. 😉

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

That new hairdo looks great. 😉

Thank you sir, I'm getting my nails done next week!

• Options
    edited November 8, 2022 2:48PM

This is s quote from a Chiefs fan on Twitter, I think this sums up how everyone feels about this situation right now.

"The NFL is greater with Josh Allen out there on the field every week. I don’t care who he plays for that man has my respect and regardless of the severity of the injury I hope he comes back and lights it up. The entire NFL hangs in the balance waiting for this news right now."

• Options

Man, the Bills sure are keeping this airtight, not a peep all day.

• Options

i know, i have been waiting all day. I hope this doesnt mean bad news...

I truly believe Allen is the most physically gifted QB in the league. I love to watch him play

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to say, based on what I've seen, that this is a "little to no" time missed scenario. Not season ending for sure. Might have to change up the offense a bit.

• Options

The latest that I'm hearing is that Sean McDermott will definitely 100% speak tomorrow, so I guess we're going to have to wait one more day. I've been glued to this all day long, it's 8:59 p.m. Eastern, way past my bedtime, I'm fading fast.

• Options

I can't hold on much longer.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2022 7:07PM

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate it when a good guy gets hurt, hope he's ok.................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

From ESPN today:

"Case Keenum is the Bills' backup quarterback. If Allen is unable to go, Keenum would face the Vikings, one of his former teams, alongside Diggs, the receiver who caught the "Minneapolis Miracle" reception from him."

Talk about drama..........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:
    From ESPN today:

"Case Keenum is the Bills' backup quarterback. If Allen is unable to go, Keenum would face the Vikings, one of his former teams, alongside Diggs, the receiver who caught the "Minneapolis Miracle" reception from him."

Talk about drama..........

That would be dramatic, if I recall correctly, I think the Vikings actually kicked Case Keenum to the curb so they could get Cousins, maybe a little revenge game for Keenum.

• Options

The news that McDermitt will speak with media today is disconcerting. They knew yesterday what the problem was. it sounds like they are taking the extra day to get messaging just right.

• Options

I just saw that the injury doesnt seem to be a major one. they are calling it a UCL sprain, but his status for sunday is up in the air for now. Article said he has had this before.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I just saw that the injury doesnt seem to be a major one. they are calling it a UCL sprain, but his status for sunday is up in the air for now. Article said he has had this before.

That's what I'm seeing as well, a UCL sprain. Stefon Diggs tweeted out the word "rejoice" last night, it's kind of a cryptic tweet, there's speculation that his tweet has to do with Josh Allen's injury, so it looks like Allen may have avoided the big one here.

• Options

I still want to hear what Sean McDermott has to say, he's supposed to speak sometime today.

• Options

Well, apparently Sean McDermott has spoken to the media today, and he said Josh Allen is day-to-day, he will not practice today, and that "we'll see" if Allen is available for Sunday's game against the Vikings. So it looks like we aren't going to get much from McDermott.

• Options

this is all good to hear. It would have been awful had he needed tommy john

• Options

Here is a video clip of McDermott today, he isn't going to give us much, that's for sure.

• Options

I just read that the long pass Allen uncorked just 2 plays after the injury went 69.3 yards in the air. the longest pass any QB has thrown in the last 6 seasons.

I guess that ends the discussion of which current QB has the strongest arm. 69 yards in the air with a sprained elbow.

holy cow!!

• Options

Allen is a stud for sure, and a nice guy, no ARodg doofus-ness there...........

• Options
    edited November 9, 2022 1:26PM

@doubledragon said:
    Well, apparently Sean McDermott has spoken to the media today, and he said_** Josh Allen is day-to-day**_, he will not practice today, and that "we'll see" if Allen is available for Sunday's game against the Vikings. So it looks like we aren't going to get much from McDermott.

But then, aren't we all day to day

• Options

^^^ heavens knows I am!!

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the local news programs here in Buffalo is speculating Allen won't play Sunday.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much ado about nothing.
    But I do wonder if he will suck even more than he had been after this injury.
    Last six quarters uninjured 0 TD passes 4 picks, 47% completion percentage, QB rating of 31.

I happened to be watching hockey last night and saw a far more gruesome injury. Evander Kane
    got his wrist skated over by an opposing player. Checked on him this morning and looks like he'll miss
    3 months. I didn't even want to watch replays of it on the internet it was an awful injury.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    The news that McDermitt will speak with media today is disconcerting. They knew yesterday what the problem was. it sounds like they are taking the extra day to get messaging just right.

Or the point spread adjustment.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the injury is not that bad, but still injured, the area in question will be in a weakened state. And thereby being in such a weakened state it may not take much of a hit to make it worse.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

i would give him the week to heal. more important for him to be healthy in december/january

• Options

This is reminiscent of the Baker Mayfield injury last season, he should have sat until fully healed instead of playing limited and risking further, worse injury. BM was fortunate to make it to season's end without more injury. If Josh Allen plays it seems clear he'll be on a short leash but the risk of something else happening is always there and happens in a heartbeat.

The way these things usually go is the medical staff advises the threat of further injury by playing. If JA can throw the ball and not hurt himself it all comes down to his pain level tolerance. Based on that I will say he'll be playing. As everyone else has said, I sure don't want to see him uncork a long, hard throw followed by seeing him head to the sideline with his arm hanging dead by his side.

• Options

I believe his injury is not at risk of getting worse over hits but from overextending his arm, that's a big difference right there

• Options

^^^^ this. wasnt Bakers injury in the Shoulder? seems I remember that.

• Options

Baker Mayfield's injury was to his non-throwing shoulder, I didn't mean to imply that it was also an elbow injury. My point was as @perkdog has stated, not at risk of being hurt further from him playing. The danger is injury from being hit when he isn't fully healed, the difference is that it's his throwing arm.

• Options
    edited November 11, 2022 8:06PM

Reading btween the lines: looks like Keenum will start vs. Vikes, praying for his revenge:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35002620/bills-not-rushing-decision-qb-josh-allen-vs-vikings