Home Sports Talk

Boston Bruins - best start ever. 38-5-4

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 25, 2023 1:56AM in Sports Talk

I approve of this message

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for missing the point and the punchline... but has the season started yet? Not the Hockey guy.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

And they celebrated that start by.........signing Mitchell Miller.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2022 8:23AM

@Tabe said:
    And they celebrated that start by.........signing Mitchell Miller.

14-2 Bruins 😎

Think they got rid of Miller.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is pretty amazing. do they look like the real deal, or is it a good fortune record?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

edited November 22, 2022 7:32AM

@craig44 said:
    that is pretty amazing. do they look like the real deal, or is it a good fortune record?

Cup #7 this year !!!!!

Get ready for another parade 🥳

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stanley Cup playoffs are a beast. Having to beat a team 4 times over a 2 week period. And getting a tough matchup in one of the 4 series if you make it to the cup.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a great time right now to be a Bruins or Celtics fan. The B's are off to their best start in team history,have won 4 straight and are a +30 in Goal Differential while the C's have the best record in the NBA,won 7 straight and are on pace for the highest Offensive Rating in NBA history. Now if the Patriots could just get with the program. 😉

@Goldenage said:

@craig44 said:

Cup #7 this year !!!!!

No team has won the President's Trophy with 119+ points and gone on to win the Stanley Cup. :)

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

@craig44 said:

Cup #7 this year !!!!!

No team has won the President's Trophy with 119+ points and gone on to win the Stanley Cup. :)

Why not us ?

Sincerely,
    2004 Red Sox
    2022 Bruins

😊

Maybe I will follow the C's and B's a little more closely. I know basketball pretty well, just haven't actively followed it for awhile. I am pretty clueless about hockey, but would hope the home town team wins

edited November 22, 2022 12:46AM

Someone pinch me 😀

Big game in Tampa next.

🥅 🏒

5-3 Win

17-2-0

😎

Amazingly the Devils are 16-3-0.

How in the world did that happen ?

i wonder why the Bruins have been so dominant this season so far? did they have a great draft? pick up important free agents? weak schedule?

@craig44 said:
    i wonder why the Bruins have been so dominant this season so far? did they have a great draft? pick up important free agents? weak schedule?

Great young players getting even better with age and experience .

They are chasing the 1929 Bruins whose GM and coach was Art Ross.

Bruins 21-3-1

Devils 21-4-1

They meet twice in NJ in late December.

Can’t remember the last time two teams got off to blistering starts like this.

25-4-2

Big games with NJ next.

🥅🏒👍

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m impressed. But the Sabres are showing signs of life finally, are 7-2-1 in their last 10 and over .500. They’re a fun young team.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    I’m impressed. But the Sabres are showing signs of life finally, are 7-2-1 in their last 10 and over .500. They’re a fun young team.

I agree. I love Buffalo too. Perrault was awesome. I wish them well.

Goal differential is off the charts.

Keep it up and they could break
    the Top 10.

Long way to go though.

Boston is 24th out of 32 teams in team height.

Like the 1995 Red Wings who were also smaller,, they just work very hard in all three zones.

Great goaltending is helping also.

Bruins could reach a team goal differential of +140.

Would break the top 10, but fall way short of Scotty Bowman’s teams.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I mentioned their great start to a buddy of mine who follows sports closely. He said they have been playing a lot of games at home.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

Seems that 8 of the top 9 highest goal differentials happening in the 70s just means it was a lopsided time to play. Looks like it also corresponds to the league almost doubling in size from 12 to 21 teams in addition to competition from the WHA. A watered down time for the league for sure, no wonder the best teams racked up such huge points differentials.

Robb

• SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

I mentioned their great start to a buddy of mine who follows sports closely. He said they have been playing a lot of games at home.

22H 18A . All four losses were away though.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SlipKid said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

22H 18A . All four losses were away though.

I'll apologize for my buddy😁

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited January 11, 2023 2:09AM

@fergie23 said:
    Seems that 8 of the top 9 highest goal differentials happening in the 70s just means it was a lopsided time to play. Looks like it also corresponds to the league almost doubling in size from 12 to 21 teams in addition to competition from the WHA. A watered down time for the league for sure, no wonder the best teams racked up such huge points differentials.

Robb

If that be true then now is lopsided also with the Bruins great run.

This Bruins team only has two HOF candidates on it. Possibly three.

Scotty Bowman had more to do with those goal differences, as did Bobby Orr and Al Arbour.

1995 RedWings was Bowman also

This Bruins team is getting Dryden like goaltending which is a big reason why they are dominant.

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

I suppose we may have been watching different games in the 70s.

I recall double digit goal totals against the Seals, Canucks, Red Wings, Penguins, Capitals and Scouts/Rockies.

Part of that was done purposefully (money) and incompetence. While there always are bad teams, that period may have had the biggest gap until the talent pool caught up.

Currently, the Hawks, Ducks, Blue Jackets and Canadiens have pretty big negative differentials in the drive for Bedard.

@georgebailey2 said:

I recall double digit goal totals against the Seals, Canucks, Red Wings, Penguins, Capitals and Scouts/Rockies.

Part of that was done purposefully (money) and incompetence. While there always are bad teams, that period may have had the biggest gap until the talent pool caught up.

Currently, the Hawks, Ducks, Blue Jackets and Canadiens have pretty big negative differentials in the drive for Bedard.

Because of your Flyers the 70s became a fight league.

Teams would roster 5-6 guys who could fight only.

Montreal didn’t. They had Robinson who flattened Schultz.

Islanders didn’t. Gillies beat all your guys besides Wilson.

Skating teams like Montreal the Islanders and Orr took advantage of these goons that had to be in the NHL because of the Flyers.

The talented skaters who couldn’t fight were in junior, Russia or Sweden.

Terry Oreilly and Stan Jonathan weren’t great players.

But you guys had Schultz, Kelly,DuPont, Bridgman, Holmgren, and Kindrachuk.

Teams had to match that.

Montreal and NYI didn’t fall for it.
    They stuck with skaters.

Again. Scotty Bowman is a genius.

@georgebailey2 said:

I suggest you check the NHL scoring leaders from the 60s , 70s and 80s to see which era had the most goals scored.

The 80s is by far the easiest decade to score in. It isn’t even close man.

edited January 11, 2023 8:07AM

Look at those 80’s goals per game .

The most watered down time in the history of hockey.

All those goals in the 80’s and Edmonton couldn’t sniff Scotty Bowman’s goal difference with his 70’s Montreal teams.

Suggest you read this too.
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nhl/news/highest-scoring-nhl-game-all-time-list/ekyrhhkk0dk9kv4jeq7eoiyd

Goal differential is different than goals per game.

It's not worth the time nor effort to address any of the other stuff.

@georgebailey2 said:

You said you recall double digit goal totals in the 70’s yet there were way more in the 80’s.

Did you forget the 80’s ?
    That’s when Wayne played.

Please explain.

@Goldenage said:

@georgebailey2 said:

You said you recall double digit goal totals in the 70’s yet there were way more in the 80’s.

Please explain.

Again, the discussion is goal differential, not goals per game. Winning 6-1 provides a higher differential than winning 9-7.

Just a quick look at the 216 differential from the 76-77 Canadiens shows they played 26 games against the Penguins, Capitals, Rockies, Barons and Red Wings (5 teams). They went 22-0-4, scoring 139 goals with 36 against for a differential of 103, just under half for the season. 2 (21-1) of their 3 (11-3 against Chicago being the 3rd) 10+ goal games were in this group. Those 3 games alone were a plus 28. Basically, they lost 8 relatively close games and blew out their victories, particularly feasting handily on certain weak teams.

@georgebailey2 said:

@Goldenage said:

@georgebailey2 said:

Please explain.

Again, the discussion is goal differential, not goals per game. Winning 6-1 provides a higher differential than winning 9-7.

Just a quick look at the 216 differential from the 76-77 Canadiens shows they played 26 games against the Penguins, Capitals, Rockies, Barons and Red Wings (5 teams). They went 22-0-4, scoring 139 goals with 36 against for a differential of 103, just under half for the season. 2 (21-1) of their 3 (11-3 against Chicago being the 3rd) 10+ goal games were in this group. Those 3 games alone were a plus 28. Basically, they lost 8 relatively close games and blew out their victories, particularly feasting handily on certain weak teams.

Yes, the NHL always has weaker teams. That we all know. Some finish in first. Some in last.

The Oilers played against weaker teams during a time when goals were easier to get then in the 70’s.

Why couldn’t the Oilers match the Canadiens goal difference?

I’ll give you the answer.

Scotty Bowman getting guys who would work their butts off in all three zones. Ken Dryden too.

Has nothing to do with a weaker league. The league was much weaker in the early to mid 80’s.

Goaltending atrocious.

edited January 11, 2023 11:32AM

1983-84 season. Just as bad as the 70’s, if not worse. 2nd place Calgary with a negative goal difference.
    Pittsburgh and NJ ? Oh my.
    Gretzky called them Mickey Mouse team and organization.

edited January 12, 2023 1:34PM

@Goldenage said:

Goaltending atrocious.

So you understand that 80s goaltending was overall bad but can't figure out why that might reduce goal differential? Or that expansion from 6 to 21 teams in just a few years might increase goal differential artificially?

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

Goaltending atrocious.

So you understand that 80s goaltending was overall bad but can't figure out why that might reduce goal differential? Or that expansion from 6 to 21 teams in just a few years might increase goal differential artificially?

The Oilers had the only HOF young goalie in the 80’s and couldn’t crack the top 10 in goal differential because they didn’t work as hard in their own zone defensively as the 70’s Habs teams did.

Sather even sat 99 an entire period once because he was a goal hanger and played no defense.

Imagine the NBA losing the dream team players in the 90’s with no good replacements.

In the 70’s the NHL lost

Plante (greatest ever)
    Sawchuk (2nd greatest)
    Hall
    Dryden
    Giacomin
    Parent
    Cheevers
    Worsley

Only one guy came along from 1973-1981 to replace them. Billy Smith.

Billy was a John Stockton.

Plante, Sawchuk, Dryden, Parent were Jordan, Magic and Bird.

edited January 13, 2023 3:49AM

The NHL will always have stars, super stars, and role players.

Only once did it have a player that needed a better league to play in.

50 years from now it will be the same.

League isn’t better today.
    Equipment sure is though.
    So are PEDs.
    Chicken, broccoli, and potatoes have, and will stay the same.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

Goldenage, you don't seem to understand basic math. More goals scored on average doesn't mean a higher goal differential. The chart you posted shows that there was something wrong in the league in the 70s with respect to competitive balance, it is as simple as that.

It would be like looking at a chart of all time single season home run leaders and concluding that the greatest sluggers in MLB history played in the late 90s and early 2000s without considering why the stats are skewed during that era.

Robb

@Goldenage said:

The Oilers had the only HOF young goalie in the 80’s

You're right, Patrick Roy didn't play in the 80s.

@fergie23 said:
    Goldenage, you don't seem to understand basic math. More goals scored on average doesn't mean a higher goal differential. The chart you posted shows that there was something wrong in the league in the 70s with respect to competitive balance, it is as simple as that.

Imagine that - adding a whole bunch of guys who aren't good enough to be in the NHL, sticking them all together on the same teams, and you end up with some really bad teams. Go figure. I mean, we're talking a league that had a team (75 Capitals) that averaged losing by 3-1/2 goals every night. But, yeah, clearly that only happened because the teams were so darned great.

edited January 14, 2023 1:13AM

@fergie23 said:

It would be like looking at a chart of all time single season home run leaders and concluding that the greatest sluggers in MLB history played in the late 90s and early 2000s without considering why the stats are skewed during that era.

Robb

Never said it did.

George said he remembered double digit goal totals from the 70’s.

I asked him how he forgot all the goal totals from the 80’s ?

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

Forgot the word early.
    You know I’ve referenced 1974-1985 as the worst influx of goalie talent the NHL has ever seen.

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

Forgot the word early.
    You know I’ve referenced 1974-1985 as the worst influx of goalie talent the NHL has ever seen.

Roy debuted on 2/23/85.

edited January 14, 2023 1:34AM

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

Forgot the word early.

Roy debuted on 2/23/85.

Yes. That’s after 1985.
    Well done.

Even if you throw Roy into a 1974-1986 span it’s still the worst new goalie talent ever.

You mentioning Roy is irrelevant no matter how you look at it.