Home U.S. Coin Forum

For the toning experts

I've never bought/owned a coin that had no toning and held it until it did...until now. Any toned coins I've ever owned were old and purchased that way. In 2021 I bought this 2 oz Australia piece new and most likely just because I liked the platypus. A spontaneous moment whether wise or not. Anyway, I go into my safe tonight and see it has a light pink toning starting around the rim. When I bought it was spotless and went right into the capsule the same day. I'm no expert on toning or that process as I've always bought blast white coins or old US 1800's. I thought rim toning happened over years and not this sudden. I didn't do anything to the coin with the intention for it to tone. Is this due to temperature in my safe or chemical on the coin from the minting process? Or can coins just start to tone in 18 months (give or take). I have not tried any AT experiments at all on this so genuinely curious.
Best to look at the rim at the 11:00 position but it looks light in the photo than it when the coin is in hand.

Pocket Change Inspector

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toning occurs because something in the local environment or atmosphere reacts with the surface metal of the coinage. It can happen rapidly (usually with AT) or very slowly. In this case, the coin in question is 0.999+ fine silver and that tends to tone a little more easily than typical coinage silver. Perhaps there was a contaminant on the gasket ring you have against the piece or maybe your safe has a fire retardant in it that has caused the reaction. I wouldn't worry much about it as it is quite light and can be easily dipped off.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I quit using the Air-Tite with the foam ring on my ASE's because they were causing toning much like yours. ;)
    The direct fit with no foam is all I use now.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like tarnish may be from the foam insert as mentioned above. Will continue if you leave it that way. If you do not like it, a quick dip will remove it without harming the coin. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file