Home U.S. Coin Forum

Special Label Reholdering at PCGS for a Cracked Slab

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a lovely (actually two) Classic Head half eagles from the recent SB auction of Daryl Haynor's nice collection, which used a custom label with a Classic Head cutout on the printed label and The Virginia Collection along with the grade and attribution. Alas, when I pulled it out of the safe recently, I noticed the slab had cracked rather badly. I suppose I must send it in for the Reholder service, but I want to make sure it keeps the custom label and other info. Anyone know how I do this or had similar experience along this line? Here's a photo of the slab in question (pre-cracking).

Thanks for any input.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's a straight reholder, I don't think there's a problem using the same label.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2022 6:25AM

@jmlanzaf Have you done this yourself? I am afraid to presume much these days at PCGS, given some of the horror stories I've seen. Should I just make a request in the comments section of the submission form and let it fly? Thanks.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the info (pedigree, variety) will transfer to the new label/slab. Only thing that could pose a snag would be the classic head picture. PCGS should be able to print that same label though. Only labels that sometimes become problems are signature labels, where if pcgs can’t easily remove the signature label on a reholder, you risk losing that label in the new slab.

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2022 7:35AM

I had a similar experience with an NGC label. Bought a coin at auction and the auction photos showed an NGC slab with a nice EPN label listing Newman and Col. Green as the pedigree, I’m into pedigrees. What I received was an NGC slab, simple white label, without any special label or pedigree. I said whoa wait a minute that is not the slab pictured and not the slab I bid on. The auction house took the slab, returned it to NGC for reholdering, and now the slab has the correct pedigree and is as it appeared in the auction photos. So yes the inserts can even be reprinted at NGC, so I don’t imagine you’ll have any trouble- I would be surprised if PCGS isn’t equally equipped.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2022 10:36AM

Some pedigree info that might be helpful.

Edited to add:
    You probably already know this, but CS for the 'Set Registry' has their own phone number:

@Floridafacelifter said:
    I had a similar experience with an NGC label. Bought a coin at auction and the auction photos showed an NGC slab with a nice EPN label listing Newman and Col. Green as the pedigree, I’m into pedigrees. What I received was an NGC slab, simple white label, without any special label or pedigree. I said whoa wait a minute that is not the slab pictured and not the slab I bid on. The auction house took the slab, returned it to NGC for reholdering, and now the slab has the correct pedigree and is as it appeared in the auction photos. So yes the inserts can even be reprinted at NGC, so I don’t imagine you’ll have any trouble- I would be surprised if PCGS isn’t equally equipped.

Well, I got the coin back. They managed to get the Classic Head design and the cert #/other details right ... but left off The Virginia Collection. Jeez, how hard is this? Any QC going on around there, PCGS? @##%)&(( *(%!

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    Well, I got the coin back. They managed to get the Classic Head design and the cert #/other details right ... but left off The Virginia Collection. Jeez, how hard is this? Any QC going on around there, PCGS? @##%)&(( *(%!

I am sorry that you are experiencing an issue.

Just curious - how does PCGS plan to rectify the situation (e.g., send you a pre-paid shipping label for the return trip)?

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have any idea what caused the slab to crack while it was in your safe?

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

Submit at FUN under a mech error reholder and get it taken care of there in ~24 hours. It’ll be quicker than mailing back to California and waiting several weeks to finish.

I feel your pain because most (if not all) of my orders since may have been label mistakes. I’m beginning to wonder what the QA step in the holdering process actually does/accomplishes?

@MetroD said:

@giorgio11 said:

I am sorry that you are experiencing an issue.

Just curious - how does PCGS plan to rectify the situation (e.g., send you a pre-paid shipping label for the return trip)?

I'm not going to hassle any further over it. Any blockhead can find the auction it came from. Daryl Haynor's Stack's Bowers coin. @madman I'm not going to FUN. @davewesen No idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file